Aston Villa (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

Yes Phillips wasn't this summer gone but all 3 were bought for the midfield role. All 3 look poor buys.

A shadow of Gundogan and not a patch on Rodri.
Nunes was a bit of a "panic" buy for me, because of KdB, and he looks it. Kovacic looked great to start with, then got an injury and doesn't look to have come back yet (is he fully fit ?).

That was truly painful to watch and the score line doesn’t do Villa justice. Can’t believe how easy it is to carve us open, it’s happening constantly in nearly every game. How have we gone from looking so solid at the back to the shit we’re witnessing right now in a matter of months?!? Best defence in Europe my arse.

I know we can’t blame them for the shite served up tonight as it was pretty much the whole team, but Kovacic despite looking decent early on, looks devoid of any creativity whatsoever and Nunes looks like he won a competition to get into this team, he looks Bebe levels of shite.

The club went from wanting Bellingham to buying Nunes.

That's a Garcia level signing from Mancini's last summer.

He kicked it out of play tonight when under no pressure.

If the rags bought him we'd be laughing at his lack of quality.

It feels like all our chickens are coming home to roost.

We got away with a small squad last season because we had minimal injuries. This season our luck ran out.

Then we made the decision to sell all our crown jewels in the EDS squad, in order to show how financially clever we were in balancing the books. In my opinion this was a definite error of judgement.

Then we had arguably a very poor transfer window. At this stage, in my opinion, the only player earning his keep is Doku. The others are simply not good enough or learning their craft (Gvardiol).

Then there is the hangover from winning the treble. Half the players look like their mental approach has been affected this season. In this league even if you're 95% committed, that's not good enough and you'll be found out.

I'm sure others smarter than me will raise other issues, but off the top of my head I think these factors are contributing to our season so far.

We got away with a small squad last season because we had minimal injuries. This season our luck ran out.

Then we made the decision to sell all our crown jewels in the EDS squad, in order to show how financially clever we were in balancing the books. In my opinion this was a definite error of judgement.

Then we had arguably a very poor transfer window. At this stage, in my opinion, the only player earning his keep is Doku. The others are simply not good enough or learning their craft (Gvardiol).

Then there is the hangover from winning the treble. Half the players look like their mental approach has been affected this season. In this league even if you're 95% committed, that's not good enough and you'll be found out.

I'm sure others smarter than me will raise other issues, but off the top of my head I think these factors are contributing to our season so far.
3-4 seasons ago we had better players than Villa/Spurs/Arsenal/Luton in pretty much every position, that’s not the case anymore

I do think part of the issue is the transfers came in late. No pre season and then a few weeks of Pep out. With midfielders and defenders it’s so much more about the system and without any really time to learn that, it exacerbates any issues. Not minimizing Dokus talent, but I also think his role is easier in terms of getting up to speed. He’s less dependent on the people around him. And if we were fully healthy and the transfers were getting put in as the one change in an established XI, I think we’d have fewer complaints. Instead were asking many of them to be replacements for players they were never meant to truly replace.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.