Assisted dying

I do wonder how any kind of legally assisted suicide law would work with neurodivergent people and their wishes. That article made me sad for her partner. But if you love someone so much you respect their wishes over yours.

I support a euthanasia law as long as the whole process is 100% safeguarded.
I can tell you now, as the partner of someone planning to end her own life, that the worst part is seeing her degenerate into a shell of a person day by day by day.

The thing with a DNR is you’re already dead. It’s not at all comparable to killing someone.
To prolong life sometimes leaves people worse off than before.
Thinking of my Dad who had a cardiac arrest in Tameside hospital he was revived with the crash team but he couldn’t breathe and needed oxygen. We was all distraught and in the end I didn’t want him to suffer anymore three months he lasted like that We brought him home and it was great to have him back but that turned into me being selfish watching him suffer

To prolong life sometimes leaves people worse off than before.
Thinking of my Dad who had a cardiac arrest in Tameside hospital he was revived with the crash team but he couldn’t breathe and needed oxygen. We was all distraught and in the end I didn’t want him to suffer anymore three months he lasted like that We brought him home and it was great to have him back but that turned into me being selfish watching him suffer

Sorry for what you all went through, death is always harder on the living,

Practically though there is zero chance assisted dying would have been used in your dads case. His was a relatively sudden onset and deterioration, if he had a DNR in place he would [hopefully] have had His wishes honoured. Anyone undergoing assisted dying is going to need all sorts of assessments and counselling.

However the one question I would ask you is … had you told your dad everything leading up to his cardiac arrest you’d wanted to say to him? or did that extra time give you and the rest of his family and loved ones time to say their last words? That he was able to hear and acknowledge. Hard as it is seeing him as you did don’t underestimate how important that process is.

Finally we are going to need to think about funding. Crass perhaps but the reality is the NHS has a finite pot of money to spend and we’re going to expect this to come from that NHS budget - that’s our healthcare system. There will be an army of professionals involved before anyone is even permitted to go ahead with this. Should the NHS prioritise assisted dying over some new quality of life preserving drug or treatment? Or should we ring fence the NHS as it is now? Fundamentally you’re changing its ethos if this came in to law and that should not be done lightly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.