Atletico (H) | CL QF 1st Leg | Post Match Thread

The problem seems to be they all try and become a 9 and end up holding hands with a centre half or forget completely and then there's no one in the box.

Maybe teams have worked it out a bit better, but it worked best for us when we were able to overload the midfield to the point where the opposition lose their shape and then we could play through them. The goal last night was the best example of us doing it with link up from two midfielders playing away from the centre halves.

As poor as Atletico are to watch, they're probably the best defensive team in Europe, so getting that goal was huge. They'll cause us different problems in the 2nd leg but at least will be more open. We just need to make sure we take the chances.

My dad says how many Haaland would have got from the good balls across the box that don't get buried after each game. Think he's about 6 short of Pele's all time record so far.
it's a pity that we didn't sign harry kane because he will have been ideally suited to play the false nine position. The way he drops in the hole and links up with the wingers is superb

Yep, and I think with Jesus also suspended for the Atletico second leg, he might start on Sunday.

I also suspect Grealish might get the left side, as Pep has started to favour him more in the bigger Prem games?

Pep knows ball turnover is the ultimate killer against Liverpool, so think Mahrez will be the other side.

This could be the team, but it depends on the Gabby selection.

Liverpool play such a high line we could have success with runners going beyond from the middle.

For me, Liverpool main threat will come from corners and dead balls.

................EDDIE..............

WALKER...STONES....LAPORTE...CANCELO
...............RODRI............
..........BERNIE.......FODEN
......MAHREZ....KEV......GREALISH...
I hope he plays Sterling against TAA, in recent meetings Sterling has got his number

Jesus!

Will you look at the state of that!

I know you can argue their approach has been effective given their recent success - and that’s fair enough from the Club’s perspective, who will be looking at the bottom line, where league position and how far they go in the cups are vital - but as a fan, to whom football is supposed to be a form of entertainment, I cannot fathom why you would pay to watch that negative, unambitious tripe week in week out?

Makes me realise how stupidly lucky we are to have Pep as our Manager, who views the game as an artist, motivated by creating something beautiful - with a legacy that will endure.

No-one will look back on the current Atletico Madrid in future generations and recall dewy-eyed how they sat all 11 just outside their own box for most of the game, with zero shots on target, and spat and whined their way to a useless away defeat - the highlight of which was their right back flicking at Jack’s alice band like a four year old in the playground to try and get him sent off!

Felt like a really old European game last night. Juventus from the 70’s would have been proud. Silly me thought that was all in the past!

That’s a fair point but the suspicion has persisted since our wonderful spell last season either side of Christmas that we actually play better without him in the team. For me it’s a marginal call as to whether his potential game changing moments outweigh the amount of times he loses possession especially with the way the dippers play. I wouldn’t risk it - we can always bring him on later in the game if we need him.
I sometimes feel he gives the ball away cheaply.
going back to last season. He seemed to be out of sorts. And I felt that Pep was trying to play him back to match fitness.

We had chances to counter last night. Which is likely to be the most risk of KDB losing the ball. Leading to them countering our counter. And they have to be the best at it.
We slowed it down though as soon as we realised it was too risky.
I wonder if the reason for playing Gundog was to have that control over when we go for the kill or just allow them to get back and get ourselves organised to stop any potential counter?
Once they have tired. Bringing on attack minded players like Foden to pair with KDB really opens the game up for us.

i agree that we are just as good without KDB. I find that astonishing.
the fact remains that he is some player and has so many positive attributes that he is always going to start the big, crucial games.
it’s more, who will be around him.

Jesus!

Will you look at the state of that!

I know you can argue their approach has been effective given their recent success - and that’s fair enough from the Club’s perspective, who will be looking at the bottom line, where league position and how far they go in the cups are vital - but as a fan, to whom football is supposed to be a form of entertainment, I cannot fathom why you would pay to watch that negative, unambitious tripe week in week out?

Makes me realise how stupidly lucky we are to have Pep as our Manager, who views the game as an artist, motivated by creating something beautiful - with a legacy that will endure.

No-one will look back on the current Atletico Madrid in future generations and recall dewy-eyed how they sat all 11 just outside their own box for most of the game, with zero shots on target, and spat and whined their way to a useless away defeat - the highlight of which was their right back flicking at Jack’s alice band like a four year old in the playground to try and get him sent off!
Spot on…
0 Attempts
0 Attempts on target
0 Chances Created
0 Corners
0 xgoals
1 Cross completed

Spot on…
0 Attempts
0 Attempts on target
0 Chances Created
0 Corners
0 xgoals
1 Cross completed

Fucking dreadful!

I know it’s been said already, but Simeone really is nothing more than a slightly more glamorous, more effective Tony Pulis/Neil Warnock/Sam Allardyce with better tailoring and a more exciting sounding name!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.