Atmosphere - 2023/24

• Thread starter Deleted member 77198
  • Start date
You’re probably right, however £70 plus is unjustifiable, United and Liverpool for example don’t charge that.

It’s everything on top that adds to the problem though, tickets being syphoned off for online agencies, zero sales criteria for big games, we don’t know when, if ever, season tickets are going back on sale, and the last time they went on sale there was no form of waiting list or ticket points criteria used, it was a free for all. Nobody else does this.

There is zero communication with the supporters and it’s disgusting.
Honestly, I'm sympathetic to various degrees on all these points. The only one I'm unsure of is the ticket agency stuff, I don't think it's the club doing that, but everything else I agree on. Not defending the club at all, I just don't like some of the "local club for local people" tone of some of the earlier posts as I think the atmosphere debate is a lot more nuanced than that.

City fans spent the whole first half singing "Is this a library", "Where's your famous atmosphere?", "Shall we sign a sing for you" to a silent stadium, and it was a much bigger game for them than it was for us. You are suffering confirnmation bias again.

I haven’t criticised our away support.

I’ve been to Newcastle, if that’s who you are referring to, on numerous occasions, and I’ve always found it to be a decent atmosphere, with most of the ground joining in singing and supporting Newcastle throughout the match. That doesn’t mean their fans aren’t immune to quiet periods and poor support, like any set of fans. At least the Newcastle fans in all four stands get involved in singing and supporting their team. Something that doesn’t happen at City unless it’s a big game, or like on Sunday when a poor refereeing decision goes against City.

When a club takes 5000/6000 supporters to an away game and they are given the top tier of a stand they will always create a better atmosphere than the home fans and out sing them. Does that ring any bells at the Etihad? 6000 away fans in SSL3. You’ll see that when we play Huddersfield in the FA Cup.

I used to stand in 110 when that corner of the East stand used to be where most of the singing started. It was brilliant. It was always great support from 111,110 and then it spread to 109. There was always loads of banter with the away fans. When the new and official singing section opened in 115, and overtime, 111, 110 and 109 gradually became quieter. For the big games, and if there is goading from the away fans, 111, 1110 and 109 are still loud.

Last edited:
I haven’t criticised our away support.

I’ve been to Newcastle, if that’s who you are referring to, on numerous occasions, and I’ve always found it to be a decent atmosphere, with most of the ground joining in singing and supporting Newcastle throughout the match. That doesn’t mean their fans aren’t immune to quiet periods and poor support, like any set of fans. At least the Newcastle fans in all four stands get involved in singing and supporting their team. Something that doesn’t happen at City unless it’s a big game, or like on Sunday when a poor refereeing decision goes against City.

When a club takes 5000/6000 supporters to an away game and they are given the top tier of a stand they will always create a better atmosphere than the home fans and out sing them. Does that ring any bells at the Etihad? 6000 away fans in SSL3. You’ll see that when we play Huddersfield in the FA Cup.

I used to stand in 110 when that corner of the East stand used to be where most of the singing started. It was brilliant. It was always great support from 111,110 and then it spread to 109. There was always loads of banter with the away fans. When the new and official singing section opened in 115, and overtime, 111, 110 and 109 gradually became quieter. For the big games, and if there is goading from the away fans, 111, 1110 and 109 are still loud.
Eh? I'm not talking about our away support. I'm talking about NEwcastle's home support which you basiclly said "Why can't we be like them?". I'm pointing out that they are not the hotbed of noise you made them out to be and that just a couple of months ago their stadium was silent for our visit until late in the game when they were chasing the win.

Just like our stadium actually.

Many OAP and junior Blues season ticket holders get a good deal compared to pay as you go fans.

Honestly, I'm sympathetic to various degrees on all these points. The only one I'm unsure of is the ticket agency stuff, I don't think it's the club doing that, but everything else I agree on. Not defending the club at all, I just don't like some of the "local club for local people" tone of some of the earlier posts as I think the atmosphere debate is a lot more nuanced than that.
I think people are more bothered about loyal fans being actively treated worse than tourists and day trippers.

If you don't think this ticket agency stuff is real, then where do you think all those masses of people wearing half and half scarves came from. Because they certainly hadn't registered 5 home games in the previous season.

My point is why does someone having more money and speaking a foreign language allow them to jump any criteria thrown at all of us. Same applies for away games

If you don't think this ticket agency stuff is real, then where do you think all those masses of people wearing half and half scarves came from. Because they certainly hadn't registered 5 home games in the previous season.

My point is why does someone having more money and speaking a foreign language allow them to jump any criteria thrown at all of us. Same applies for away games
Well for almost any game its easy enough to buy tickets as a tourist through the official site without any sort of criteria. Ticket agencies have the means and ability to buy up tickets and then sell them on. Sponsors obviously get tickets on bulk and use them to host international contacts. Friends of friends bought a few Real Madrid tickets and sold them on for x2 or x3 or x4 the price on the gray market: I know of one lad who did the same for Istanbul and selling on his ticket paid for his whole trip. It's the having money part that allows you to jump the queue, not the foreign language part.

Eh? I'm not talking about our away support. I'm talking about NEwcastle's home support which you basiclly said "Why can't we be like them?". I'm pointing out that they are not the hotbed of noise you made them out to be and that just a couple of months ago their stadium was silent for our visit until late in the game when they were chasing the win.

Just like our stadium actually.

No, I never said ‘why can’t we be like Newcastle fans’.

’I think’ Newcastle do have a better home support than City have. You can disagree if you like. And that support comes from all 4 stands.

I’ve explained it to you. When an away support has 6000 away fans they will always out sing and create a better atmosphere than the home fans. We’ve both seen and heard that on numerous occasions when away teams in the domestic cup competitions have been given 6000 away tickets and the whole top tier of SSL3. I’ve heard those 6000 away fans sing constantly, whilst our support on level 1, including the level 1 away end, and Level 2, have been quiet/er throughout the match.

When the ‘whole of the Etihad’ get’s behind the team like at home against Bayern Munich, Arsenal, and Real Madrid last season, just to name 3 games, it’s as good, if not better than any home support in Engaland and across Europe. I’m praising our support. (shock, horror!)

I can’t remember the name of the Real Madrid player or his exact words. He stated in an interview after Real Madrid lost to City, Real Madrid had to fight against the City team and the ‘City fans’. It was the best (home) support he had ever heard. I’ll try find the article and his exact words later today.

Off to bed now as I’ve been on a night shift.

No, I never said ‘why can’t we be like Newcastle fans’.

’I think’ Newcastle do have a better home support than City have. You can disagree if you like. And that support comes from all 4 stands.

I’ve explained it to you. When an away support has 6000 away fans they will always out sing and create a better atmosphere than the home fans. We’ve both seen and heard that on numerous occasions when away teams in the domestic cup competitions have been given 6000 away tickets and the whole top tier of SSL3. I’ve heard those 6000 away fans sing constantly, whilst our support on level 1, including the level 1 away end, and Level 2, have been quiet/er throughout the match.

When the ‘whole of the Etihad’ get’s behind the team, like at home against Bayern Munich, Arsenal, and Real Madrid last season, just to name 3 games, it’s as good, if not better than any home support in Engaland and across Europe. I’m praising our support. (shock, horror!)

I can’t remember the name of the Real Madrid player or his exact words. He stated in an interview after Real Madrid lost to City, Real Madrid had to fight against the City team and the ‘City fans’. It was the best (home) support he had ever heard. I’ll try find the article and his exact words later today.

Off to bed now as I’ve been on a night shift.
You said "Why do Newcastle fans support, sing, and create an atmosphere in all 4 of stands and we don’t, bar for the biggest games like Arsenal and Real Madrid last season?".

I pointed out that they are no different, and used the example of the recent cup game we played there. The same applied to the league game the season before too.

Nobody disagrees with the rest of your post which is just obfuscation.

Well for almost any game its easy enough to buy tickets as a tourist through the official site without any sort of criteria. Ticket agencies have the means and ability to buy up tickets and then sell them on. Sponsors obviously get tickets on bulk and use them to host international contacts. Friends of friends bought a few Real Madrid tickets and sold them on for x2 or x3 or x4 the price on the gray market: I know of one lad who did the same for Istanbul and selling on his ticket paid for his whole trip. It's the having money part that allows you to jump the queue, not the foreign language part.
Why should the loyal fans have to make up the numbers for games with less demand, but as soon as a big game comes around they're immediately turfed out for people with big wallets.

I agree that some agencies do work on their own, however I've seen too much to believe that the club doesn't work directly with these agencies.

I've said it before, but at Arsenal away this year there were 20 people on holiday from China, whose tickets were part of the holiday package. These 20 tickets were all together in a block.

You can't tell me that 20 tickets together in the away end has nothing to do with the club

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.