Attendances

I'm shocked this hasn't got closer to selling out - tickets are £25!

The thing I don't get is that it's a great opportunity for a group of mates, who normally go and watch the game in the pub together, to go and sit next to each other and enjoy the game in the stadium for a change. Pubs will be full of people watching tonight, people who don't go normally as well. Why not go for a change?

Has the Colin Bell upper tier ever been on sale for this one?

The lower tier and middle tier look pretty much sold out so that's 23,000 plus 13,000 - 36,000. East and West Upper Tiers hold 5,500 each - that's 11,000. Say half full - takes us to 41,500. Add 3,000 in South Stand - as it stands I guestimate we have sold 44,500. We will sell another few thousand today I would have thought. You may be right I might have been pushing it a bit and its a grim day / night. 45K+ would be decent. 47k+ good. Its not quite as glamorous as Juve.

The lower tier and middle tier look pretty much sold out so that's 23,000 plus 13,000 - 36,000. East and West Upper Tiers hold 5,500 each - that's 11,000. Say half full - takes us to 41,500. Add 3,000 in South Stand - as it stands I guestimate we have sold 44,500. We will sell another few thousand today I would have thought. You may be right I might have been pushing it a bit and its a grim day / night. 45K+ would be decent. 47k+ good. Its not quite as glamorous as Juve.
It's not been on sale but when the East stand level 3 went on sale it was already 1/2 to 3/4 sold so I assume the CB and South level 3 will be at least half sold. So working back if there are about 6000 unsold in those 2 plus at a guess 2000 unsold on the planner I would guess we are at about 45000 sold at the moment. As I posted earlier if we can achieve what would have been a sell out last season that will be a good effort.

Few selling now on East Upper Tier - always goes mad at lunchtime on the day of the game.

Anything over 40,000 tonight is okay for me. 45,000+ would be very good. Personally I reckon it will come in somewhere between 40-45,000. It doesn't look like they are bringing many, the weather is a bit shit and nobody really likes the CL. I'm in the cup scheme in CB L3 so it will be interesting to see exactly how many are in that area. I'm guessing mainly cup schemers and maybe a few on travel package type schemes that you tend to get at CL games.

Our attendances right now compare favourably to Liverpool, who have millions more fans than us. And not just in recent times, when Anfield has a lower capacity, but also in all of their European games, throughout their rich istree. At this stage, v similar opposition, Liverpool were far from selling out Anfield, in their glory days, with terraces & cheap football. If you don't believe me, check out their own rich istree site. http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/ListGamesByType/4

Example: Tuesday 6 November 1973 at 19:30, European Cup 2nd R 2L, Liverpool 1-2 Red Star Belgrade Att: 41,774 which equates to 10,000 empty seats (or spaces on the Kop).

1976/77 42,275 v Trabsonspur at a similar stage. They had 50k for the Semi final v Zurich that season but had previously got 55,043, v St Etienne in the qf, so obviously the away fans from France had swelled up what would have been a below capacity attendance for a QF. Liverpool did not sell out Anfield, for the European Cup Semi final, v Zurich, in the year they first won it.

As holders the following season, 39,835 v Dresden, 48,364 v Benfica in the QF, 51,500 in the Semi final. The previous season, they had 55,881 vs Boro in the FA Cup, 6th round.

80/81: 21,013 v Oulu Palloseura, 36,182 v Aberdeen, 37,255 v CSKA Sofia, 44,543 v Bayern Munich (SF)

83/84: 14,985 v Odense, 33,063 v Bilbao, 39,096 v Benfica (QF) 36,941, v Bucharest (SF)

84/85: 22,143 v Poznan, 27,733 v Benfica, 32,761 v Austria Vienna (QF), 39,488 v Panathinaikos (SF)

That's 4 of their 5 European Cups, right there. So they managed to get a few more fans due to milking the exposure Sky gave then & now MIGHT be able to get bigger attendances when Anfield is expanded. So fucking what ?

We should not be worried about our attendances in the Champions Lg. We are doing better than they were & with their 'istree' they are the yardstick we are supposedly being judged by.

Let's have a look in ten years & see how we are doing then.

I think anything over 45k is pretty good really. Rewind 12 months and thats a pretty full stadium for a not so glamorous CL fixture. Throw the weather into the mix and 45k is a very good turn out.

Our attendances right now compare favourably to Liverpool, who have millions more fans than us. And not just in recent times, when Anfield has a lower capacity, but also in all of their European games, throughout their rich istree. At this stage, v similar opposition, Liverpool were far from selling out Anfield, in their glory days, with terraces & cheap football. If you don't believe me, check out their own rich istree site. http://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/ListGamesByType/4

Example: Tuesday 6 November 1973 at 19:30, European Cup 2nd R 2L, Liverpool 1-2 Red Star Belgrade Att: 41,774 which equates to 10,000 empty seats (or spaces on the Kop).

1976/77 42,275 v Trabsonspur at a similar stage. They had 50k for the Semi final v Zurich that season but had previously got 55,043, v St Etienne in the qf, so obviously the away fans from France had swelled up what would have been a below capacity attendance for a QF. Liverpool did not sell out Anfield, for the European Cup Semi final, v Zurich, in the year they first won it.

As holders the following season, 39,835 v Dresden, 48,364 v Benfica in the QF, 51,500 in the Semi final. The previous season, they had 55,881 vs Boro in the FA Cup, 6th round.

80/81: 21,013 v Oulu Palloseura, 36,182 v Aberdeen, 37,255 v CSKA Sofia, 44,543 v Bayern Munich (SF)

83/84: 14,985 v Odense, 33,063 v Bilbao, 39,096 v Benfica (QF) 36,941, v Bucharest (SF)

84/85: 22,143 v Poznan, 27,733 v Benfica, 32,761 v Austria Vienna (QF), 39,488 v Panathinaikos (SF)

That's 4 of their 5 European Cups, right there. So they managed to get a few more fans due to milking the exposure Sky gave then & now MIGHT be able to get bigger attendances when Anfield is expanded. So fucking what ?

We should not be worried about our attendances in the Champions Lg. We are doing better than they were & with their 'istree' they are the yardstick we are supposedly being judged by.

Fantastic research mate. Less than 15,000 at Anfield for a European Cup match when they had by far the best team in England - I wonder what the mouth-breathers on RAWK have to say about that.

Most clubs don't sell out unless the games are desirable. There are few clubs that sell out for every game and most of those have a fanbase that looks forward to the CL. Arsenal fans will always attend games as there are so many thousands who are unable to attend league games and will snap up tickets. It's the same with Chelsea (albeit in a smaller ground). It's true of the rags even, they're reported attendances are always sell outs but I know from social media that it's easier to get tickets as I know people from the South who manage to get tickets to European games who can't for league matches.

45,000 is a good turnout. We always travel well away from home and it's not a competition the fans are particularly bothered about. What we need is a Hamburgesque knockout game to provoke interest. We'll only get that if we're away from home in the first leg which means winning the group! Until we have that circumstance I don't think we'll get over the lack of interest. The Hamburg game was so good because we knew we needed to support the team with the deficit and it was buzzing that day. The whole stadium was rocking and despite Dunne being sent off we nearly did it. If we can get a 2nd leg at home I think it will generate huge support and the club can market the game easily.

1976/77 42,275 v Trabsonspur at a similar stage. They had 50k for the Semi final v Zurich that season but had previously got 55,043, v St Etienne in the qf, so obviously the away fans from France had swelled up what would have been a below capacity attendance for a QF. Liverpool did not sell out Anfield, for the European Cup Semi final, v Zurich, in the year they first won it. AVERAGE LEAGUE ATTENDANCE 47,221

80/81: 21,013 v Oulu Palloseura, 36,182 v Aberdeen, 37,255 v CSKA Sofia, 44,543 v Bayern Munich (SF) AVG LEAGUE ATTENDANCE 37,547

83/84: 14,985 v Odense, 33,063 v Bilbao, 39,096 v Benfica (QF) 36,941, v Bucharest (SF) AVG LEAGUE ATTENDANCE 31,974

84/85: 22,143 v Poznan, 27,733 v Benfica, 32,761 v Austria Vienna (QF), 39,488 v Panathinaikos (SF) AVG LEAGUE ATTENDANCE 34,444

My kind of post. Brilliant work sir.

I've added average league attendance for the relevant years in your post for further reference.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.