Barcelona H CL Pre match thread {merged}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting article by Guillem Balague.

At long last, and perhaps just in time, the penny’s dropped at Barcelona. Tata Martino’s previously all-conquering Catalan side has finally returned to its essence, playing the style of football it has always played better than anyone else. And that suits the squad they have.

And that could be very bad news for Manchester City, whom Barcelona meet in the last 16 of the Champions League.

So what’s brought about this most welcome of U-turns?

In retrospect, Barcelona’s 3-2 home defeat against Valencia in the league, the first since Real Madrid won there in April 2012, could well go down as the most valuable result in the club’s season.

Tata Martino’s search for a different, more direct approach was very much conceived with the idea of taking on the best in Europe as well as closest rivals Atletico and Real Madrid.

It missed one important point. Barcelona does not have the type of player for that type of football. And in the match against Valencia, despite an OK half hour or so, the walls fell in.

An overly direct approach, the desire to play box-to-box football without the necessary personnel, an unwillingness to pressure high, coupled fatally with an inability to defend deep, finally brought what we knew was coming.

Perhaps also, in his search for alternative styles, the wrong blend in midfield was being utilised with a player like Andres Iniesta, especially after his injury, in and out of the team.

Players and coaches have spoken since, and what has been decided is to go back to the essence of what Pep Guardiola’s Barcelona always was, to the style that made them the best in the world: a side packed with world-class midfielders who play between the lines, build from the back, counter-attack when appropriate, are not over-direct and press high up the pitch with the assistance of the full-backs that press forward.

It's a system, above all, that plays according to its strengths—one that allows them to control the game, to recognise themselves on the pitch. Horses for courses, round pegs in round holes, call it what you will.

And after just two games against Real Sociedad and Rayo Vallecano, the difference is patent.

Because the team now controls the midfield, Messi doesn’t have to drop as deep as he has been doing and can now play in the false-nine position closer to the box where he can use his mazy dribbles and explosive pace to maximum effect.

I don’t remember a single long, diagonal ball being played from the centre-back to the winger in the last two games.

Against Real Sociedad, the good old boys were back in town with Busquets, Iniesta, Xavi and Cesc in the lineup. Xavi was missing against Rayo, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see him back in the side for the City game, where they will play once again with a packed midfield with probably Pedro, who was replaced early against Rayo, or maybe Alexis, to give a bit of depth to the team.

Had you asked me two games ago who I would have considered favourites for the tie, I would have had no hesitation in saying that it was a very tight fixture and that City had more than a chance. The style being attempted by Martino had converted Barcelona into just another team that depended too much on the stars.

The new-look (or rather, return to the old-look) Barcelona changes things radically. Whereas before, victory over City would have depended on individual performances, going back to their essence means the team can now perform as a unit.

Tata Martino might have listened just in time, and that could be bad news for Man City.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ence-barcelona-could-be-bad-news-for-man-city

From tomorrows MEN
Manuel Pellegrini says Fernandinho could still turn out against Barcelona - if he can prove his fitness in training on Monday.

The Blues boss also refused to rule out the possibility Sergio Aguero could make a surprise return after three weeks out with a hamstring injury, but getting his top scorer back seems less likely.

“It’s my opinion that for Aguero it is very difficult,” said the Chilean, whose team bounced back to form with an FA Cup fifth round win over Chelsea on Saturday.

“Fernandinho? Maybe if he worked yesterday [Sunday] with no problem and today he is 100 per cent fit - and if he does not have any fear about his injury - we will see if he can play.

“They have to be 100 per cent. if there is any risk of them being injured again, they won’t play. We will talk to the doctor and see what happens.”

Matija Nastasic is already ruled out, but the big positive for Pellegrini was that Samir Nasri and Javi Garcia both returned from injury lay-offs in impressive fashion.

Garcia’s form was especially heartening, as defensive midfield has been a weak area with Fernandinho also out.

“I think Javi played a superb game, in all senses - practical, technical,” he said. “It’s not easy when you have just come back from injury after two or three weeks out.

“He is always an important option but at the moment I’m not thinking about what we’re doing on Tuesday. We will see how the players recover.”

Pellegrini said that the victory against Chelsea was partly driven by a desire for retribution after the league defeat by Jose Mourinho’s side.

“I felt the team wanted revenge, not just against Chelsea, but also because of the Norwich game,” he said.

“I don’t think the team was fresh enough for those games, because they had played so many games in the previous two months.”

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manuel-pellegrini-fernandinho-chance-being-6714782" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ng-6714782</a>

Just wondering what would be the best team made up from City & Barca.
This is mine
Hart
Zabaleta. Kompany. Piquet. Busquets
Inesta Yaya. Silva
Messi Aguero. Neymar

Not bad I think

M24 Citizen said:
1998 blue said:
MILNER IS ALLOWED TO PLAY. PLEASE CAN PEOPLE NOTICE THIS FROM EVERY OTHER POST

Thanks for clearing that up, I knew this was the case!

Seriously, he is fucking banned!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/season=2014/clubs/player=70120/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague ... index.html</a>

Fernandinho and Zabaleta will miss the 2nd leg if they are booked.

No Barca players in danger.

Hihosilva said:
Just wondering what would be the best team made up from City & Barca.
This is mine
Hart
Zabaleta. Kompany. Piquet. Busquets
Inesta Yaya. Silva
Messi Aguero. Neymar

Not bad I think

I'd say:

Hart

Zabaleta
Kompany
Pique
Alba

Iniesta
Yaya
Silva

Neymar
Messi
Aguero

The team wouldn't be too good at defending. So it's probably either Silva or Yaya and Busquets as the holding mid.

Lord BLue said:
keemcfc said:
Team almost picks itself with all the injuries and suspensions we have

________________Hart
Zabaleta_Kompany_Lescott_Clichy

___________Yaya_____Garcia
Navas_________Silva_____Nasri/Jovetic

______________Negredo

Is what I'd go with, but we'll see Demichelis instead of Lescott imo and maybe Kolarov and Dzeko
remember when england played spain and lescott was part of an england clean sheet? i know his days are numbered but i'd go with Lescott for this one
Yep he's looked the most solid CB recently and he was great v Chelsea

Fabregas is probably their most in form player at the moment (Messi aside). I don't see any way they'll leave him out, even if it's at the expense of an Iniesta.

As it is, I think they'll go with something like this assuming Neymar is fit to start.

...............................Busquets

.................Xavi.........................Iniesta

......................Fabregas.........................Neymar

.................................Messi

The front 3 will drift wherever really, Neymar would be the only one that would retain any sort of shape on that left side.

I'd be tempted to go with Kolarov just for the amount of space he'd have to overlap Jovetic/Nasri. Their right side will be pretty bare a lot of the time with Alves bombing on, Fabregas isn't gonna hug the touchline much and Messi will occasionally drift over there. I think we could really hurt them down that side if they do go with that team.

I'd take a 0-0. I think we could possibly go there and get a score draw in the 2nd leg. The pragmatism of Mancini would've served us well in this 1st leg, with Pellegrini you can't really 2nd guess what team he'll set up with.

Looking forward to finally getting to see this Barca team in the flesh before they start to dissemble though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.