Arsenal v City (Community Shield) Post Match Thread

The result didn't really matter but the fact we had our best players sat in the stands in nice suits and not on the pitch even if just for 15 mins and our big players that were on the pitch not interested is what is worrying.We are not prepared to start away at newcastle,at home maybe it would be easier.All our rivals are more than ready and we are playing 2 of them in a couple of weeks time
Before anyone says stop flapping i'm not, just stating the facts as they are

karen7 said:
We are not prepared to start away at newcastle,at home maybe it would be easier.All our rivals are more than ready and we are playing 2 of them in a couple of weeks time
How do you know this ? Do you know how well prepared Newcastle are ? You have no more idea than me, but I trust those that do to have it right next week..

Our top players were playing only four weeks ago, and maybe the club know that they have kept their fitness levels at the top level, and that they are ready to go, and are just giving them a deserved rest ?

We can judge pre-season at the end of the seasons games. The same way you can look at World Cup performances and try to relate them to their pre-tournament training. Germany didn't really concentrate on the football side, England were all positivity about our chances but it was all talk and no action. Arsenal need to be in their prime now, and they are. Ready to qualify for the CL yet again. Then they will get their usual injury/exhaustion and have a bad run. Usually coincides with the key knockout games and league run in. Whilst ideally we will be ready to go full throttle out of the blocks, with such a busy year last year and the World Cup we can't expect to be completely ready for this season. We need to be ready to go in the league because of the tough start, but we should be able to gradually introduce our key players into the season and then have them at their peak when it matters.

We have a tough start to the season and unfortunately we have several key players lacking in match practice. This week will be about getting them into shape for Newcastle and the games to follow. Fortunately games are one a week for the early part which gives us more time. All other teams will be in a similar state to us, adapting and learning to play together. Fitness is more important. Arsenal were probably the toughest side we could play because they are geared up for their CL playoff which will be two crucial games for them.

I see it as another game for players to gel. Fernando got a game with Yaya next to him. Pellegrini was able to assess Caballero, Nasty and Boyata. Jovetic had another game - and Dzeko, Nasri, Navas and Silva all got game time. Whilst Newcastle will be tough, with Fernandinho and Silva in the side we should be able to win it.

We were poor yesterday and it still reinforces the need to move certain players on. Boyata is okay but he isn't quite good enough to be a squad player and that is becoming obvious. He didn't do much wrong but he was essentially put in because we had no-one else. He won't play next year because we have Demi and Nasty all ready to stand in assuming they don't leave so I think he will end up on a loan somewhere. Along with Demi, we have Nasty as back up to (probably) Mangala and Kompany so we should be strong in that area.

What worried me most was the total lack of fitness in the midfield area, Yaya and Fernando got completely run to bits in the first half and their lack of support and control contributed a lot towards the dominance Arsenal had. It's not worrying in the sense it was their first game together and first proper game but still it wasn't a good start by any means.

It also says a lot when MP is playing Clichy in the RB position ahead of Richards. I don't think he trusts Richards and I'm surprised he hasn't been moved on, we have more than enough strength in depth at CB and his usual RB position has Sagna there now too. Can't see how he will get a single game next year but then again we need the English numbers up..

As for the rest, it was just a friendly but we didn't do enough in the game and Arsenal just blew us away really with their pressure. We will need to control games much better and I hope it was just a bit of a fitness test and early preparation game for next week. The most worrying thing is how the rest of the squad is going to get fitness and match form because players like Kompany/Zabs etc will have their first proper game in the first game at Newcastle..

Predicting a slow start!

cleavers said:
karen7 said:
We are not prepared to start away at newcastle,at home maybe it would be easier.All our rivals are more than ready and we are playing 2 of them in a couple of weeks time
How do you know this ? Do you know how well prepared Newcastle are ? You have no more idea than me, but I trust those that do to have it right next week..

Our top players were playing only four weeks ago, and maybe the club know that they have kept their fitness levels at the top level, and that they are ready to go, and are just giving them a deserved rest ?
FIFA rules state that players who played in last rounds of WC MUST be rested-I met Buzzer, Tony Book, Dennis Tueart, Alex Stepney, Franny Lee amongst others though !!!!!

Marvin said:
cleavers said:
Marvin said:
The attitude was all wrong. Arsenal wanted to win that whereas we treated the opening minutes like a training game. We deserved to be humiliated.
We weren't "humiliated" though, and you know why, because we took it for what it was, a pre season friendly (not a training game). Arsenal wanted to win, because they are still hurting after falling apart in the title race last year.

I don't understand this humiliated, embarrased crap, as was posted by someone else yesterday we have 60 games to play this season, and this was the 61st in importance, so its little wonder that fans, players, and club gave it much the same priority. As a fan, with away games, and european away games, I'm not wasting £50-100 on something I have no interest in (supporting the FA's coffers).
We were.

How many times do teams get beat 3-0 at Wembley.

And to top it off, Arsenal fans were able to sing You're support is f shit especially when the attendance was announced and everyone could work out just how many City fans were there

United lost 3-0 to Arsenal the season they won the treble.

Having said that, it's you isn't it. Every single thread all you do is cry like a little girl. Even in the campus thread you're questioning what the point of it all is.

Just to confirm: did you attend the game yesterday?

Having just watched the highlights didn't realise we had enough chances to have won that against the run of play maybe .but it wasn't as bad as I thought are only had 4 chances all game which 2 went in and a deflected shot that could of gone anywhere .we had 2 goodish pen shouts hit the post and missed another 4 .having said that the best team won .

cleavers said:
karen7 said:

Being fit and rested but no match sharpness,why are they rested except for our argies when the other teams have their world cup players on the pitch already?
Playing away is harder than playing at home so it doesn't really matter how prepared the geordies are and i don't think they had many at the world cup so have had a good time together already,remember how hard it was there last time?
I hope it will all come together in time but if we put out the same defence as yesterday i don't fancy it much
As you can tell i am glass half empty type,i can't relax and enjoy the games at the time,i tape them all and watch them back and thats when i enjoy it and can see the tactics better.I don't know why i fret so much as i have absolutely no control what happens lol

squirtyflower said:
cleavers said:
Marvin said:
The attitude was all wrong. Arsenal wanted to win that whereas we treated the opening minutes like a training game. We deserved to be humiliated.

I don't understand this humiliated, embarrased crap, as was posted by someone else yesterday we have 60 games to play this season, and this was the 61st in importance, so its little wonder that fans, players, and club gave it much the same priority. As a fan, with away games, and european away games, I'm not wasting £50-100 on something I have no interest in (supporting the FA's coffers).
have to say i agree with this sentiment

i have never yet been to see a charity/community shield game and i've followed City since the 60s, and it's only just dawned on me I've never been

I went to the last two, but purely as a day out when I had nothing much else to do. I would never say never as far as attending a Community Shield fixture in the future is concerned, it can be an enjoyable day. But I would never go expecting it to be any more than it is.

Kompany has said in the past that the team don't really prepare for the CS. It comes at the end of one of the most arduous weeks of pre season training, the last opportunity for stamina work before they start tapering off to be fresh for the first league game. Hence the players can look unfit or disinterested when in fact they're just knackered. We looked unfit in 2011 but started the season like a house on fire. In 2012 we looked much sharper but started the season sluggishly. It really is a very poor barometer.

Apologies for this but looking for advice on jam making, bread making and children's issues. Any advice welcome. I have posted this as I assume I have wandered into a women's institute/mumsnet forum by mistake, with all the mewling and crying going on.
We lost a game of football and not a very important game of football at that. Given the attitude of the people on here I can't believe what I read in many posts. Other teams are not allowed to play well against us, ever. We can never, ever, have an 'off-day'. Pellers should have been manager of the month 3 months ago, now he doesn't know what he is doing! Treat it like a training game and it's shameful. Imagine if he'd played the first team, said give it everything and we'd had 2 injured, 4 booked and 1 sent off. What's the point of doing that for a tin pot pre season friendly, many of you snipers would be saying.
It's this sense of entitlement some of you have I find the most disappointing. Teams in red have always had that but City, surely not!!
Some of you seem to have forgotten the cameraderie and sense of humour, for which we were once famed. Some of you seem to expect to win every week, whilst offering nothing when things are not going perfectly. Constant criticism of the players and the manager is probably not always helpful. Someone actually booed when Dzecko was announced yesterday, ffs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.