Bayern Munich - pre match discussion thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
hallstreetblue said:
paphos-mcfc said:
We'll have to pick ourselves up quickly after the villa game. They'll be coming to us with a point to prove.

Muller, Gotze, Ribbery and Robben will be causing us all sorts of problems.

Don't think Götze will start though, but you're bang on.

He definately won't start, he may get 30 minutes or so second half.

Jumanji said:
Tiberius said:
Hi everybody, I'm a Bayern fan who came here in order to find out a bit more about our next opponent. I figuered that here is not too much information about the current status and tactics of our team, so I decided to add some.

First of all the Pep system is starting to kick in. Not perfectly yet but it's improving. Pep has basically only thing in mind: Ball possession. As a result from that ball recovery is another key. Over stretches this season Bayern has shown some amazing pressing deep in the opponent's half. Possession and recovery are both not yet on Barca level and probably will never be. But honestly that's not a big deal as long as our defense remains a level above Barca's. We are also much more dynamic than Barca ever was.

From City's point of view there are basically two issues you have to take care off:
Firstly, you have to shut down our wingers. If Ribery and Robben get more than once in a one on one situation, then we will score, that's almost inevitable. They are just too good. Shutting them down is possible if you double cover the wings whenever Rib or Rob get to the ball. Also, be aware of those situations when Ribery and Robben show up on the same wing. That's what we call "the circus is in town" as these two artists do amazing stuff with each other. In general Pep's Bayern are much more rotating than last year's team was.
Secondly, try to match up our midfield dominance. Now that's much harder to achieve. Our basic system is Pep's beloved 4-1-4-1. But when we attack our FB's move forward and usually even to the inside, which then basically turns it into a 2-3-4-1 and provides us with up to 7 (!) midfielders. In order to match this it will require a lot of footwork from your strikers. But obviously it also opens up opportunities for your counter attacks -- if you can control the ball long enough to launch one... ;-)

As for players: As long Martinez and Thiago aren't fit, Lahm will remain the sole defending midfielder. And he's doing a pretty good job there. Schweinsteiger falls back sometimes but rather when we have the ball in order to orchestrate the attack . The team I expect is:

Neuer
Rafinha - Boateng - Dante - Alaba
Lahm
Robben - Schweinsteiger - Kroos - Ribery
Mandzukic

With Mueller coming off the bench. Mueller is the most erratic player in the world, a constant pain in the ass and scoring threat, hence he will definitely play, either as a substitute or from the start instead of Kroos or Mandzukic. We'll see. And either Goetze or Shaqiri will get some playing time too as Schweinsteiger is not at full strength yet after several months of injuries, therefore I expect him to be replaced at some stage.

Anyway, I definitely do respect the quality of City's squard, and therefore I think this is going to be a very interesting game I'm really looking forward to. The first real test for the Pep-Bayern. I would be OK with an away draw, TBH. Good luck guys!
Decent first post & welcome...didn't appreciate the slight rag-like arrogance but it wasn't too bad at all. ;-)
I think it was more 'delight' than 'arrogance'. His team does sound scary. :(

Should be a really good game this, they have such good quality throughout their squad, both out wide and in the middle. I do think we can cope with Robben and Ribery, our full backs aren't needed in attack so much because of the inter play between yaya, nasri/silva, aguero, negredo who all move about and occupy different space. It will be interesting to see what team we put out, ideally it will be as close to the one we played v the rags as possible. We will have to work hard to stop their wide players but we are not a team to simply watch them keep the ball, with Fernandinho in there we will hassle and Aguero and Negredo will work hard off the ball, in possession we will be very good and Bayern will have to be careful on the counter, I think their centre back pairing will have a tough time. Will be very interesting, both teams are under transition, but in terms of strength and depth and quality you would put Bayern ahead. We will see!

Hart

Micah Vinny Nasty Clichy

Yaya Ferna

Navas Sergio Nasri

Negredo

We should throw everything at them. IMO this is like a free shot, there is no major worries if we get beat as i think we will still qualify comfortable. But if we pull it off ie derby day by going at them then I don't see why we can't win this game.

chris85mcfc said:
Hart

Micah Vinny Nasty Clichy

Yaya Ferna

Navas Sergio Nasri

Negredo

We should throw everything at them. IMO this is like a free shot, there is no major worries if we get beat as i think we will still qualify comfortable. But if we pull it off ie derby day by going at them then I don't see why we can't win this game.

Agreed - we need Micah to add something a little different with his ability to provide strength and pace on the right. Wouldn't play him away at the Allianz Arena though.

munster said:
chris85mcfc said:
Hart

Micah Vinny Nasty Clichy

Yaya Ferna

Navas Sergio Nasri

Negredo

Agreed - we need Micah to add something a little different with his ability to provide strength and pace on the right. Wouldn't play him away at the Allianz Arena though.

I agree.This is a chance to get some points that we probably didn't expect. If we beat them at home, hopefully by the time we come to play them away if wouldn't matter if it was Micah, Zaba or Richard Edghill at right back cause we'd already be through :)

They put East Stand level 3 (but not Colin Bell level 3) tickets back on online sale... it seems nearly impossible that this game is going to sell out and that is really disappointing. On the flip side, maybe it means they will price down big game Champions League tickets in future.

Hopefully there is still a really good atmosphere though, because that could help the lads against Europe's top team. I for one can't wait for it, these are the games I dreamed of and I reckon we can get a result if we put on a derby-esque performance.

Maldeika said:
The biggest question in Bayern's starting formation is Robben or Müller.

What d'you think the team/formation will be mate ?

Our home form in Europe is actually not bad, even the last 2 seasons in the Champion's League, despite poor campaigns, we've remained unbeaten at the Etihad (2 wins 1 draw the first year, 3 draws the second year). In fact we haven't lost a home game in Europe since the second qualifying round for the UEFA Cup in August 2008 when the mighty FC Midtjylland beat us 1-0, and that was only our 2nd home defeat in European competition, ever (the first being a 1-0 defeat to Chelsea in the European Cup Winner's Cup Semi Final 2nd Leg in 1971). Given the quality of the oppostion I'd take a point against Bayern Munich, then hopefully a minimum of 4 points from the CSKA Moscow games, another 3 points against Plzen and we'll be qualified before we head to the Allianz.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.