Atletico (H) | CL QF 1st Leg | Post Match Thread

Great result.

Seems increasingly so the false nine is no longer working?

Bernie, Foden, Grealish, Sterling, they all get lost and wasted in there.

That was Bernie's worst game for a very long time last night and the position it too high for him or Phil, who need to work and drive from deep.
We don't really have a false 9, in that we don't have a player whose best position is playing the false 9. All the players we shoehorn into it aren't naturals,in the way somebody like Messi was, and I think Felix would be, and they would all be better playing different positions. Making our success with the system more remarkable. As it is for now needs must, hopefully not for too much longer.

Last edited:
Think we could come to regret not getting a second goal and killing off the tie last night.

That said, they are there for the taking when they come out of their deep lying formation and the only threat they really pose is on the counter attack. Luckily for us, we have the best defender in the world against the counter attack coming back for the second leg.

So long as the lads keep their composure for the second leg we should be fine.

Great result.

That was Bernie's worst game for a very long time last night and the position it too high for him or Phil, who need to work and drive from deep.
I’m not convinced a ‘real’ 9 makes a difference last night. I also think the false 9 will come into its own next Sunday.

this was my first thought when i saw him benched yesterday evening, targeting

strange why they targeted jack ? it was not even sneaky stuff it was full blown am taking you out
i have this feel that the European teams hate players who run at them and want to put a marker down because they fear them.

but 3 or 4 bad tackles in a short space of time after he come on was strange ? maybe something was said in the warms ups or at half time but every single one of them even the manager and coaches was pointing and moaning about jack after the final whistle.

Great result.

Yep, it's a concern of mine. All of our false nines are better in other areas of the pitch. Maybe that's why Pep has been putting Jesus there.

Great result.

The problem seems to be they all try and become a 9 and end up holding hands with a centre half or forget completely and then there's no one in the box.

Maybe teams have worked it out a bit better, but it worked best for us when we were able to overload the midfield to the point where the opposition lose their shape and then we could play through them. The goal last night was the best example of us doing it with link up from two midfielders playing away from the centre halves.

As poor as Atletico are to watch, they're probably the best defensive team in Europe, so getting that goal was huge. They'll cause us different problems in the 2nd leg but at least will be more open. We just need to make sure we take the chances.

My dad says how many Haaland would have got from the good balls across the box that don't get buried after each game. Think he's about 6 short of Pele's all time record so far.

Think we could come to regret not getting a second goal and killing off the tie last night.

That said, they are there for the taking when they come out of their deep lying formation and the only threat they really pose is on the counter attack. Luckily for us, we have the best defender in the world against the counter attack coming back for the second leg.

So long as the lads keep their composure for the second leg we should be fine.

with the away goal rule now gone it changes the 2 leg ties in the champions league. now its about the first leg and winning at all cost ? forget the score that win means we are winning and they need to come out and try and score 2 in 90 minutes or it goes to extra time/pens or city win with a draw or win the 2nd leg

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.