Bernard Manning opinons?

Manning was from another era. I bet the majority of people in there late 60's, 70's and 80's are racist.

Was he funny? Yes
Was he outdated? Yes

Bernard was alright,living in M9 we heard whispers all the time that local charities/good causes had benefited from his generosity,but it never made the press.
Regarding his act,Bernard could turn it on and off like a tap.He spotted a gap in the market and made it his own. Look back at stuff like the wheeltappers,the comedians and royal vareity,clean as a whistle.In his early days he was a top quality singer on the circuit.
Had some crackin' nights at the embassy,as did numerous city players.

M9 Blue said:
Bernard was alright,living in M9 we heard whispers all the time that local charities/good causes had benefited from his generosity,but it never made the press.
Regarding his act,Bernard could turn it on and off like a tap.He spotted a gap in the market and made it his own. Look back at stuff like the wheeltappers,the comedians and royal vareity,clean as a whistle.In his early days he was a top quality singer on the circuit.
Had some crackin' nights at the embassy,as did numerous city players.
Loads of folk had plenty of laughs at Bernard Mannings World Famous Embassy Club.

At one point it was so popular that it catered for coach parties from all over the country and you had to book your seats in advance.

Of another era is the best thing I can say.

I saw some videos of him and to be honest I just didn't find any of it funny; he's out of that whole music hall, stream of one liners tradition and I don't think it works very well.

I reckon that's as much to do with the fact that I've not been brought up with that comic tradition (born 1987) as with the fact that, yeah, he was really, really, really racist.

We're all children of our time though. One day people will look back at my generation and criticise for things we take as second nature I'm sure.

A comic legend, not many people have done what he has done. His timing was one of the best i have seen on the comic circuit.

Racist? No not at all. Misunderstood? Definatley. He took the piss out of everyone, he took the piss out of black people, jewish people and scouse people to name a few, the only difference was everyone laughed at the scouse jokes but called him a racist for the black and jewish jokes.

A racist to me is someone who hates another race or culture, Bernard was never like that, he took the piss out of them to make people of all races laugh. The man has also raised thousands and thousands for Charities. No one ever talks about the time he paid for a young terminally ill indian lad to go to Disney Land in Florida and insisted it never got out to the media, if he really was a racist would he have done that?

Bernard was just a bit misunderstood, thats all....

In his pomp l found him very funny but his material hasn't aged very well and his act became stale and dated.

He then became an easy target for the outrage mob and other sensitive souls who jumped on the bandwagon.

Carling said:
can of worms

close this thread

Why??
Its a debate dont get touchy he may been racist but arnt most people you cant tell me when down pub with the lads you dont enjoy a good racist joke!

TOUCHY? I posted previously about Bernard Manning in a positive way, perhaps you should read the whole thread...

I am just sick of reading nasty shite about him. Wanted the thread closed as it is a can of worms racism and only gets people posting angry comments. Generations feel differently about what some perceive as just a laugh and a joke at someone elses expense. It seems to me that it's ok to make jokes about your own race/religion or white people in general but woe betide anything else. Perhaps we should all respect each other? Hang on this is a football forum. That wouldn't do at all.

RIP Bernard a (blue) BLUE

mancityvstoke said:
Carling said:
can of worms

close this thread

Why??
Its a debate dont get touchy he may been racist but arnt most people you cant tell me when down pub with the lads you dont enjoy a good racist joke!

TOUCHY? I posted previously about Bernard Manning in a positive way, perhaps you should read the whole thread...

I am just sick of reading nasty shite about him. Wanted the thread closed as it is a can of worms racism and only gets people posting angry comments. Generations feel differently about what some perceive as just a laugh and a joke at someone elses expense. It seems to me that it's ok to make jokes about your own race/religion or white people in general but woe betide anything else. Perhaps we should all respect each other? Hang on this is a football forum. That wouldn't do at all.

RIP Bernard a (blue) BLUE
Hes great i like him my thread was postive about him!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.