Barca v City Post Match Thread

Some positives for me:
- the first time we didn't seem overawed being on the same pitch as Barcelona
- we matched them for possession and (in the 1st half) created more (and better) chances
- we stifled their creativity with our high pressing, and forced lots of errors (how many times did ter Stegen boot the ball out)
- Raheem's continuing growth as a key player for us
- not losing 7-0 playing with 10 men against the most skilful club team in the world!

Some negatives:
- still lacking the killer instinct
- giving a game away we had a chance to get something from through a combination of poor decision making and individual errors
- losing 4-0 against a team that only created 2-3 more chances than us

One other thing: who will be our sub goalie in 2 weeks?

The difference lastnight, was AGAIN.... FINISHING!!! or lack of it on our part.
I'm not overly worried that we are again at the same juncture we were last season, winning the early round of 5 or 6 games, then hitting a blip, Pep will continue to fine tune and develop his players.
That we went toe to toe with Barca for long periods, caused them real trouble is a major plus point for us, but the issue of taking our chances and being clinical is something that needs all of Pep's attention, which I'm sure he will address it.
We are still a work in progress, we will improve, I'm sure Pep will strengthen during January and next Summer, we are still top of the Prem, still playing scintillating football, can't win 'em all!
+1

Couldn't agree more.

We were in excellent position to score on numerous occasions versus Barca but were unlucky not to finish.

I think we'd still have lost the match following Bravo's sending off - but we were very competitive otherwise.

On another night, Bravo wouldn't have made that error - gifting the ball to Suarez - and we'd have been much more clinical in finishing - and Fernandinho wouldn't have slipped.

I actually though that we were extremely unfortunate not to have emerged with a win.

Some positives for me:
- the first time we didn't seem overawed being on the same pitch as Barcelona
- we matched them for possession and (in the 1st half) created more (and better) chances
- we stifled their creativity with our high pressing, and forced lots of errors (how many times did ter Stegen boot the ball out)
- Raheem's continuing growth as a key player for us
- not losing 7-0 playing with 10 men against the most skilful club team in the world!

Some negatives:
- still lacking the killer instinct
- giving a game away we had a chance to get something from through a combination of poor decision making and individual errors
- losing 4-0 against a team that only created 2-3 more chances than us

One other thing: who will be our sub goalie in 2 weeks?
Gunn will be sub goalie,the choices are not good for a game like that

Gunn will be sub goalie,the choices are not good for a game like that
Might that actually be a blessing in disguise?

If Gunn somehow comes on and displaces Willy - that might well be of benefit to our side.

I like Willy - but, just as Joe was - I think he's totally unsuitable for the way Pep wants to play.

Might that actually be a blessing in disguise?

If Gunn somehow comes on and displaces Willy - that might well be of benefit to our side.

I like Willy - but, just as Joe was - I think he's totally unsuitable for the way Pep wants to play.
No,Angus is essential an EDS keeper,in no way is this game a good time to test him

Listen to Pep's interviews.

And read "Pep Confidential."

Your opinion is 100% wrong.

Actually it isn't: personality definitely had something to do with it although not sure that influence in dressing room was a specific issue other than Pep wants certain behaviours from his players and if someone is not exhibiting them it could potentially be seen as the wrong influence.

And I've read Pep Confidential (twice) and listened to plenty of interviews and they are not as helpful as the one bit of inside info that I happen to have.

Actually it isn't: personality definitely had something to do with it although not sure that influence in dressing room was a specific issue other than Pep wants certain behaviours from his players and if someone is not exhibiting them it could potentially be seen as the wrong influence.

And I've read Pep Confidential (twice) and listened to plenty of interviews and they are not as helpful as the one bit of inside info that I happen to have.
Personality didn't help Joe. I agree with that.

But really.. no way that Pep was going to play without a keeper who wasn't world-class playing it from the back.

There's no way - even if Joe was an absolute angel and backed everything that Pep desired - that Joe would have been our starting keeper at the start of this year.

At best, Joe could have hoped for a backup role - and training his ass off to hopefully become sufficient on the ball to start under Pep's system (I personally doubt that this would ever have occured - either you're great on the ball at birth or you're not - Joe is not).

The difference lastnight, was AGAIN.... FINISHING!!! or lack of it on our part.
I'm not overly worried that we are again at the same juncture we were last season, winning the early round of 5 or 6 games, then hitting a blip, Pep will continue to fine tune and develop his players.
That we went toe to toe with Barca for long periods, caused them real trouble is a major plus point for us, but the issue of taking our chances and being clinical is something that needs all of Pep's attention, which I'm sure he will address it.
We are still a work in progress, we will improve, I'm sure Pep will strengthen during January and next Summer, we are still top of the Prem, still playing scintillating football, can't win 'em all!
Who's clinical apart from Kun though? Kdb isn't a striker. Sterling far from clinical. Silva far from clinical. Gundogan still settling in. We desperately need goals in our team.

No,Angus is essential an EDS keeper,in no way is this game a good time to test him

Pep rates Gunn very highly as a prospect but I think he will be reluctant to use him in the first team this season. Next season I expect him to take Willy's place. Would not be surprised to see him go out on loan for a short time to get some first team games.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.