Aymeric Laporte - 2018/19 performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sold on him yet either. When he actually has to defend he’s looked sluggish and gets turned quite a lot by anyone with speed. Also infuriating how many times he lets the ball bounce in front of him instead of just going and meeting it with his head.

Much prefer Otamendi who was our best CB last season.
I prefer Otamendi but only just! :)

I prefer Otamendi but only just! :)

I also am mightily unconvinced by Laporte as a defender (particularly 1-on-1) - which is meant to be his primary role. Most likely why he has no caps for France. But at least he is young and could improve. Otamendi is a known quantity: brave and hard-working but rather slow and always at risk of a mistake or a bout of recklessness.

All that said, our system does expose our CBs, sometimes horribly, to fast counterattacks. Denayer had a pretty good game yesterday, but if playing for City, would likely have been skinned alive.

Always a cause for concern when any of the defence feels the need to come into midfield and start playing the quarterback.

I also am mightily unconvinced by Laporte as a defender (particularly 1-on-1) - which is meant to be his primary role. Most likely why he has no caps for France. But at least he is young and could improve. Otamendi is a known quantity: brave and hard-working but rather slow and always at risk of a mistake or a bout of recklessness.

All that said, our system does expose our CBs, sometimes horribly, to fast counterattacks. Denayer had a pretty good game yesterday, but if playing for City, would likely have been skinned alive.
Fair point our system is very open so maybe we need a plan B for certain games.

He was certainly not the main culprit against Lyon.
Delph had his worst game in a City shirt, including the howler that gifted Lyon their first goal and ultimately the match. Laporte in quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.