Atletico (H) | CL QF 1st Leg - Tue 5th April, 20:00 | Pre-Match Thread

Match Result Prediction?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If we think about it as long as we win tonight (doesn’t matter what the score line is since away goals no longer count) would suit us down to the ground. It forces Atletico to have to come out and attack us 2nd leg, which obviously would suit us. Any other outcome and it could be edgy

For sheer quality of European opposition, it's hard to beat United's 1991 Cup Winners Cup route to the final. They reached the quarter finals by beating 2 teams: Pecsi Munkas & Wrexham.
Then Montpellier in the QF & Legia Warsaw in the SF.
Oh i 6F96E591-D49A-4F5C-9F3D-7D656A298C93.jpegDunno, have a look at villas, ive never heard of half of em and it was only 4 rounds to the final

Really excited/nervous for this one. Unlike some I am absolutely desperate for us to win the champions league, would put the cherry on top of the very nice cake under this pep era.

Part of me would be gutted if pep wasn’t the manager to win us our first champions league trophy.

Would love to see

Ederson
Cancelo Stones Laporte Ake
Rodri
Gundo Bernardo
Mahrez KDB Foden

But think Grealish and Sterling will both be squeezed in somehow, probably for Gundogan and Mahrez.

Would love to see

Ederson
Cancelo Stones Laporte Ake
Rodri
Gundo Bernardo
Mahrez KDB Foden

But think Grealish and Sterling will both be squeezed in somehow, probably for Gundogan and Mahrez.
Sterling is arguably one of our best players of late. Foden not so much. Sterling should be starting both tonight and Sunday.

Are most of Atletico's away support going to miss the match through getting stuck in the queues at M/cr airport?

Have a look at the teams villa played when they won it, forest too. And liverpool. They played about 4 rounds and were playing the champions of ireland and finland.

infinitely harder trophy to win now than then
There are different ways of looking at it. When Villa won the European Cup, they had to win the league to qualify. If you think of the recent (last 20 years) English victories in the Champions League (Chelsea '21, Liverpool '19, Chelsea '12, Rags '08, Liverpool '05), there's only one example of a team that won the league going on to win it.

For Liverpool to win it in '19, they had to qualify by finishing at least fourth, which they did... 25 points behind the champions.

Even though the competition itself is tougher now (with more high-quality teams), qualifying is far easier. So swings and roundabouts. I think Villas EC win was a brilliant achievement for their club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.