Atletico (H) | CL QF 1st Leg | Post Match Thread

strange why they targeted jack ? it was not even sneaky stuff it was full blown am taking you out
i have this feel that the European teams hate players who run at them and want to put a marker down because they fear them.

but 3 or 4 bad tackles in a short space of time after he come on was strange ? maybe something was said in the warms ups or at half time but every single one of them even the manager and coaches was pointing and moaning about jack after the final whistle.
He needs to be careful but remember it for the 2nd leg. He reacted to having the ball blasted into his face, understandably, but luckily Pep grabbed him. One of those things it's easy to get sent off for.

Once he calmed down he was smiling and that will be his best approach - laugh at them after the foul, nutmeg them the next time and get ready to get kicked. Won't be a pleasant evening, but, hopefully, he'll be able to enjoy the next round whilst they watch it on telly.

Extract from McNulty's bbc write-up
"Simeone, clad in black as ever, played the role of villain to the soundtrack of disgruntled City fans behind him. He raged to the skies as the Manchester rain poured down, berated officials, concluding his night by racing down the touchline to get involved in an injury-time fracas out of nothing. Classic Diego."

Now, I hope he's not suggesting that the JG flare-up was 'out of nothing', having been taken out several times and then had the ball booted at his face from point blank range after the play had been stopped..? I understand this could equally fit on the media thread, so apologies if something similar is already there.

Yep, it's a concern of mine. All of our false nines are better in other areas of the pitch. Maybe that's why Pep has been putting Jesus there.

Yep, and I think with Jesus also suspended for the Atletico second leg, he might start on Sunday.

I also suspect Grealish might get the left side, as Pep has started to favour him more in the bigger Prem games?

Pep knows ball turnover is the ultimate killer against Liverpool, so think Mahrez will be the other side.

This could be the team, but it depends on the Gabby selection.

Liverpool play such a high line we could have success with runners going beyond from the middle.

For me, Liverpool main threat will come from corners and dead balls.

................EDDIE..............

WALKER...STONES....LAPORTE...CANCELO
...............RODRI............
..........BERNIE.......FODEN
......MAHREZ....KEV......GREALISH...

Yep, it's a concern of mine. All of our false nines are better in other areas of the pitch. Maybe that's why Pep has been putting Jesus there.

having haaland or kane does not guarantee goals ? but what it does is they run the lines and take up 2 of the defence setup we play against. the false 9 comes from deep and plays in front of the defence. so defenders can see what is in front of them and can hold the line

a striker plays on the shoulders of the defender and runs behind and makes the defender turn
its 100% harder to play against and its why KDB struggles with a false 9 he can not see or find the pass behind when the player is in front of the back line

i called it simple football a striker will do what football was invented for ? to score goals

Yep, and I think with Jesus also suspended for the Atletico second leg, he might start on Sunday.

I also suspect Grealish might get the left side, as Pep has started to favour him more in the bigger Prem games?

Pep knows ball turnover is the ultimate killer against Liverpool, so think Mahrez will be the other side.

This could be the team, but it spends in the Gabby selection.

Liverpool play such a high line we could have success with runners going beyond from the middle.

For me, Liverpool main threat will come from corners and dead balls.

................EDDIE..............

WALKER...STONES....LAPORTE...CANCELO
...............RODRI............
..........BERNIE.......FODEN
......MAHREZ....KEV......GREALISH...
Your false 9 problem is there, though. Kev's killer balls are gone when he's too high up the pitch. One of our recent games, maybe Southampton, he was droped back in the second half and it improved us no end.

I'd go with your personell but put Foden false 9 and Kev right midfield, Bernie left.

Your false 9 problem is there, though. Kev's killer balls are gone when he's too high up the pitch. One of our recent games, maybe Southampton, he was droped back in the second half and it improved us no end.

I'd go with your personell but put Foden false 9 and Kev right midfield, Bernie left.

Yep, there's no escaping the false nine, I just prefer Phil to anyone else when he is running with the ball from deep, better than even Kev IMO.

Phil works his socks off in the false nine but he just looks lost, especially when people like Gundo, Kev and Bernie are gravitating into his space and emptying the defensive part of the midfield.

strange why they targeted jack ? it was not even sneaky stuff it was full blown am taking you out
i have this feel that the European teams hate players who run at them and want to put a marker down because they fear them.

but 3 or 4 bad tackles in a short space of time after he come on was strange ? maybe something was said in the warms ups or at half time but every single one of them even the manager and coaches was pointing and moaning about jack after the final whistle.
Perhaps it's confusion - or they just hate alice bands?

He's not been getting quite as many fouls for City in the Premier League, but for England and Villa it wasn't too different. What's odd, is that he is so often fouled when he's running towards his own goal, or sideways across the pitch. Perhaps that's what annoys defenders? Rather than giving them a chance and coming at them head on, or trying to beat them, he plays like the 8 year old in the playground who is better than everyone else, but just runs off with the ball, not worrying about where he's heading.

Yep, there's no escaping the false nine, I just prefer Phil to anyone else when he is running with the ball from deep, better than even Kev IMO.

Phil works his socks off in the false nine but he just looks lost, especially when people like Gundo, Kev and Bernie are gravitating into his space and emptying the defensive part of the midfield.
Agree, and you saw it last night with Phil. He ran at them twice, made a goal and should have made a second. It's a matter of which square peg we put into the round hole. For me KDB edges it in the midfield because he is the ultimate big game player. He goes into games like this detirmined to prove he's the best player in the world.

On the flipside he causes turnovers with ambition passing.

I'm overthinking it. I understand Pep.

They won't come at us in Madrid. They know we will, and so they'll wait to hit us on the counter. Expect the same tactics next week, anything else and they know they'll only lose faster.

Yeah some Spanish journo said similar on 5live. Said they’ll come out a bit more (they have to), but don’t expect it to be much different than last night.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.