Aston Villa (H) | PL | Post-match Thread

That is rather the point. It is arguable that Pep’s style does not easily tolerate an out and out goal scorer. We won the title after all without a striker at all. When Aguero was left out to develop his all round game, he returned a much better player. Haaland needs to do the same.
You play to his strengths within the team. Aguero was a better footballer than Erling. Earling scores more goals. You don't learn all round ability his ability is putting it in the net.

You play to his strengths within the team. Aguero was a better footballer than Erling. Earling scores more goals. You don't learn all round ability his ability is putting it in the net.
You are just arguing for no change, no improvement, no nuance. Fine, if you feel that way, but plenty don’t. Not even Pep.

He will never be thevplayer you want him to be .
The answer then is to ‘do a Sterling’. Pep thought he could improve in front of goal; when he didn’t, he was sold.
But you don’t know that, hundreds of players have disproved your theory that you can’t improve your all round game. Observe Rodri.
That ability depends on football intelligence. I don’t know whether Haaland has it. I shall observe his progress with interest.

Thought we were excellent last night, i know a lot are probably suggesting its because Haaland was out of the team but there were games already this season without Haaland that we didn't play well. The real question is, where does Kevin fit in? Do we swap Bernardo to the right and move KDB more to box to box? I don't know. I would like to have a fluid lineup where KDB, Foden and Bernardo all alternate between the three roles of 10 - 8 and right wing.

Been to villa park many times over the years and their support is utter wank, culminating in the FA cuo game the other year when there were probably as many city fans in the ground as villa fans. Their away support isn't much better.
Made me laugh when they were singinig you used to play for a big club to Grealish - fuck me, talk about delusions of grandeur, unless Jack used to play for someone else.
The European cup was much easier to win in those days hence Villa and Forest and the dippers beating the likes of malmo and even getting byes in some rounds

Dias signed at the end of September 2020. Won City’s player of the month in November 2020. Played 50 games in the season including 32 league matches on the way to winning the PL. Won the Football Writers Player of the Year award at the end of his first season. He was also City's player of the season and the PL player of the season.
Fair play - still to me had the Laporte feel re pace - then i thought what a buy..exactly like Gvardiol i feel - what an immense week he has had

I wonder whether we sometimes have sacrificed a system that could have conservatively scored 6 last night for a less goal heavy one just to accommodate Haaland.

Could've but didn't

Yet we have scored 6 goals or more in games with Haaland on. Rags, Luton, Leipzig etc..

So do you know we wouldn't have scored more with Haaland on, as we have many times?

You have to use context. This was a second string villa side that didn't really park the bus as much a full strength Arsenal, along with our team being strictly instructed to start being more assertive in getting players forward. There's a good chance Haaland would've bagged a few in that scenario.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.