Attendances

Nobody is denigrating our support. Our support has generally been more loyal than their's but this one club town is a bit of a myth. Yes, they are the only club in the city of Newcastle (population 290,000) but we are the only club in the city of Manchester (population 514,000). They don't have universal support on Tyneside (population 775,000) as the south bank, which was formerly in County Durham, is shared with Sunderland support. Gateshead is very much "Newcastle" but places like South Shields have loads of Sunderland fans. 2.6 Million people live in Greater Manchester though there are of course a lot of clubs. What Newcastle do have, being the northern most PL club, is a huge catchment area of potential support extending into Scotland.

Where is the South Bank? South Shields is south of the Tyne and it is easier to get to Sunderland than Newcastle County Durham is mainly Sunderland, you can throw a stone from Gteshead to Newcastle and has always been Newcastle strong hold

There were times in the 1980s when football was not popular that you could sit down on the Kippax Terrace and watch the game

I remember Newcastle had some poor crowds prior to Keegan, but you can say the same for City

I agree, there's a lot of misty-eyed reminiscing about Maine Road and the "fantastic" atmosphere. I can remember many a game when we had pretty poor attendances, a half full Platt Lane and the only thing you could hear was Helens bell..

Our support in terms of numbers is now is off the richter scale compared with those days. Having said that, memories of a full bouncing Kippax still sends shivers down the spine!!

"What is a myth is their loyalty." - Correct, and they are definitely the ONE set of supporters who have absolutely no room to sing the "Where we you, when you were....." song at us which has rung out over the past 3/4 years on a bi-weekly basis, from both traditionally well and poorly supported away teams who visit - but I bet you a tenner they will. It seemed to be in Richard Key's SKY contract from circa 93-96 that he had to mention "Toon Army" & "Loyalty" about 10 times per broadcast whenever "Keegan's Entertainers" got anywhere near a live game.

Strange that it is, it seems to have been the Villa fans that have sung that song with most gusto in recent years - you know, the 1100 or 1200 that can be mithered to make the massive 2 hour journey up the M6 - On that issue, and the general full house point discussed earlier on this thread, I would say based on the last few years evidence only 7, maybe 8 teams will bring the full 3k away allocation this year. I know ticket prices / Sky coverage contribute to that but is getting more and more noticeable that 1500 seats for away fans is more than sufficient now.

If they sing where were you when you were shit - we just sing you must have come on skateboard!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.