Best pound for pound boxer in your lifetime?

de niro said:
LongsightM13 said:
With terrestrial TV as well. Fighters like the great JC Chavez, Whittaker, Carbajal, Holmes, as well as home grown stars like Benn, Watson, Eubank, Honeyghan, McGuigan, Lang, Sibson etc were all free to watch at convenient times. Even Fight Night on ITV regularly showed some small hall classics

loved watching mcguigan, how good though was pedrosa that night, barry won but he was immense in my eyes.

Pedrosa was a good champion, McGiugan was good v Laporte (think he died fairly recently).

No ones mentioned Mugabi...a strong middle...no wonder they all wanted clear of him.

jamiegrimble said:
LongsightM13 said:
With terrestrial TV as well. Fighters like the great JC Chavez, Whittaker, Carbajal, Holmes, as well as home grown stars like Benn, Watson, Eubank, Honeyghan, McGuigan, Lang, Sibson etc were all free to watch at convenient times. Even Fight Night on ITV regularly showed some small hall classics
I would add John Conteh,to the home grown stars.
Absolutely. He was world class. Also enjoyed lesser names like Dennis Andries, Dave MacAuley, Neville Brown, Nick Wilshere, Gary Jacobs, Mark Kaylor, all up for a good scrap

Adam Donnelly said:
Cant believe nobody has mentioned Julio Cesar Chaves Also love Duran. Big fan of most latin fighters
Mentioned the great Chavez on page 4 Adam! There's a great documentary on DVD called JC Chavez available. His son is the most protected fighter in America though

LongsightM13 said:
jamiegrimble said:
I would add John Conteh,to the home grown stars.
Absolutely. He was world class. Also enjoyed lesser names like Dennis Andries, Dave MacAuley, Neville Brown, Nick Wilshere, Gary Jacobs, Mark Kaylor, all up for a good scrap
Shall we forget Dave Boy Green?The Carrot Picker.;)

Special mention to JC Chavez although he should have retired before he did. Forget about Tyson; vastly overrated because of his knockout ability. Bonecrusher Smith would have taken care of him if he had attacked earlier. I have to mention Pacquiao in the list because the man is stunning, and I believe he will do Mayweather. I also have sentiment for Calzaghe as he couldbe a much bigger name if it wasn't for his management ruining him and boxing .

Ultimately, SPEED KILLS.Greatest boxer has to be Roy Jones. Ya'll must've forgot how good he actually was. Nobody I have seen could hit with such speed and power for 12 rounds. He should have retired when he beat Ruiz. Long live the king.

LongsightM13 said:
Adam Donnelly said:
Cant believe nobody has mentioned Julio Cesar Chaves Also love Duran. Big fan of most latin fighters
Mentioned the great Chavez on page 4 Adam! There's a great documentary on DVD called JC Chavez available. His son is the most protected fighter in America though

Was thinking of getting that DVD but I heard it gets a bit political or sumat.
So its good then??

I dont have time to go thru this thread right now. Having spent my first 35 years very close to the fight game this thread greatly interests me. Anyone whoi mentions Tyson doesnt have a clue-end of. Off the top of my head I would have to say Duran at 135 lbs was probably the best I have seen. JC Chavez at 140 was up there as was Sugar Ray Leonard at 147. If you are under 45, then you never saw the true grit and brilliance of Duran at 135. Not only was he a relentless, ruthless animal, he could also box.

Mayweather, great technician.

Calzaghe was great to watch but I agree about the fights not coming soon enough in his career.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.