Bands replacing Iconic singers - does it ever really work?

sam-caddick said:
Fleetwood Mac? I loved Peter Greens guitar work, simply a genius of the blues tone, however, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham had better voices and turned the band in to a much better band!
Fair enough, but very different direction, surely?

Brian Johnson is still 'the new guy' no matter how many years he's been ruining some of my favourite tunes with that sickening Geordie screech. Oh, and no sense of humour at all, too. Horrid, horrid, horrid.

Slight change of topic, but what about replacing dead musicians (singers aren't musicians, of course)? Mick Ralphs for Kossoff, anyone? Chuck Leavell for Duane Allman? Taylor/Woods for Jones? What about all those dead drummers in Tap?

echo and the bunnymen replacing McCulloch with noel burke for the reverberation album just never worked in my opinion.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
It can work, Dave Gilmour ultimately replaced Syd Barrett in Pink Floyd. David Coverdal replaced Ian Gillan in Deep Purple and probably the best example is Bruce Dickinson replaced Paul Di-anno in Iron Maiden.

Take your point, but Di-anno in IM is like the ginger bloke on drums in the beatles before Ringo - no one remembers him.

Went to see The Jam last year was great but maybe because the songs are class so enjoyed it anyway even without Paul Weller Singing ..

Helmet Cole said:
Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
It can work, Dave Gilmour ultimately replaced Syd Barrett in Pink Floyd. David Coverdal replaced Ian Gillan in Deep Purple and probably the best example is Bruce Dickinson replaced Paul Di-anno in Iron Maiden.

Take your point, but Di-anno in IM is like the ginger bloke on drums in the beatles before Ringo - no one remembers him.

Ah but being an old twat and queuing up to buy their second album Killers to me Iron Maiden sounds totally different with Bruce. Don't get me wrong I love that line up but it took me until the powerslave album to get used to him. I bought a bootleg from a record fair in Manchester 20 years ago called "Big Heat" with the original lineup live in Japan and its the best maiden cd I have. Its awesome!!

Hart of the matter said:
Saw foreigner a couple of times recently and new singer was fantastic. Great showman and great voice.

Kelly Hansen - apparently he also makes some decent outdoor clothing in his spare time!

sam-caddick said:
Fleetwood Mac? I loved Peter Greens guitar work, simply a genius of the blues tone, however, Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham had better voices and turned the band in to a much better band!

no......just no

Green Manalishi
Albatross
Man Of The world
Oh Well
Need Your Love So Bad

some of the best records ever

nimrod said:
sam-caddick said:

no......just no

Green Manalishi
Albatross
Man Of The world
Oh Well
Need Your Love So Bad

some of the best records ever

I agree to some extent mate, being a guitarist myself I look up to Peter Green as inspiration but for me as a band Stevie Nicks and Lindsey Buckingham made Fleetwood Mac a band.

Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac was for me was just Peter Green with a very good backing band. Everyone went to watch them to see Peter Green, now people go and see Fleetwood Mac because they want to see the whole group.

Fleetwood Mac in the 60s did no define a genre of its time as there was many alike doing the whole blues thing at the time wheras Fleetwood Mac in the 70's defined a whole genre of Soft Rock alongside the Eagles. Rumours to this day is always put in the top 50 records ever made.

Just my opinions pal!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.