Assisted dying

If you have grade four cancer or any grade of cancer a doctor can’t force treatment on you even though it may prolong your life. It’s a personal choice I see death as the same if you are in pain and asking for pain relief you should get enough Morphine to relieve the pain if it kills you the doctors are not to blame no one is.

People don’t opt to die unless they are suffering unbearable physical or mental pain, in the past doctors signed up to help people with illness, we already have plenty of laws to protect the vulnerable. I already signed one of those DNR notices. The doctor didn’t bat an eyelid.

This is an interesting and obviously highly emotive topic, so i will post about my own experiences and hope my thoughts make sense.

I have lived with constant pain since my early teens, so over 45 years. I take painkillers every day including powerful ones called Tramadol which are the ones just below morphine. I have been in hospital on Morphine a few times and yes felt so low and downhearted if my character was not so strong maybe I would have considered assisted dying, yes it was that bad at times. The key word for me in what i have just said is character, maybe if i was not a strong character would i have taken the assisted dying route? I don't know, i can not answer that question because it was not an option at the time.

Then we have the medical advances that have taken place since I was first hospitalised. Back then, there was no hope for the likes of me and assisted dying would have looked a far better option than it looks today because the new meds developed for my problems are fantastic and there is even better ones in the pipeline. So if i had had the option to have assisted dying at that time I would have never had the option of the new meds that are available.

That leads me to think that assisted dying is almost at the mercy of medical advancements. Imagine your family having to go through all the emotions of you passing away and then finding out the following day that a new med could have extended life and made life comfortable and liveable.

I am really conflicted by this issue because in the past I could well of taken the assisted dying route and that would have meant i missed out on calling you lot cunts.

This is an interesting and obviously highly emotive topic, so i will post about my own experiences and hope my thoughts make sense.

I have lived with constant pain since my early teens, so over 45 years. I take painkillers every day including powerful ones called Tramadol which are the ones just below morphine. I have been in hospital on Morphine a few times and yes felt so low and downhearted if my character was not so strong maybe I would have considered assisted dying, yes it was that bad at times. The key word for me in what i have just said is character, maybe if i was not a strong character would i have taken the assisted dying route? I don't know, i can not answer that question because it was not an option at the time.

Then we have the medical advances that have taken place since I was first hospitalised. Back then, there was no hope for the likes of me and assisted dying would have looked a far better option than it looks today because the new meds developed for my problems are fantastic and there is even better ones in the pipeline. So if i had had the option to have assisted dying at that time I would have never had the option of the new meds that are available.

That leads me to think that assisted dying is almost at the mercy of medical advancements. Imagine your family having to go through all the emotions of you passing away and then finding out the following day that a new med could have extended life and made life comfortable and liveable.

I am really conflicted by this issue because in the past I could well of taken the assisted dying route and that would have meant i missed out on calling you lot cunts.

I know you didn't post your post for a reaction mate but I wish you well and hope you get some respite from pain.

I do wonder how any kind of legally assisted suicide law would work with neurodivergent people and their wishes. That article made me sad for her partner. But if you love someone so much you respect their wishes over yours.

I support a euthanasia law as long as the whole process is 100% safeguarded.

I've only just read this post and it was a perspective I never thought about before.

Thank you for giving me the chance to think beyond my simplistic on it.

If you have grade four cancer or any grade of cancer a doctor can’t force treatment on you even though it may prolong your life. It’s a personal choice I see death as the same if you are in pain and asking for pain relief you should get enough Morphine to relieve the pain if it kills you the doctors are not to blame no one is.

People don’t opt to die unless they are suffering unbearable physical or mental pain, in the past doctors signed up to help people with illness, we already have plenty of laws to protect the vulnerable. I already signed one of those DNR notices. The doctor didn’t bat an eyelid.

The thing with a DNR is you’re already dead. It’s not at all comparable to killing someone.

Fantastic post you ****

Dying doesn’t bother me too much, more so that my family would be upset
But the fear is ending up in constant pain unable to care for yourself or clean yourself so I’d be sorting it one way or another it didn’t get to that

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.