Bernardo Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Best and most effective player at the club for me and even more so when KDB has has his spells out with injury.

And again for me a player who deserves to be financially rewarded for his efforts, we have given players in this squad new contracts and big pay rises, Bernardo Silva should be one if not the most rewarded player in this squad, no one deserves better.
I still maintain that Bernardo seems more effective without KDB playing. It wasn't as evident last season, but definitely was in previous seasons.

I still maintain that Bernardo seems more effective without KDB playing. It wasn't as evident last season, but definitely was in previous seasons.

This might be an outdated view, to be fair. It's taken him to evolve from a winger to an attacking midfielder to a box to box player but he fully nailed down his role last season.

I think when Kev doesn't play, there will be more reliance on Bernardo in the final third and he'll probably catch the eye more because he has the ability to do that but that doesn't make him more effective; it's just a bit more glamorous.

Much better? No way, Bernardo is a fantastic player, not many in his class in world football.
I like Bernardo a lot but for me there is a large difference between the two players best forms. I personally wish Bernardo was more aggressive in the final third. I think he’s got the skills to create goals the way KDB can he just doesn’t very often. Not sure why.

This might be an outdated view, to be fair. It's taken him to evolve from a winger to an attacking midfielder to a box to box player but he fully nailed down his role last season.

I think when Kev doesn't play, there will be more reliance on Bernardo in the final third and he'll probably catch the eye more because he has the ability to do that but that doesn't make him more effective; it's just a bit more glamorous.
I'm not just talking at the top end of the field, I'm talking Bernardo's overall contribution across the midfield.

Granted, it might have seemed less obvious last season because Bernardo was first choice alongside KDB, but when Bernardo/KDB/Gundog was discussed a few seasons ago, many (including me) were stunned to find we had a higher win rate, without KDB than with.

It'd never occurred to me before that & no one was suggesting we ditch King Kev, but the first I noticed how KDB seemed to affect Bernardo's effectiveness was that season when he was out around Xmas for a couple of months.

We'd been a bit up & down that season up to that point, but things seemed to click with Sterling as captain when Fernandinho didn't play & Bernardo partnering Gundog. We went on a 7 game winning run & were looking superb up to the derby.

KDB was fit again, Bernardo was dropped & King Kev returned to the starting line-up but was totally ineffective as we lost 0-2 iirc. Bernardo came on with a face looking like a smacked arse for a knackered KDB, but the damage was done.

Bernardo's form dipped & Sterling's form fell off a cliff too & Raz never returned to those consistent levels for us again. It's a puzzle that hopefully Pep has solved with our transfer business this summer.

I'm not just talking at the top end of the field, I'm talking Bernardo's overall contribution across the midfield.

Granted, it might have seemed less obvious last season because Bernardo was first choice alongside KDB, but when Bernardo/KDB/Gundog was discussed a few seasons ago, many (including me) were stunned to find we had a higher win rate, without KDB than with.

It'd never occurred to me before that & no one was suggesting we ditch King Kev, but the first I noticed how KDB seemed to affect Bernardo's effectiveness was that season when he was out around Xmas for a couple of months.

We'd been a bit up & down that season up to that point, but things seemed to click with Sterling as captain when Fernandinho didn't play & Bernardo partnering Gundog. We went on a 7 game winning run & were looking superb up to the derby.

KDB was fit again, Bernardo was dropped & King Kev returned to the starting line-up but was totally ineffective as we lost 0-2 iirc. Bernardo came on with a face looking like a smacked arse for a knackered KDB, but the damage was done.

Bernardo's form dipped & Sterling's form fell off a cliff too & Raz never returned to those consistent levels for us again. It's a puzzle that hopefully Pep has solved with our transfer business this summer.

This is what I mean though. All that evidence is from a few seasons ago. Last season Bernardo had his best campaign for us and Kev was up there as well, especially towards the end.

I think both Gundogan and Bernardo compliment Kev perfectly but in different ways just as well as they compliment each other.

I like Bernardo a lot but for me there is a large difference between the two players best forms. I personally wish Bernardo was more aggressive in the final third. I think he’s got the skills to create goals the way KDB can he just doesn’t very often. Not sure why.
KDB takes risks with the ball, Bernardo doesn't. That's why it works.

Quite clearly in my opinion each player has to give up a little something of their own individual talent so that the team performs to its maximum under Peps systems. City are about team performance not individuals. If the system allows certain individuals to shine more than others than that is a bonus.

Gabby Jesus at Arsenal is proving that point as now he has been given his head at the Emirates, hes performing individually at a level we all knew he was capable of. Most of the fans of other Premier League teams are surprised at his quality - but we've been telling them for over 2 years how good he is they just didn't believe it - now they do. Quelle surprise.

Its a calculated risk by Pep and the management team that whatever quality he gives them it will not be enough to overcome us and our system patterns of play over a season. Similar with Raz at Chelsea in this respect.

I see lots of other fans commenting that we are somehow weaker with the players we have let go. Although I admit we have lost pace out wide with Sterlings sale we now have pace down the centre and a focal point so am not sure we will suffer any overall team detriment.

I also believe Pep likes to change things regarding set up and approach, not the necessarily the build up method but the way we achieve the end goals (no pun intended). Teams have become used to us playing with a false 9 and found ways to counter it effectively. Now we have changed and they will have to come up with something else. It's all about evolution not revolution. We will see if its a successful evolution later in the season but the signs are positive so far.

No real big tests so far but the Newcastle game will be interesting to see their approach. Eddie loves a back 5 against us and trying to lump it forward quickly for the headless chicken Almiron to chase or quick transitions from turnover through the Rolex benefactor. Will he go 3 up front with Almiron, Saint-Maximin, Wilson Line up versus Forest or will we get more of the usual Line up v MCFC 2021 Won't be the same personnel as they've upgraded with Botman in the back 4 and Guimaraes in midfield. Their squad comprise 30 to our 25 including 4 kids. They've tried 5-3-2, 4-5-1 and 4-3-3 against us last 3 times out with a score overall of 13 - 3 losing all 3.

Interesting we've only ever lost 7 times in our history at St James' 1 at home (44 Games total) winning 28 in total last time being the Fernandinho faux pas giving away a Michael Oliver penalty i.e the type we never get for similar actions against our players. We dispatched them twice last season 0-4 and 5-0. I don't expect so many goals but I do expect us to win. Here's hoping the horse punchers gee them up (that was intended) so they attack us and we can pull their trousers down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.