Benat

oldius said:
Sinclair and Garcia its far too soon to judge. Boating is a perfect example of what I am talking about as I suspect is savic. Young players given far too little time. Both will be succesful.

For Boateng Manchester City and a foreign country especially at his age were not the right thing.

He is not stupid - but somehow a slow thinker who is somehow a mess. I have the exact word for it in German - but it is difficult to explain or translate it into English. I read his twitter messages and he gives birthday greetings at wrong days etc. - I hope he has a good agent that takes care of his business stuff very good.

He is great quality - but at him you always fear that he does something stupid or that something stupid happens to him. Like the header from Sidney Sam that would not have gone far off goal but went to Boateng's face and then into goal or the red card against Bate. That is just typical Boateng. It does not happen very often - and others do mistakes, too.

robbieh said:
FantasyIreland said:
oldius said:
Top post. We are champions yet some still want to pick at individuals. I suppose it's the nature of the forum dweller but surely, the last two years has taught us that we have a man at the helm who knows a player.

Mario
Johnson
Boateng
Savic
Kolarov
Nasri
Dzeko
Sinclair
Garcia

All poor purchases IMO,at a cost of approx 130m and astronomical wages.........

Most of these were good purchases when they were made. Sometimes very good players just don't work out at clubs whereas some average players do well when they move.

Boateng case in point. Good player just not at City. Kolarov is a good player and will be valuable whenever Clichy is absent, a quality back up. Edin is pretty much in the same category although in his case it might be that our style of play passes him by, a bit like Ibra at Barca.

Savic will come good somewhere. It was just to early for him.

Adam Johnson was a good buy. He often terrorised tiring defences last year which contributed to our goal difference. Would have been happy had he stayed but he wanted first team football.

Garcia is a good CL player. The question at this stage is will he be a Boateng or will he be a Yaya.

Which leaves the two most talented. And I think that mentally they are being found wanting. Perhaps we should have gone for more stable guys.

So in short I would say that Balo was a gamble. The others solid aquisitions apart from Nasri who is a mistake at 25 million.

Oh I forgot Sinclair, but then so has Bobby.

FI has also neglected to mention the time we bought them and the position of the club, or anything else that may have been happening in those particular transfer windows. Kolarov is not a pub player with occasional wonder strike, and the fact you've written that makes me question whether it's worth my time responding to you any more.

Johnson has already been recognised as virtually nothing to do with Mancini as well. Garcia and Sinclair you can't comment on yet as both have hardly played yet. Savic was young and a gamble. You've got to take gambles from time to time, he didn't pay off. Nastasic was just as much of a gamble but I don't see him in your list.

Nasri does a job, he's just not as direct as you'd like. You can't just change a player as and when you need a different type of player. He may not be Iniesta or Xavi, but he's not useless by any stretch of the imagination.

That leaves Mario and Dzeko, and considering the amount of signings Mancini has made, two under achievers is hardly a bad record. Especially when you look at other managers' record for instance. Also Dzeko and Mario are not bad players at all, our system doesn't favour the former and the latter is well... Mario

I may be extreme in some of my criticism of his purchases,however,it cannot be argued that we haven't had good value for our money with the majority.

Far better players,both in attitude and ability,have been on the market while we have been shopping and yet,for reasons unknown,they escaped us,this has to change as we are accumulating a little too much deadwood again.

I'm confident the new lads upstairs will begin to rectify this.

FantasyIreland said:
I may be extreme in some of my criticism of his purchases,however,it cannot be argued that we haven't had good value for our money with the majority.

Far better players,both in attitude and ability,have been on the market while we have been shopping and yet,for reasons unknown,they escaped us,this has to change as we are accumulating a little too much deadwood again.

I'm confident the new lads upstairs will begin to rectify this.

Of course we haven't always got value for money, but we've got the players we need. The reasons aren't unknown for this at all. It's not our fault we're against the clock and every club/agent we deal with slaps a rich owner tax on our heads. Not to mention that when we were growing as a club we didn't have players forcing a move to us when they heard we were interested like they do with Barca/Real/Bayern etc. We needed to pay big money to get them on board.

With the new Barca guys and the fact we're champions that will start to decline and we'll see more bargains as time goes on.

Goo said:
[
Of course we haven't always got value for money, but we've got the players we need.

I disagree,we have been crying out for a quality wide man and a deeplying playmaker for a long time,neither has been purchased.

FantasyIreland said:
Goo said:
Of course we haven't always got value for money, but we've got the players we need.

I disagree,we have been crying out for a quality wide man and a deeplying playmaker for a long time,neither has been purchased.

I meant over Mancini's reign we've generally got the players we need. As for the targets you mention I guess I agree, however those problems have been identified just not fulfilled (Hazard/DDR). They will in time though.

FantasyIreland said:
Goo said:
[

Are you fogetting about super Scotty Sinclair?

Goo said:
FantasyIreland said:
Goo said:

I meant over Mancini's reign we've generally got the players we need. As for the targets you mention I guess I agree, however those problems have been identified just not fulfilled (Hazard/DDR). They will in time though.

So because Marwood couldn't get Hazard & DDR we have to buy Garcia and Sinclair ?

There are many better IMO and cheaper than these two but I don't know why City didn't get them.

Tevez City said:
Goo said:
FantasyIreland said:

So because Marwood couldn't get Hazard & DDR we have to buy Garcia and Sinclair ?

There are many better IMO and cheaper than these two but I don't know why City didn't get them.

Well Johnson needed replacing anyway, so his purchase and the Hazard deal aren't exactly 100% connected. As for Garcia, we knew De Jong wasn't going to get the contract he wanted so we needed another enforcer. If he could spray balls like Alonso/De Rossi then all's good, if not, he still has a role in the club.

The problem with this forum is it's so black and white for some people. Transfers and the running of a football club are massively complex, it's not like you just ring up a player and say "how about it then?". Same with tactics, you can't just show a group of players a formation with their names on it and expect the game to play out itself.

Goo said:
Tevez City said:
Goo said:

Well Johnson needed replacing anyway, so his purchase and the Hazard deal aren't exactly 100% connected. As for Garcia, we knew De Jong wasn't going to get the contract he wanted so we needed another enforcer. If he could spray balls like Alonso/De Rossi then all's good, if not, he still has a role in the club.

The problem with this forum is it's so black and white for some people. Transfers and the running of a football club are massively complex, it's not like you just ring up a player and say "how about it then?". Same with tactics, you can't just show a group of players a formation with their names on it and expect the game to play out itself.

Barcelona signed Edgar Davids from Juventus I think within three days as Laporta said in the documentary movie.

Its all about defining the targets & alternatives and also moving fast I think as Mancini said when the reporter asked him about Javi Martinez.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.