Attendances

There were times in the 1980s when football was not popular that you could sit down on the Kippax Terrace and watch the game

I remember Newcastle had some poor crowds prior to Keegan, but you can say the same for City

In 91 their average attendance was under 17,000 in the second tier. I used to stop at a garage every night on the A1 in the late 90s when I drove the night trunk up to Newcastle, and used to chat with the same Newcastle fan most nights. They were selling out at 36,000 per game and I remember him telling me that every one of those 36,000 will swear blind they were one of the 16,000 from a few years ago.

True enough but historically they have had enormous support. Their average league attendance in 1947-48 was 56,283 which was a world record at the time. This season will be the first time we've averaged over 50,000. I'd also say that they outnumbered us at Wembley in 1976. What is a myth is their loyalty. As you say their support has been less solid than ours although, as mentioned above, ours was piss poor immediately prior to Mercer's arrival. The Swindon gate was 8,015 and we averaged 14,753 that season.

Huge club Newcastle / no doubt about it. As are Sunderland. Magnificent fans.

Agree. One club town.

Also I wish people would stop denigrating City's support.

Nobody is denigrating our support. Our support has generally been more loyal than their's but this one club town is a bit of a myth. Yes, they are the only club in the city of Newcastle (population 290,000) but we are the only club in the city of Manchester (population 514,000). They don't have universal support on Tyneside (population 775,000) as the south bank, which was formerly in County Durham, is shared with Sunderland support. Gateshead is very much "Newcastle" but places like South Shields have loads of Sunderland fans. 2.6 Million people live in Greater Manchester though there are of course a lot of clubs. What Newcastle do have, being the northern most PL club, is a huge catchment area of potential support extending into Scotland.

Nobody is denigrating our support. Our support has generally been more loyal than their's but this one club town is a bit of a myth. Yes, they are the only club in the city of Newcastle (population 290,000) but we are the only club in the city of Manchester (population 514,000). They don't have universal support on Tyneside (population 775,000) as the south bank, which was formerly in County Durham, is shared with Sunderland support. Gateshead is very much "Newcastle" but places like South Shields have loads of Sunderland fans. 2.6 Million people live in Greater Manchester though there are of course a lot of clubs. What Newcastle do have, being the northern most PL club, is a huge catchment area of potential support extending into Scotland.
Come on Wilf. That's a bit disingenuous saying that we are a one club town - technically yes, but I don't think Newcastle have to jostle for supporters against a behemoth that's located only a couple of miles away. Sunderland are big but not quite in the same league in terms of pulling power as our raggy neighbours.

Come on Wilf. That's a bit disingenuous saying that we are a one club town - technically yes, but I don't think Newcastle have to jostle for supporters against a behemoth that's located only a couple of miles away. Sunderland are big but not quite in the same league in terms of pulling power as our raggy neighbours.

City / Sunderland and Newcastle all have fantastic support - certainly in the top 8 clubs in the Country. All 3 clubs.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.