Ballet on ice .

I was working in the morning and went to Maine Road from the office, which believe it or not was in Wythenshawe, not known for its offices at that time.
Me and my mates (or for the grammar police my mates and I) always stood behind the goals in the open scoreboard end and it was bloody freezing.
When Jimmy Greaves scored the first goal a few people were calling for the game to be called off because of the poor conditions.
We were great that day and it could easily have been a lot more than 4.

de niro said:
our bus didn't turn up :(
Remember that day limited service due to the snow decided to walk from belle vue dog track 53 route.Great season 67/68 won the league also I managed to get to 40 league games just missed 2 away at Sunderland and Southampton,also did Reading away midweek cup replay 7-0 win loved those days football specials and standing on the terraces with all your mates.

Gray said:
I am led to believe we were pretty cunning that day.

The studs were the old leather type that were nailed on to the boots and Alison got the back room staff to remove a layer of the leather from all the studs.

This had the effect as the game wore on that the city players had extra grip as the nails started to protrude as the remaining leather wore down.

I don't know if anybody else heard that story?
Yes I can recall something along these lines. I think this information comes from a later interview with Malcolm Allison. I believe the title "Ballet on Ice" refers to the fact that City frequently experienced Ballet training under Allison and this resulted in the a "Ballet on Ice" comparison being made during the BBC Match of the day commentary. I was sat in the Platt Lane when Greaves scored the first goal and would have welcomed the game being called off at the time. I also think that as a result of this match City v Spurs has been a more frequent choice for tv coverage during subsequent years. This might relate to the fact that whenever this fixture is featured I insist on telling my younger brother all about one of my favourite matches.

oakiecokie said:
One of Neil Youngs finest games that day,but then all eleven were superb.At one stage it looked like the game may not finish, but shit, was I lucky to have been at Maine Road on that day.

Yes Neil was brilliant that day in terrible conditions and showed what a quality player he was. It was absolutely freezing and living near the ground in those days there were rumours that it would be called off flying around all morning but once again Stan Gibson and his men rose to the challenge.

How odd that you should mention this game.
My game that day, in the Bury Sunday School League, had been called off because of a frozen/ snowy pitch.
Having no floodlights we always kicked off winter games at 2.00 pm. So our kind manager offered to give a few of us a lift to Maine Road so we could check how our local hero - Colin Bell - was performing in the big-boys Division.
And yes, it was magical, not only were City brilliant but so too were Gilzean and Greaves for Spurs.
I've been a City addict since that day.

I was a 13 year old at the time and was completely spellbound by City's performance on a pitch that in parts was little more than sheet ice. The initial snowfall had partly melted and then refroze. It was amazing that the teams produced such skilful football in those conditions. It would have been the easy option to just lump the ball in the air as much as possible but historically neither City nor Spurs are that type of team and we were treated to a masterclass of close control and passing.

I think I paid 3/6d to get in the Platt Lane that day, it will be hard to beat that for value for money!

Tony Book often talks about the players sharpening their metal studs to make them grip more. Totally illegal apparently, but Book & co did it. Pretty certain it was Book's idea from his days playing at Bath.

The name ballet on ice apparently came from the fact that City skipped around the pitch in a gracious, ballet like manner. It may well have been the BBC commentator who came up with it.

ColinBellsjockstrap said:
Gray said:
I am led to believe we were pretty cunning that day.

The studs were the old leather type that were nailed on to the boots and Alison got the back room staff to remove a layer of the leather from all the studs.

This had the effect as the game wore on that the city players had extra grip as the nails started to protrude as the remaining leather wore down.

I don't know if anybody else heard that story?

I very much doubt it.

Screw in stud boots were the order of the day by then, most first division players wore Adidas "Santiago" boots in 1967/8.

16kv2s.jpg
you may well doubt it but Tony Book has confirmed its true in interviews since.
he should know.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.