Basic People Management Skills

bluemoonmatt said:
BillyShears said:
Like I said it's pointless even trying to "discuss" with the likes of you and Rob'Eh when you've made it plain that you consider my opinions in Mancini to be biased and lacking in integrity. You have your opinion I have mine.

Oh and I'm delighted that this forum hasn't descended into the sort of myopic "It'd be nice if we all pulled in the same direction" crap you're advocating.
Can I just clarify, are you saying, as things currently stand, you do not have an agenda with Mancini, and that as the manager of our team, you support the decisions he makes in relation to the playing staff.

As things currently stand I think Mancini's doing an excellent job of managing City. He's bought very very wisely, he's improved our defending no end, he's also improved individual players as well as our team play, which is surely the mark of an excellent manager.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of his more cautious tactical decisions, but I accept that results come first. I'm also, as this thread is an example of, dubious about just how good he is at managing his playing squad, and more importantly, whether he can put his ego aside for the greater good of the club...of that, time will tell. I hope that if nothing else, we can in the coming months stem the tide of disgruntled players going to the press. How that is achieved, I guess is up to the people behind the scenes at City...

bluemoonmatt said:
KenTheLandlord said:
Fair point, he probably shouldn't have gone running up the stairs to confront Garry Cook either. Mind, i suppose Garry Cook went running down the stairs to question him.
Nicely put, its just semantics. Going to the press/the press approached him matters not one jot. Shay has used the press to vent his frustrations, instead of being a grown up adult of 30 whatever and knocking on Roberto's door. I believe that displays a lack professionalism.

The Cook/Given/Bellamy ""showdown" did not take place if my sources are correct - and this one usually is.

A simple meeting took place with some senior pros where they were informed of what was happening. No showdown, no arguing, nothing.

The rest was tabloid bullshit.

But this isn't. As far as I'm aware none of the press have even commented on this. It's just a sentence in an interview which set off alarm bells for me. I don't think Given had whinged at all, he's handled himself with dignity.

But the Saint Bob brigade are falling over themselves - again - to blame everyone else.

BillyShears said:
bluemoonmatt said:
Can I just clarify, are you saying, as things currently stand, you do not have an agenda with Mancini, and that as the manager of our team, you support the decisions he makes in relation to the playing staff.

As things currently stand I think Mancini's doing an excellent job of managing City. He's bought very very wisely, he's improved our defending no end, he's also improved individual players as well as our team play, which is surely the mark of an excellent manager.

I can't say I'm a huge fan of his more cautious tactical decisions, but I accept that results come first. I'm also, as this thread is an example of, dubious about just how good he is at managing his playing squad, and more importantly, whether he can put his ego aside for the greater good of the club...of that, time will tell. I hope that if nothing else, we can in the coming months stem the tide of disgruntled players going to the press. How that is achieved, I guess is up to the people behind the scenes at City...

Excellent post, and pretty much sums up my view of the great man...

Shit. I've just agreed with BS...

Aaaaarrrrggghhh!!!!

Didsbury Dave said:
bluemoonmatt said:
Nicely put, its just semantics. Going to the press/the press approached him matters not one jot. Shay has used the press to vent his frustrations, instead of being a grown up adult of 30 whatever and knocking on Roberto's door. I believe that displays a lack professionalism.

The Cook/Given/Bellamy ""showdown" did not take place if my sources are correct - and this one usually is.

A simple meeting took place with some senior pros where they were informed of what was happening. No showdown, no arguing, nothing.

The rest was tabloid bullshit.

But this isn't. As far as I'm aware none of the press have even commented on this. It's just a sentence in an interview which set off alarm bells for me. I don't think Given had whinged at all, he's handled himself with dignity.

But the Saint Bob brigade are falling over themselves - again - to blame everyone else.

So why hasn't Given done that this time, instead of speaking to the press.

Rammy Blue said:
I think a certain amount of latitude should be granted to Bob in that he can't pre-determine the side he picks for certain games weeks in advance.

In an ideal world we would be injury free, and a few points better off, in which case Bob could afford to rotate the keepers - the reality though is that Joe dropped a bollock against Blackburn and therefore kept his place against Salzburg which has resulted in 2 clean sheets including Wigan.

Now of course you would expect Shay to start against WBA however following his interview Bob may well again stick with Joe, who knows? Bob does and he will make his selection based on what he sees fit.

My point being that if Bob had said to Shay he would start against Salzburg and then after Joe's mistake he changes his mind, for the benefit of the team, then people would be slagging him for not being true to his word.

You stole my point Rammy.

Who knows, Mancini could have decided that Given was going to play in the Europa game but Joe's clanger meant that if he was left out the press would have been all over us and Mancini saying that Hart had been "hung out to dry" and it might have affected Joe in the long run.

However, Mancini gave him the opportunity to get straight back on his bike and atone for his error.

I can't speak for Mancini's overall man-management skills but this incident in isolation surely point to a man ensuring one of our vital first team players keeps his confidence as high as possible early on in a very long season.

He did a full 2page intervew about his career. It was probably booked weeks ago. The Times profile one player every Sunday.

This is not some story where he's rung up a journalist and said "Listen, I'm pissed off with the manager"

I wish the interview was online but it isn't, or I cant find it.

He has said nothing negative whatsoeever about the club or manager.

It is me who saw the negatives in his simple answer to a question put to him. Much as you are trying to deflect, Shay Given is blameless in this.

BillyShears said:
bluemoonmatt said:

Ego ??? the guy has come across for the most part as the model of humility to me. What reason do think his ego is getting in the way of his job. On the subject of players going to the press, then to be honest I would advocate a zero tolerance policy. A blanket ban of unauthorised interviews wherby anyone breaking this rule would receive the maximum penalty allowed under their contract of employment, after all in every walk of life if someone slated their employers publically they would expect to be heavily sanctioned. And don't give me no bull about this not being normal life, when was the last time a rag player slated twgfc (tm) and got away with it. Its high time the well remunerated but currently sidelined (for a reason) superstars of the good ship Manchester City learned to show some respect, not just to their boss and the club but also to us, the fans

stony said:
BillyShears said:
It's futile me trying to argue with posts like yours or Rob'Eh's. No matter how legitimate my criticism of Mancini is, there will always be a few people who will just resort to "you just don't like him, you have an agenda, you're a mancini hater, blah blah blah..." I find it about as tedious as you find my criticism of him...

The only people having a pop at Mancini are the same people who's favourite player has been fucked off. It may be a coincidence but it's a pretty big one.

I'm not blind to his faults, it's taken me a while to adjust to his style of play. But I'm slowly coming round to it and can see that when everything starts to gel we will be up there with the best. Not just this country either but Europe.
There's enough wankers in the press having a pop at him and us, without our own fans doing it every chance they get.
It would be nice if we all pulled in the same direction for a change and not let personal feelings cloud our judgement. We are all supposed to want the same thing and that is City winning things.

Ha ha - just seen this little gem.

"Favourite player"?!?!?!?!

What do you think this is, school?

"FAvourite player"!

PMSL

m27 said:
Rammy Blue said:
I think a certain amount of latitude should be granted to Bob in that he can't pre-determine the side he picks for certain games weeks in advance.

In an ideal world we would be injury free, and a few points better off, in which case Bob could afford to rotate the keepers - the reality though is that Joe dropped a bollock against Blackburn and therefore kept his place against Salzburg which has resulted in 2 clean sheets including Wigan.

Now of course you would expect Shay to start against WBA however following his interview Bob may well again stick with Joe, who knows? Bob does and he will make his selection based on what he sees fit.

My point being that if Bob had said to Shay he would start against Salzburg and then after Joe's mistake he changes his mind, for the benefit of the team, then people would be slagging him for not being true to his word.

You stole my point Rammy.

Who knows, Mancini could have decided that Given was going to play in the Europa game but Joe's clanger meant that if he was left out the press would have been all over us and Mancini saying that Hart had been "hung out to dry" and it might have affected Joe in the long run.

However, Mancini gave him the opportunity to get straight back on his bike and atone for his error.

I can't speak for Mancini's overall man-management skills but this incident in isolation surely point to a man ensuring one of our vital first team players keeps his confidence as high as possible early on in a very long season.

I actually don't think anyone has a problem per se with Joe keeping his place for the Salzburg game. I think it was even discussed on here prior to the match and a lot of us were in agreement that the right thing to do was play him even if he originally intended to play Given.

However Given's point for me still has some validity. Once the decision to play Joe was made, it surely wouldn't have hurt Mancini to pull Shay aside and explain his point of view. This way, if the same question was asked in an interview, there would be no way for him to criticize the manager. He'd have to say "the manager explained his decision..." even if he didn't agree with it...

Didsbury Dave said:
He did a full 2page intervew about his career. It was probably booked weeks ago. The Times profile one player every Sunday.

This is not some story where he's rung up a journalist and said "Listen, I'm pissed off with the manager"

I wish the interview was online but it isn't, or I cant find it.

He has said nothing negative whatsoeever about the club or manager.

It is me who saw the negatives in his simple answer to a question put to him. Much as you are trying to deflect, Shay Given is blameless in this.

Doesn't that kind of sum up this whole thread?

Anyway, Mancini has successfully managed some of the most difficult players in world football; Balo, Ibra, Tevez, etc. I have absolutely no concerns over his people management skills, his record speaks for itself.

I'm getting pretty sick of players who think "I should be playing every week because I'm really good, despite the fact that I don't show it in training".

If you want to play, put the hours in and wait for your chance. At City, you compete against some of the best players in the world and it's hard to get into our team. If you would rather compete against the Stuart Taylors of this world and play every game guaranteed, sign for Fulham, we don't need players with this attitude.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.