best ever away day

Strangely I rate the last game of last season as one of the best.

I know we lost 8-1 but in my eyes it summed up City fans and the fact we can laugh at what is hapening in front of us. I remember losing complete interest after about 4 goals and just signing my heart out...then celebrating all their goals with my 5 and a half foot inflatable banana!!

It was all going well until the copper (rag) starting causing trouble!!

west brom away 1988 and the terrace battle of the giant inflatables, godzilla versus frankenstein(?). they were at opposite sides of the away stand with a million bananas in between (and bizarrely an inhabited paddling pool, it's occupant being passed lazarus-like above the crowd's heads). But once they spotted one another the two protagonists inched slowly and inexorably toward the middle, the tension mounting as the whole stadium clocked the impending rumble and the murmur of anticipation gradually increasing in volume to unbridled hysteria as they converged and beat the holy fuck out of each other for a good five minutes.

It was surreal and hilarious to watch in full panoramic view from the home end opposite where i was and brought all fans together. people either pissed themselves or died of laughter. only at man. city could this happen.

Poves said:
Strangely I rate the last game of last season as one of the best.

I know we lost 8-1 but in my eyes it summed up City fans and the fact we can laugh at what is hapening in front of us. I remember losing complete interest after about 4 goals and just signing my heart out...then celebrating all their goals with my 5 and a half foot inflatable banana!!

It was all going well until the copper (rag) starting causing trouble!!

I agree last years atmosphere was strangely entertaining. Singing the Sven chant repeatedly, Drove home with Chelsea Dagger stuck in my head though.

Blackburn 2000 was one of best (even though i only got in th ground after the final whistle)

But had a great day out at Spuds, when it was Pearce's first game.

Remember Reyner scoring just befor half time, and City started singing "When the Blues go marching in", then when there was no beer at half time, about 2,500 blues, still sat in their seats, carrying the chant on (In the seats, not under the stand) all the way through half time, into the second half.

Spuds fans hadn't seen anything like it.

Of course we lost, but still remember the day fondly.

When we won 5-1 at Villa and David White scored four. I took a mate who had never been to a match before, all the City fans beeping their horns at each other all the way back home.

Also managed to get tickets for the swamp off my brother who works there (the shame) sat with the home fans. It was the one were we drew 1-1 but had a legit winner disallowed. We sat on our hands when the first went in, were up on our feet for the winner before we thought about it but obviously quickly sat down again !

Don't really get to away games now but used to love it, other highlights a 4-2 win at Oxford that if memory serves me right we were losing 2-0 and the game at Walsall when Gleghorn went in nets.

Back in the late-70's(?) at Bradford City needing a point for promotion so long as Crystal Palace didn't win heavily. Was in the Bradford end with my father-in-law. Trevor Morley got our goal in a 1-1 draw. The Tykes were spreading rumours that Palace were 5-0 up, but the bastards were lying. On the walk home to the in-laws I heard that we were promoted. Magic days. Another great one was our 1-0 win at WBA in the FA Cup a few years earlier. It was snowing that day and, after we scored, Dave Watson and Mike Doyle spent half of the game passing back to Joe Corrigan. Boring for the neutral but great for City.

Wembley vs Gillingham.

Flew in from USA overnight Friday on a full airplane, so had to sit in the cockpit all night, not a wink of sleep, got to Lancaster Gate hotel, lay on bed, but the pre-match was all over the telly and too excited to sleep, when I couldn't stand it any longer got on the Tube and went to Wembley, walked around for about an hour, met my brother, walked up Wembley Way and into the ground, had great seats, was absolutely knackered and distraught with a few minutes to go and asked my brother if he wanted to leave a minute early so I could get on the tube. He said "NO!" THANK GOD (and I usually NEVER LEAVE EARLY, EVER!) and we spent the next few minutes in ecstasy! Sang until we were hoarse and finally left the ground, got on the Tube back to the hotel, and they were showing the game again on TV, so I watched the whole thing again, went out for a few pints around the corner and sat outside the pub in my City shirt and scarf with a big stupid grin on my face, getting thumbs up, cheers and the like for a few hours. Went back to the hotel, watched the highlights on telly AGAIN and finally fell asleep fully clothed and exhausted. Alarm went off a few hours later, off to Heathrow for flight back to States. Flight full AGAIN, so have to sit bolt upright in cockpit AGAIN for 9 hours! Crew says, "Aren't you the fella who flew in with us, or was that last week?" I say "NO, I just came for a football match!" They look at me like I have a dick sticking out of the top of my head, shake their heads and proceed to tell me how crazy I am, all the while I STILL have a daft grin on my face! I put in a pair of earplugs, strap myself in for taxi out and don't remember anything else until we land in Chicago 9 hours later!

Left on Friday night, home by Sunday Lunch. Best 42 hour "away day" I have ever done!

See you all for the Fulham game (which looks like it might be a Sunday match since we may have a Euro game midweek!)

Cheers!

anyone remember us beating villa away the day strangeways went up? not won away for months. we filled our end and had loads down the sides.

oldham away on "bad" good friday when city rioted

stoke away when we both went down was quite memorable

and of course blackburn, wembley, lokeren, schalke

As many have said, Blackburn 2000 takes some beating for me, as an all-round experience.

We had booked 4 places on the corporate trip from City months before, because we instinctively suspected tickets were going to be gold dust.

So we started that morning about 9am with full English and pints in the Kippax executive lounge. Luxury coach to Ewood. We met our mates outside the Fernhirst where there was a full-on City party going on. The game we all remember and the sight of thousands upon thousands of City in their end was incredible. Of course we all danced on the pitch after that thrilling finale.

Then we had a sing song on the coach back to Maine Road. When we arrived there loads of fans had congregated and they clearly thought we were the team as they mobbed us. What a laugh. As we got off the coach we saw and chatted to Johnny Marr. We went into the hospitality lounge where there was more food and beer, then we got a taxi up to Didsbury. Every pub on the way was mobbed outside with celebrating Blues and we had our heads out iof the taxi waving a City flag, drinking champers. Didsbury that afternoon and night was an absolute party.

I remember huge congas going from pub to pub and stopping the traffic. Much later that night the band playing in the Irish pub played Hey Jude but hundreds and hundreds in the streets and beer gardens were singing "City" version which the singer took up.

That long glorious day ended up back at my flat, extremely late, smoking, drinking and watching the video until 3 in the morning.

A memerorable day from start to finish. I was so euphoric I took two days off work, supposedly sick, just basking in it.

Now that's how to celebrate promotion...

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.