Ballon d'Or 2023 | Haaland finishes 2nd

I don't think Messi deserves the prize, but I think he deserves it more than Haaland. Argentina without Messi would have never won the WC. He was both their best and most important player. Haaland cannot say he is the best nor the most important player for City.

If we are talking about the best players in the world without thinking about titles, it would be Rodri, Mbappe, KDB/Salah for me (probably in that order, although Mbappe could be first).

If we are talking about importance for the clubs that won big titles then it would be Rodri, Messi, KDB.

And if we are talking about consistency I would go with Rodri, Mbappe, Haaland/Salah.

All together the top 3 should be Rodri first for sure, and then KDB Mbappe/Messi.

You simply should not win Ballon D'Or if you are not even close to being the most important player of your own team. I would expect non City fans to give Haaland a top 3 spot because they don't watch us as often, so they don't know our best and most important players.
Argentina without Alvarez I think you mean.

His introduction as a starter in the 2nd game freed up and so assisted Messi to do the things he does.

Last edited:
everybody knows messi will win it, everybody knows that he is a fraud for taking it, just like he is being a fraud in miami, messi is an exceptional player , with exceptional pr to boot, he knows fine well he doesnt deserve it but he wants another to rub it in to ronaldo, they are giving it him because he won a world cup where as in reality it was martinez that won them that world cup

It reminds me of when Giggs won the sports personality of the year award, despite being undeserving of the accolade based on his performances that season.

Haaland deserves the award for his record breaking season, but sentimentality for arguably the greatest ever player has clearly swayed the majority of voters. At least he won the world Cup, which softens the blow a bit. Any other tournament and I think Erling would have won by a landslide.

Depends on your criteria for justifying the award. Messi won the world cup, but did nothing at club level. Harland won everything at club level and broke a few PL and CL records, but wasn't at the World Cup. If your going for outstanding achievement then probably Rodri but it's difficult for a DM. I suspect the people who vote have differing criteria.

There were a couple of seasons where the show pony shouldn't have won and was outperformed but still won it. It will go to Leo.

Depends on your criteria for justifying the award. Messi won the world cup, but did nothing at club level. Harland won everything at club level and broke a few PL and CL records, but wasn't at the World Cup. If your going for outstanding achievement then probably Rodri but it's difficult for a DM. I suspect the people who vote have differing criteria.

There were a couple of seasons where the show pony shouldn't have won and was outperformed but still won it. It will go to Leo.
this narrative, that messi won the world cup is just being pushed by a sympathetic media to make sure he gets the award, he was in the team and was part of it of course but anyone who watched that knows that it was martinez who was most important to winning the trophy

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.