Aston Villa (H) | PL | Post-match Thread

Thought we were excellent last night, i know a lot are probably suggesting its because Haaland was out of the team but there were games already this season without Haaland that we didn't play well. The real question is, where does Kevin fit in? Do we swap Bernardo to the right and move KDB more to box to box? I don't know. I would like to have a fluid lineup where KDB, Foden and Bernardo all alternate between the three roles of 10 - 8 and right wing.
KDB‘s role is a key factor in all this. Foden must not be shunted to the left. Frankly he is ordinary there.

I don’t agree with those saying Haaland should be dropped but he does need to improve other aspects of his game to fulfil Pep’s team style. Get working on it, Viking!

Last night was his type of game, there were plenty of chances inside the box. Maybe Villa would have set up differently if we would have played him we will never know.

I'm with you though, get the Viking up and running as often as possible.

Haaland scores at least two in my opinion at last night's game (the fizzed cross from Grealish and at least one of the Alvarez chances. Doku also put in a couple of crosses you'd expect Haaland to be attacking). He gets judged much too harshly when he goes a few games without scoring.

The difference yesterday's wasn't Haaland not being there it's also us playing with much more pace and we absolutely can do that with Haaland in the team. Grealish and Doku playing well is also a combo we haven't seen too often this season. We pressed pretty well against Arsenal with Haaland in the team - Alvarez is probably better at that but they both give the ball away and Haaland's finishing is superior.

Haaland's all round game is improving and you seem him involved in more areas of the pitch. The problem is when we launch it up aimlessly at him and expect him to be Emile Heskey.

Also don't underestimate how good Rico played - his positioning is elite and he's got a nice little pass in him which makes him a more offensive asset than someone like Kovacic. Plus the way he receives the ball is very good.

And then the biggest factor in our increased pace is where our players pass the ball into their team mate. When we are a bit off our game all the passes tend to be behind a team mate so they have to turn and control and sloooow down (or get pressed into playing it backwards). When we are on it the passes are played just in front of or into the body of a team mate. there is 100% no team better at using their bodies to collect and progress the ball - very few need to take touches to get it under control and think about what they are doing. Combine this with the runners off the ball and you have unstoppable football at times even in ridiculous tight areas with width provided by wingers and not full backs.

Haaland doesn't quite use his body in this way yet (neither does Alvarez but his body parts move quicker) but I'm sure Pep and the team are working on it - he's probably been able to just use his brute strength all his life and now he's having to learn more nuance BUT I have no doubt Haaland can play. Don't forget he has played much of this year with a bad foot (we also won the treble without him scoring much at the end of the season)
My thoughts exactly. Accurate crosses were coming in all game that were not attacked. I think Haaland would have been more effective than Alvarez in this game. (But I have no issues with Alvarez)

My thoughts exactly. Accurate crosses were coming in all game that were not attacked. I think Haaland would have been more effective than Alvarez in this game. (But I have no issues with Alvarez)
Crosses, crosses. Someone took me to task the other day for calling for more wing play and crosses, saying Haaland doesn’t score headers. Last night showed the value of wing play. Crosses don’t have to be to heads, the driven cross was well used in the past.

Reactions: CC1
Haaland scores at least two in my opinion at last night's game (the fizzed cross from Grealish and at least one of the Alvarez chances. Doku also put in a couple of crosses you'd expect Haaland to be attacking). He gets judged much too harshly when he goes a few games without scoring.

The difference yesterday's wasn't Haaland not being there it's also us playing with much more pace and we absolutely can do that with Haaland in the team. Grealish and Doku playing well is also a combo we haven't seen too often this season. We pressed pretty well against Arsenal with Haaland in the team - Alvarez is probably better at that but they both give the ball away and Haaland's finishing is superior.

Haaland's all round game is improving and you seem him involved in more areas of the pitch. The problem is when we launch it up aimlessly at him and expect him to be Emile Heskey.

Also don't underestimate how good Rico played - his positioning is elite and he's got a nice little pass in him which makes him a more offensive asset than someone like Kovacic. Plus the way he receives the ball is very good.

And then the biggest factor in our increased pace is where our players pass the ball into their team mate. When we are a bit off our game all the passes tend to be behind a team mate so they have to turn and control and sloooow down (or get pressed into playing it backwards). When we are on it the passes are played just in front of or into the body of a team mate. there is 100% no team better at using their bodies to collect and progress the ball - very few need to take touches to get it under control and think about what they are doing. Combine this with the runners off the ball and you have unstoppable football at times even in ridiculous tight areas with width provided by wingers and not full backs.

Haaland doesn't quite use his body in this way yet (neither does Alvarez but his body parts move quicker) but I'm sure Pep and the team are working on it - he's probably been able to just use his brute strength all his life and now he's having to learn more nuance BUT I have no doubt Haaland can play. Don't forget he has played much of this year with a bad foot (we also won the treble without him scoring much at the end of the season)
I also think rodri stepped forward more than usual last night which gave us an extra dimension, rodris passing range is criminally underrated, the pass for fodens second was brilliant and if kdb made it, theyd be waxing lyrical about it on motd (not that their opinion means anything)

The answer then is to ‘do a Sterling’. Pep thought he could improve in front of goal; when he didn’t, he was sold.
But you don’t know that, hundreds of players have disproved your theory that you can’t improve your all round game. Observe Rodri.
That ability depends on football intelligence. I don’t know whether Haaland has it. I shall observe his progress with interest.
Would you really sell a player who has scored 80 goals in one and three quarter seasons that would be mad. The comparison with Sterling isn't the right one as Haarlands numbers are off the scale. He he came on the market today every club in the world ĺwho could afford him would be in for him if Raheem was to come on.the market the clamour for his signature would be from low to middle clubs in the Premier League.

Would you really sell a player who has scored 80 goals in one and three quarter seasons that would be mad. The comparison with Sterling isn't the right one as Haarlands numbers are off the scale. He he came on the market today every club in the world ĺwho could afford him would be in for him if Raheem was to come on.the market the clamour for his signature would be from low to middle clubs in the Premier League.
No, I wouldn’t sell him but that’s effectively what you are saying. Translation of your argument: “Haaland is a goal scorer full stop. He will never be anything else.” As I said, if that were true, he would be on his way. There was no comparison to Sterling, but rather to PEP’s policy on non-improvers. Have a look at what he did to the so-called stars when he became head coach of Barca. He hasn‘t changed that philosophy: change or die. Ask Mr. Eto’o. Now if Fat Sam were our manager, things would be different, but it’s PEP.

Last edited:
First time since Chelsea away since we scored 4 in a league game and first time since Bournemouth at home we won a game by 3 goals in the league.

Seriously think Pep is going to have to consider at the very least now using De Bruyne as an impact sub and not a starter.

Also Haaland is not bench resistant in this run-in.

Last night was his type of game, there were plenty of chances inside the box. Maybe Villa would have set up differently if we would have played him we will never know.

I'm with you though, get the Viking up and running as often as possible.

Villa made the mistake that Arsenal didn’t want to, they came and had a go which opened the game up. Some of the closing and pressing last night was fantastic, they got absolutely strangled.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.