Big News Soon...

A A

Anonymous

'Big news soon' says regeneration chief

23rd October 2009

By Chris Barry - Editor

THE boss of the regeneration company for East Manchester is confident that several major investment deals will be revealed in the next few months.

Eddie Smith, chief executive of the New East Manchester urban regeneration company told TheBusinessDesk the "very significant announcements" centred around SportCity.

He spoke too, in glowing terms, of the organisation's relationship with the new Middle Easter owners of Manchester City - the occupiers of the City of Manchester Stadium at SportCity.

There has been speculation that the football club, owned since 2008 by Abu Dhabi's billionaire Sheikh Mansour, want to build a new training facility near the stadium, while there are also separate proposals for a major visitor attraction at SportCity.

Mr Smith said: "There are some very significant announcements that we are hoping to make towards the back end of this year, around SportCity.

"The takeover of the football club is probably the biggest development of the last 50 years or so.When the history of this city is written, the takeover will have a fairly significant page with regard to East Manchester and beyond."

He said there was close dialogue with Manchester City's senior management: "We're working very closely with them, we've got to respect their key priorities which have obviously been getting the right senior management team and of course investing in the playing squad.

"We are seeing a new chapter being written in City's history and I think the new owners will deliver on their intention to become a world player in football. I have seen the measure of their intent."

The club's chief executive Garry Cook has joined the board of New East Manchester, and there has already been co-operation on several community schemes involving education and employment.

Mr Smith also said the extension of the Metrolink system to East Manchester is proving to be a key driver of regeneration, and was encouraging developers to move ahead with schemes, such as the ambitious Holt Town project, which have been affected by the recession.

"We have gone through a very, very difficult 18 months and have sustained momentum and kept investment coming in. The Metrolink investment has been vital to maintaining this momentum."

He said there were signs it is proving to be a catalyst for other developments to restart: "Holt Town is obviously inexorably linked to the residential property market and accessing credit and finance to move it forward has been very difficult, so the project has slowed down.

"In recent discussions with Cibitas (the developer) there have been positive signals that Metrolink has reinvigorated confidence and they are now prepared to move forward with some of the early phases of the development."

Good good. Can't wait for the metro link to be sorted. And if this training complex comes off it will be mint. I reckon there will be huge changes to the site in the next couple of years and a few surprises in store as well.

GoForGlory said:
New Maine Road, 80,000 seats! :) If we build it - they will come. :D

No way, I was just about to say 'build it and they will come'.

So instead I'll settle for: this is our city! Woohoo.

Exciting stuff.

Hopefully when the plans are announced the british media will start to really take us seriously.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.