Arsenal v City (Community Shield) Post Match Thread

Marvin said:
cleavers said:
Marvin said:
The attitude was all wrong. Arsenal wanted to win that whereas we treated the opening minutes like a training game. We deserved to be humiliated.
We weren't "humiliated" though, and you know why, because we took it for what it was, a pre season friendly (not a training game). Arsenal wanted to win, because they are still hurting after falling apart in the title race last year.

I don't understand this humiliated, embarrased crap, as was posted by someone else yesterday we have 60 games to play this season, and this was the 61st in importance, so its little wonder that fans, players, and club gave it much the same priority. As a fan, with away games, and european away games, I'm not wasting £50-100 on something I have no interest in (supporting the FA's coffers).
We were.

How many times do teams get beat 3-0 at Wembley.

And to top it off, Arsenal fans were able to sing You're support is f shit especially when the attendance was announced and everyone could work out just how many City fans were there

Easy for them cunts to get to Wembley though Marvin, we as a club have been down there 6 times now in the past 3 seasons, facts are City fans have filled Wembley easily for every game apart from the two Wembley charity shield matches.

Its like us half filling Old Trafford if the charity game was in Manchester-we would piss it and you know it-besides there were plenty of empty seats in there end yesterday-for a game that the tarquins can either jump in a taxi to or fucking peddle there.

WhenProgrammesWereAShilling said:
Was one of the 18000 (really?) and must admit im still trying to get my head round what MP actually achieved yesterday. Last week he said the game was an important friendly that he wanted to win. Then he let everyone know that he was keeping our top players out of the game because of fitness issues- surely he could have given them a run out for 45 minutes by starting with 4 or 5 of them then switching at half-time? Wouldn't that have helped with fitness and we may have got a look at Lampard in sky blue which would have been a good story. Now MP says it was pre season/last season, the new season starts next week!

Then i look at the players he did play and question whether it did them any good because we were awful in the first half and yes- i accept its a friendly but performing badly and getting beaten heavily does the confidence no good at all. I know i didn't feel great on the way home, Christ knows what our defence felt like. What did we actually learn about anyone that played that we didn't know already? It reinforced my opinion that we should sell Boyata to the rags.

Maybe ive got it wrong- after all MPs the man in charge and he's a winner, i do like the guy and don't want to sound over the top. Sometimes though he gets it wrong in my opinion, and i think he did yesterday. Look at what Wenger achieved- he played most of his squad, they didn't over exert themselves, kept a clean sheet and scored some cracking goals. Confidence up and the media are talking of them as possible champions this year. Gooners loved it and erased the memory of the 6 we put passed them last year. Fair play he got it right.

'A win next week and its forgotten'... i agree. Someone tell me what was the bloody point of it all.

Signed... pissed off and carnt wait for (pre/this/next) season to start!

How can you know that he 'got it wrong'?Yesterday's result mattered 1% of what the league games matter, and he's clearly playing the long game on a 60 game season. If he'd have played the big guns and vinny or zab or Sergio or fernandinho suffered a muscle tear or another fatigue injury, or we end the season with sone of those players off form through exhaustion, then the entire season could be on the line.

As it is those players are going to be fresher and fitter, so he can't lose. Yesterday's result was meaningless so he got it right. The idea that world stars like ours have their confidence dented from a reserve team friendly, or need to gel, is ridiculous.

The concern for the early part of the season is that the big guns aren't rested enough, not that they haven't played enough. I wish people would think a little.

The Light Was Yellow said:
Apologies for this but looking for advice on jam making, bread making and children's issues. Any advice welcome. I have posted this as I assume I have wandered into a women's institute/mumsnet forum by mistake, with all the mewling and crying going on.
We lost a game of football and not a very important game of football at that. Given the attitude of the people on here I can't believe what I read in many posts. Other teams are not allowed to play well against us, ever. We can never, ever, have an 'off-day'. Pellers should have been manager of the month 3 months ago, now he doesn't know what he is doing! Treat it like a training game and it's shameful. Imagine if he'd played the first team, said give it everything and we'd had 2 injured, 4 booked and 1 sent off. What's the point of doing that for a tin pot pre season friendly, many of you snipers would be saying.
It's this sense of entitlement some of you have I find the most disappointing. Teams in red have always had that but City, surely not!!
Some of you seem to have forgotten the cameraderie and sense of humour, for which we were once famed. Some of you seem to expect to win every week, whilst offering nothing when things are not going perfectly. Constant criticism of the players and the manager is probably not always helpful. Someone actually booed when Dzecko was announced yesterday, ffs.

T o be fair to most posters there is a concern for the match fitness of our key players rather than being arsed about the result.Booing any city player anytime is a complete no-no so thats disappointing to hear

Wrap the last few weeks up however you want - it's still disappointing, disappointing in terms of performance, profile, confidence, momentum etc and disappointing for those that made the effort to go yesterday . The last results have also boosted our rivals and given them the confidence and encouragement we wanted for ourselves. It's hopefully not pivotal in the scheme of things but the usual dismissals of it's only a friendly, we had players out, etc etc are a little in denial.
Of course a win next Sunday and all is forgotten (playing wise, perhaps not commercially yet). A loss and - well should be interesting on here!

Didsbury Dave said:
Was one of the 18000 (really?) and must admit im still trying to get my head round what MP actually achieved yesterday. Last week he said the game was an important friendly that he wanted to win. Then he let everyone know that he was keeping our top players out of the game because of fitness issues- surely he could have given them a run out for 45 minutes by starting with 4 or 5 of them then switching at half-time? Wouldn't that have helped with fitness and we may have got a look at Lampard in sky blue which would have been a good story. Now MP says it was pre season/last season, the new season starts next week!

Then i look at the players he did play and question whether it did them any good because we were awful in the first half and yes- i accept its a friendly but performing badly and getting beaten heavily does the confidence no good at all. I know i didn't feel great on the way home, Christ knows what our defence felt like. What did we actually learn about anyone that played that we didn't know already? It reinforced my opinion that we should sell Boyata to the rags.

Maybe ive got it wrong- after all MPs the man in charge and he's a winner, i do like the guy and don't want to sound over the top. Sometimes though he gets it wrong in my opinion, and i think he did yesterday. Look at what Wenger achieved- he played most of his squad, they didn't over exert themselves, kept a clean sheet and scored some cracking goals. Confidence up and the media are talking of them as possible champions this year. Gooners loved it and erased the memory of the 6 we put passed them last year. Fair play he got it right.

'A win next week and its forgotten'... i agree. Someone tell me what was the bloody point of it all.

How can you know that he 'got it wrong'?Yesterday's result mattered 1% of what the league games matter, and he's clearly playing the long game on a 60 game season. If he'd have played the big guns and vinny or zab or Sergio or fernandinho suffered a muscle tear or another fatigue injury, or we end the season with sone of those players off form through exhaustion, then the entire season could be on the line.

As it is those players are going to be fresher and fitter, so he can't lose. Yesterday's result was meaningless so he got it right. The idea that world stars like ours have their confidence dented from a reserve team friendly, or need to gel, is ridiculous.

The concern for the early part of the season is that the big guns aren't rested enough, not that they haven't played enough. I wish people would think a little.
Losing on that stage coupled with a couple of bad opening results in the League could damage confidence

I don't blame Pellegrini for playing a weakened defence, but knowing what he was going in with, why play 3 in midfield and Navas wide when Arsenal had 5 in there? Dzeko was non-existent and they just bossed the possession until they scored, and then sat deep and counter-attacked for the rest of the game. I think pellegrini should have been more conservative in this game with his midfield and attack knowing that his defence would be vulnerable

Presumably he thought Kompany, Aguero etc needed 2/3 really intense training sessions to get them close for Kick Off

We might have a week to Kick off, but realistically that's only allows 2-3 intense training sessions of a kind which could bring a players fitness on as you need to recover afterwards

Marvin said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Losing on that stage coupled with a couple of bad opening results in the League could damage confidence

I don't blame Pellegrini for playing a weakened defence, but knowing what he was going in with, why play 3 in midfield and Navas wide when Arsenal had 5 in there? Dzeko was non-existent and they just bossed the possession until they scored, and then sat deep and counter-attacked for the rest of the game. I think pellegrini should have been more conservative in this game with his midfield and attack knowing that his defence would be vulnerable

Of course losing the first couple of league games wouldn't be good.

But neither would a plague of man eating rats in the greater Manchester area.

The season hasn't started.

It hasn't started.

So stop doing your Marvin the paranoid android impression all over the forum. You're miles off beam. You'd certainly be the loudest fucking whinger if we fell at the final hurdle in the premier league or champions league because our players were exhausted.

We lost because we played a shadow team. No other reason, which renders everything else you say as crap.

Didsbury Dave said:
Marvin said:
Didsbury Dave said:

Of course losing the first couple of league games wouldn't be good.

But neither would a plague of man eating rats in the greater Manchester area.

The season hasn't started.

It hasn't started.

So stop doing your Marvin the paranoid android impression all over the forum. You're miles off beam. You'd certainly be the loudest fucking whinger if we fell at the final hurdle in the premier league or champions league because our players were exhausted.

We lost because we played a shadow team. No other reason, which renders everything else you say as crap.
No we didn't lose 3-0 because we played a weakened team

That would be what I would have thought if I hadn't watched the game

We lost because for the opening minutes we were on the back foot and did not play with the intensity required and that was the manager's assessment as well. Arsenal were all over us possession wise early doors but weren't really working the keeper, but if you keep giving it back to them as we did then sooner or later players of Cazorla's quality will make you pay.

You're hiding behind an excuse - the players available. Those players available didn't work in the opening minutes of the game

nail on the head dave

bloody ell marvin thats some serious flapping going on there.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.