Athens? Flights expensive

The capacity on the staduim is only 32k. So if anything like the CL final about 10k tickets to city. What do people think? Will it be easy to get one as a season ticket holder with low points?
More like 5k tickets based on previous finals

I've posted something in the Super Cup thread on the main forum, but here is a more extensive post for blues looking at digs and other recommendations. For reference, I'm a Brit heading over but have family in Athens.

Plaka and Kolonaki are the best areas to stay if you want a central location. This is near the Akropolis and ancient ruins, so you are almost guaranteed good views from the room and close walk to the Metro and main shopping streets etc.

Central areas to avoid staying in are Omonia, Exarcheia and Biktoria. Especially at night but even during the day it is risky as a tourist. Main Metro stops are located in these areas but there is a lot of illegal immigrants, poverty and petty crime here (the brothels will be here but please be vigilant and go in groups, blues). Be wary of pickpocketing anywhere though, it is pretty common.

There is a good cocktail bar with a roof terrace called 360, this is within the Monastiraki area which is like their Parliament area with Government buildings. The best gyros you will find anywhere in the world is served in this Monastaraki area, it's where it originates from and there are loads of eateries to choose from in this area for the most authentic Greek cuisine you will find anywhere.

Thiseio is a good area near Monastiraki with a lot of history. Good for evening food and great views of the Akropolis at night.

Bournazi Square is a nice area of connected streets with good modern eateries also. It's around 5km north of the city center but accessible via the Metro.

There is a nice shopping mall called ‘The Mall Athens’. This is in Marousi and can be accessed directly via the Metro. Marousi is a very affluent area, I’d say the equivalent of Chelsea or Kensington in UK. The Main Olympic Stadium is located here which is probably worth a visit (where the dippers played Milan in 2007).

From experience, the beaches aren’t great in Athens compared to the islands but there is a nice costal area called Glyfada that I’d recommend for a day out if you're in Athens for several days.

Piraeus is the port town where the ships and cruises come into. If you go here, you can take regular boat trips out to pretty much any island in Greece. A local island which you could perhaps do for a day trip is Aegina. Other good places are Paros and Naxos but would require overnight stays due to travel time.

Good marina areas of Piraeus are Mikrolimano and Pasalimani, next to the water with bars and restaurants. Almost guaranteed English speakers in this area of town due to the proximity of the port. The Karaiskakis Stadium where Olympiacos play is near here and where our game is also being played for the Super Cup Final.

For those wanting to catch a game or view other stadia, Panathinaikos play at Apostolos Nikolaidis Stadium which is more centrally located. AEK Athens is the third big team in Athens and they play at the brand new Opap Arena in the north of the city. Note this is where Rep of Ireland recently played against Greece. I believe the Greek league fixtures begin on 19th August but it's TBC. As Kerem said with Turkey, things are done a bit last minute in Greece.

Athens is a good city but be vigilant, watch your pockets and respect the local norms. The piss ups we had on Nevizade Street etc in Istanbul or as you see on Greek island resorts really aren't the done thing and will likely attract unwanted attention off heavy-handed police and potentially local ultras, unfortunately. Most Athenians won't even know the game is on, it can be quite an insular city and they see themselves as Greece, with even Greek islanders etc seen as second class citizens there. Don't expect local business owners to be fawning over us like was the case by and large in Istanbul.

Last point, don't be afraid to stay further out of the center. The Metro system is very good in Athens, all signs are in English and it is almost an around the clock service. Any queries now or closer to the game, please feel free to ask. I'm no expert but have family members and friends who are. Plenty of blues went bull in a china shop in Istanbul and got fleeced or put at risk in shitty areas, I'd like to help avoid that this time around in any way I can. Thanks.

I've posted something in the Super Cup thread on the main forum, but here is a more extensive post for blues looking at digs and other recommendations. For reference, I'm a Brit heading over but have family in Athens.

Plaka and Kolonaki are the best areas to stay if you want a central location. This is near the Akropolis and ancient ruins, so you are almost guaranteed good views from the room and close walk to the Metro and main shopping streets etc.

Central areas to avoid staying in are Omonia, Exarcheia and Biktoria. Especially at night but even during the day it is risky as a tourist. Main Metro stops are located in these areas but there is a lot of illegal immigrants, poverty and petty crime here (the brothels will be here but please be vigilant and go in groups, blues). Be wary of pickpocketing anywhere though, it is pretty common.

There is a good cocktail bar with a roof terrace called 360, this is within the Monastiraki area which is like their Parliament area with Government buildings. The best gyros you will find anywhere in the world is served in this Monastaraki area, it's where it originates from and there are loads of eateries to choose from in this area for the most authentic Greek cuisine you will find anywhere.

Thiseio is a good area near Monastiraki with a lot of history. Good for evening food and great views of the Akropolis at night.

Bournazi Square is a nice area of connected streets with good modern eateries also. It's around 5km north of the city center but accessible via the Metro.

There is a nice shopping mall called ‘The Mall Athens’. This is in Marousi and can be accessed directly via the Metro. Marousi is a very affluent area, I’d say the equivalent of Chelsea or Kensington in UK. The Main Olympic Stadium is located here which is probably worth a visit (where the dippers played Milan in 2007).

From experience, the beaches aren’t great in Athens compared to the islands but there is a nice costal area called Glyfada that I’d recommend for a day out if you're in Athens for several days.

Piraeus is the port town where the ships and cruises come into. If you go here, you can take regular boat trips out to pretty much any island in Greece. A local island which you could perhaps do for a day trip is Aegina. Other good places are Paros and Naxos but would require overnight stays due to travel time.

Good marina areas of Piraeus are Mikrolimano and Pasalimani, next to the water with bars and restaurants. Almost guaranteed English speakers in this area of town due to the proximity of the port. The Karaiskakis Stadium where Olympiacos play is near here and where our game is also being played for the Super Cup Final.

For those wanting to catch a game or view other stadia, Panathinaikos play at Apostolos Nikolaidis Stadium which is more centrally located. AEK Athens is the third big team in Athens and they play at the brand new Opap Arena in the north of the city. Note this is where Rep of Ireland recently played against Greece. I believe the Greek league fixtures begin on 19th August but it's TBC. As Kerem said with Turkey, things are done a bit last minute in Greece.

Athens is a good city but be vigilant, watch your pockets and respect the local norms. The piss ups we had on Nevizade Street etc in Istanbul or as you see on Greek island resorts really aren't the done thing and will likely attract unwanted attention off heavy-handed police and potentially local ultras, unfortunately. Most Athenians won't even know the game is on, it can be quite an insular city and they see themselves as Greece, with even Greek islanders etc seen as second class citizens there. Don't expect local business owners to be fawning over us like was the case by and large in Istanbul.

Last point, don't be afraid to stay further out of the center. The Metro system is very good in Athens, all signs are in English and it is almost an around the clock service. Any queries now or closer to the game, please feel free to ask. I'm no expert but have family members and friends who are. Plenty of blues went bull in a china shop in Istanbul and got fleeced or put at risk in shitty areas, I'd like to help avoid that this time around in any way I can. Thanks.
Great post. Big help this. Thanks

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.