Aston Villa (A) | PL | Post Match Thread

Just from the other side of the glass, I agree with a lot of this. I believe football is often about timing & everything was in place for us last night. City without Rodri is a different proposition and him alone would have probably changed the dynamics of the game last night - he is that good.

But we were brilliant, it sounds a bit extreme but I'm genuinely not sure the last time I have seen a Villa team play that well. Maybe even in my lifetime. I know watching City you've seen some ridiculous heights of late (and it's often been a pleasure to watch as a neutral), but I couldn't have envisaged seeing a Villa team play at that sort of level. There is no point getting too giddy, we will inevitably drop off and there is a long way to go, but I'm not sure there is a more difficult away game right at this minute.

I don't see any great panic at city, I'm convinced they'll still be title contenders (if not winners) once the squad settles again and Pep finds a way again (he always does). Let's be honest, you should have been 5 up v half time against Spurs & Liverpool hung on 2nd half. Last night was different, but like I said a few things fell into place for that to happen.
Good points well made, most City fans had a feeling this was going to be tough one especially with your record at home.
We had key players out, the goal was quite a 'lucky one' from ;Aston Villa's point of view, but that was the only thing lucky about the game (or unlucky from our point of view!).
Villa played well and were very much the better team, we only briefly troubled you in the first half. At 1:0 you always feel you could sneak something, but even those with the most blue tinted glasses would have to admit that had we got something out of that game it would have been very unjust.
Hopefully your gaffer feels he has something to prove to his old employers (as he wasn't given a lor of time there was he!)and is able to get one over on them!

You were brilliant. And looking good for top 6 maybe even 4th.
Yes, Villa were excellent.
But, they play a very energetic game, which definitely worked against a ploddy City last night.
This will tire them out and needs a deep squad.
Definitely a top 8 team, but will the Thursday night European football jeopardise their Top 4/5/6 chances ?
If I was Emery, I'd give up the European Conference in the knock-out round and concentrate on Villa's league position...
You were brilliant. And looking good for top 6 maybe even 4th.

Basically this was biggest betting of the year as Villa 7/2 to beat us at home which was an absolute steal .

I would have had to have broken my golden rule of never betting on City games if I'd seen that. Biggest rick I've ever seen! They should have been 2/7, no chance in hell we were getting anything from that game.

He hasn't started (I recall first year after he joined City he was just coming back from injury), but Jack has come on as a sub for City at Villa Park. Some people's need to even make up lies to try and slander Grealish is honestly weird.

He wasn't even anything to do with proceedings last night but still some numpty is trying to drag him into the conversation to slag him off by inventing something that never happened.

He was one of the reasons we were light in numbers last night by doing something stupid. Calm down.

Last edited:
Just from the other side of the glass, I agree with a lot of this. I believe football is often about timing & everything was in place for us last night. City without Rodri is a different proposition and him alone would have probably changed the dynamics of the game last night - he is that good.

But we were brilliant, it sounds a bit extreme but I'm genuinely not sure the last time I have seen a Villa team play that well. Maybe even in my lifetime. I know watching City you've seen some ridiculous heights of late (and it's often been a pleasure to watch as a neutral), but I couldn't have envisaged seeing a Villa team play at that sort of level. There is no point getting too giddy, we will inevitably drop off and there is a long way to go, but I'm not sure there is a more difficult away game right at this minute.

I don't see any great panic at city, I'm convinced they'll still be title contenders (if not winners) once the squad settles again and Pep finds a way again (he always does). Let's be honest, you should have been 5 up v half time against Spurs & Liverpool hung on 2nd half. Last night was different, but like I said a few things fell into place for that to happen.
1-0 flattered us immensely mate so well played, just make sure you turn up for Arsenal and the red Dippers in the same manner.

If we are going to turn this around I think it will be "The Old Guard - KdB, Bernado, Rodri, Stones" that will bring the change. I have high hopes for Lewis but he is really just a kid, our three latest new midfielders are looking ineffective and the likes of Foden, who should be reaching the point where he can dictate games needs to up his game.

In fairness to Phil, I'd be banging on Peps door asking why he constantly tells the media he is too direct to play centrally then plays Alvarez as a midfielder all season who gives the ball away on the halfway line 3 times a fucking game!

We just dust ourselves down and go again at the weekend, just like a winning streak one game at a time
What was the Motto? last season #Together well it's the same this season and every season

1701951211775.png

Hats of to Villa. I looked at their team sheet beforehand and was concerned. They have quality in every position and McGinn is so
Underrated . They brought their A game and with us being out of sorts and missing players it was no surprise.
I’m still quite relaxed, let’s see where we are after 25 games. Just need to get back to winning ways starting with Luton and start to get some momentum. I trust Pep but I do think we’re very light weight regarding our squad size. We need KDB back and firing and with a little luck no adverse reaction from his operation.
Phil looked shattered last night, over reliance on him at the moment. Dias had a solid game . Lewis got overran last night which is going to happen whilst learning his trade in this team. Gvardial has not impressed me so far , I know he’s young and we need to give him time but he looks cumbersome and error prone in that left back position . Alvarez form and confidence has dropped and clearly not a midfielder.
We need to get some balance again and I’m sure we’ll be fine . We need to gain some perspective and realise there’s always going to be a dip after what we’ve done. Could be a step too far for the league this year but we know Pep and City won’t go down without a fight .

Villa were excellent. Very, very fast. Some people on here habitually claim that our keeper doesn't know how to shot-stop. Without Ederson, that's a thrashing. We're looking at 3-0, even 4-0. How often do you see anybody do that to City? All being well, you can certainly stake a claim to top four, even top three. Title? That's a stretch.

Edit: sorry, addressed to the wrong poster.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.