Aston Villa (H) | PL | Post-match Thread

Sir Philip’s finishing last night -just wow. Very little back lift yet so much power.
Personally would love to see him central every game.
Onwards and all that.
Love this Club.
We’re getting close to the stage where Pep has got a decision to make regarding Foden starting games in the 10 role on a more regular basis. He’s too good in that position to keep playing him out wide to accommodate KDB. This day was always going to arrive. I’m sure KDB could adapt his game to play more of a controlling role deeper in the midfield or maybe Pep can come up with a more creative solution? KDB is not getting any younger and has been picking up injuries so maybe a less explosive role would be better for him also? Be interesting to see what Pep does going forward.

That is rather the point. It is arguable that Pep’s style does not easily tolerate an out and out goal scorer. We won the title after all without a striker at all. When Aguero was left out to develop his all round game, he returned a much better player. Haaland needs to do the same.
Last night left me nostalgic for the false 9 days of recent seasons past, when the goals could have come from any number of players and we had always had that element of surprise. Haaland is amazing, box office at his best, and should never be written off - but rotating him like anyone else if his form is off is the right thing to do.

Fair play - still to me had the Laporte feel re pace - then i thought what a buy..exactly like Gvardiol i feel - what an immense week he has had
Gvardiol's last two games have easily been his best for City. Although I don't think he'll be a long term LB he's going to be an excellent player. I'm hoping he will become a centre mid.

Dias is back to form as well

Could've but didn't

Yet we have scored 6 goals or more in games with Haaland on. Rags, Luton, Leipzig etc..

So do you know we wouldn't have scored more with Haaland on, as we have many times?
I don’t agree with those saying Haaland should be dropped but he does need to improve other aspects of his game to fulfil Pep’s team style. Get working on it, Viking!

Gvardiol's last two games have easily been his best for City. Although I don't think he'll be a long term LB he's going to be an excellent player. I'm hoping he will become a centre mid.

Dias is back to form as well
Absolutely, He has a sort of has a Rodri feel, great feet for a big strong lad - not quick of course - would be Rodri's perfect 'pupil' for a couple more years ....maybe

it seems almost churlish to say that his system doesnt work with haaland when that system won a treble last year and is still deep in 3 competitions this year, haaland has scored 29 goals this year despite having his chief creator missing for half the year so he does fit, the problem with haaland like most of our players is that they are so top level when they have a minor blip its built into an absolute catastrophe, there is not a team in world football that haaland doesnt walk into so keane and mccoist can stick their bullshit to be quite frank, yeah i do think he could improve his all round play but alvarez lost the ball frequently last night and missed 2 absolute sitters but because we won its ignored which is understandable but i do think haaland will come back and come back strong.
Fair points.

Haaland scores at least two in my opinion at last night's game (the fizzed cross from Grealish and at least one of the Alvarez chances. Doku also put in a couple of crosses you'd expect Haaland to be attacking). He gets judged much too harshly when he goes a few games without scoring.

The difference yesterday's wasn't Haaland not being there it's also us playing with much more pace and we absolutely can do that with Haaland in the team. Grealish and Doku playing well is also a combo we haven't seen too often this season. We pressed pretty well against Arsenal with Haaland in the team - Alvarez is probably better at that but they both give the ball away and Haaland's finishing is superior.

Haaland's all round game is improving and you seem him involved in more areas of the pitch. The problem is when we launch it up aimlessly at him and expect him to be Emile Heskey.

Also don't underestimate how good Rico played - his positioning is elite and he's got a nice little pass in him which makes him a more offensive asset than someone like Kovacic. Plus the way he receives the ball is very good.

And then the biggest factor in our increased pace is where our players pass the ball into their team mate. When we are a bit off our game all the passes tend to be behind a team mate so they have to turn and control and sloooow down (or get pressed into playing it backwards). When we are on it the passes are played just in front of or into the body of a team mate. there is 100% no team better at using their bodies to collect and progress the ball - very few need to take touches to get it under control and think about what they are doing. Combine this with the runners off the ball and you have unstoppable football at times even in ridiculous tight areas with width provided by wingers and not full backs.

Haaland doesn't quite use his body in this way yet (neither does Alvarez but his body parts move quicker) but I'm sure Pep and the team are working on it - he's probably been able to just use his brute strength all his life and now he's having to learn more nuance BUT I have no doubt Haaland can play. Don't forget he has played much of this year with a bad foot (we also won the treble without him scoring much at the end of the season)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.