Atletico (H) | CL QF 1st Leg | Post Match Thread

Extract from McNulty's bbc write-up
"Simeone, clad in black as ever, played the role of villain to the soundtrack of disgruntled City fans behind him. He raged to the skies as the Manchester rain poured down, berated officials, concluding his night by racing down the touchline to get involved in an injury-time fracas out of nothing. Classic Diego."

Now, I hope he's not suggesting that the JG flare-up was 'out of nothing', having been taken out several times and then had the ball booted at his face from point blank range after the play had been stopped..? I understand this could equally fit on the media thread, so apologies if something similar is already there.
I believe he's referring to that incident where Cunha dropped like he had been shot when standing nose to nose with Laporte and Ederson came over to basically tell his fellow Brazilian to get the fuck up...ref gave Eddie a yellow...Simeone was running around like a murder had occurred...ridiculous...

Ignoring the fact they blocked out the game by timewasting, niggling, kicking and they did not have a single attempt on goal in the whole 90 minutes. Not sure how they plan to win the home leg with those tactics
And we played ultra-safe attacking football trying to kill any idea of them counterattacking us. At times it look like a hedgehog trying to shag a turtle.

Solid performance , really scrappy game and they will be happy with the result but still prefer to be in our shoes.

I trust him not to retaliate.

i sort of get what your saying
but a fan running on is one thing ? but when the whole team are giving it out and kicking you off the park its another story. the uefa officials will not protect jack on the pitch because we have seen it once or twice already this season.

i just don't see pep doing it just to show them and get them at it ? its a very big game and 100% focus is needed
jack did lose it a bit last night and wanted mix it with them. jack wave a player to offer him in saying come on then

but a fan running on is one thing ? but when the whole team are giving it out and kicking you off the park its another story. the uefa officials will not protect jack on the pitch because we have seen it once or twice already this season.

i just don't see pep doing it just to show them and get them at it ? its a very big game and 100% focus is needed
jack did lose it a bit last night and wanted mix it with them. jack wave a player to offer him in saying come on then
I think the ferocity of their attacks surprised him at first. Once he realised what was happening, he was taking the piss. They won't surprise anyone in the second leg

The way I see it - and sure, I might be wrong - is that was a high-emotion situation, a derby, playing for the team he supports, and he was much younger and less experienced than he is now, and he was literally physically assaulted, and didn't even look close to kicking off.

And practically every match before and since then, pretty much since he's been playing football, opponents have been fouling the shit out of him, and their fans have been booing him every time he's touched the ball.

And his disciplinary record is fine. I've just looked it up - 232 appearances in all competitions for club and country. 33 yellow cards and 1 red, and the red was 5 years ago. It may not be as good a record as some others, but it's hardly indicative of someone who can't control themselves, especially given the provocation he receives.

I thought last night, even when Pep was pulling him back, Jack was laughing. He was clearly saying shit to wind them up and seemed to be enjoying that, and was understandably pissed off to get a ball kicked in his face, but I don't think he was anywhere near genuinely riled or likely to do anything stupid.

I don't want to be too emphatic in this because I just know that if I insist he'll be fine he'll play and fly off the handle and get sent off and my assessment of his character will come back to haunt me.

But I do think he's used to that sort of treatment and from what I've heard from Villa fans, the consensus seems to be that treating him like the Atletico players did last night is the worst possible thing for them to do, because when people treat him like that he laughs it off and uses it as motivation to play well.

Weren't the three Atletico Madrid players who got yellows all booked for fouls on Grealish? He was fouled three times, and that drew three bookings, which is reasonable protection.

Weren't the three Atletico Madrid players who got yellows all booked for fouls on Grealish? He was fouled three times, and that drew three bookings, which is reasonable protection.

i think it was 1 yellow for fouls on jack the rest was before he come on

"Manchester City fans and the English press were left frothing with rage at why a team would dare play in such a way"
hahaha, I think the article assumes the English press may side with the English team - clearly not up to date with the reality of what you all call the whatsapp group...
It's clear they didn't listen to Keown singing Simeone's praises throughout the match on BT!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.