blind faith

He played with the same formation against Portsmouth and it obviously didn't work so why do it again?

We need to play with 2 wingers it is our biggest strength.

I really don't understand when we were loosing he took Bellamy of for Viera. I would have taken De Jong off.

Lets see on Tuesday if he has learnt from this.

My team for Tuesday night would be :

----------------------------------Given---------------------------------

Zabaleta-----------------Toure---------------Onouha--------------Bridge

Johnson------------------Viera-----------------Barry--------------Bellamy

-------------------------Tevez----------------Adebayor-----------------

BillyShears said:
but can anyone else think of a reason other than price tag, for why Ade and Tevez are continually played together by both manager's we've had this season, when it seems apparent to most laymen that they can't play together.

I wonder what our record is like with Tevez and Adebayor playing together. I would have thought pretty good.

BillyShears said:
Soulboy said:
Do you want me to give you an answer based on his first 8 games... or his next 4?

That's the problem with your point. You are being selective. Yesterday was shite. Let's not pretend otherwise. And the last few games we've loked tired and in need of fresh inpiration.

But he tried to put it right in the transfer window and failed to get his targets in. His fault? Or the management of the club...

Let me stop you there. The signing of Gago or Mariga wouldn't have changed the shape of yesterday's match, or the tactics. It would've been exactly the same, with one of those two playing in place of either Ireland or Barry...

His first 8 games we defended superbly, we attacked and scored regularly... and we WON games. Even that crap performance against the Rags at home and Pompey saw us win.

You'll find that the system/s employed by Mancini early on were out of necessity. What we're seeing now is the way he actually wants the team to be lining up long term.

He's brought a couple of kids through (Boyata and Inbrahim) at a time when we were up to 6 first team players down... he's transformed Tevez for that 8 game period... and I feel he may have to go back to that formation.

Tevez had regained his fitness and was becoming deadly towards the end of Hughes' reign. The problem is when he's played with alongside Ade...

I was entertained in those first 8 games, something i wasn't before then... even though we were scoring goals it was like watching It's a Knockout such was the amateurish approach being taken.

So after 12 games in charge it's a mixed bag. Good first 8, crappier next 4. Let's see how the next 4 go before we bury him, eh?

Knee Jerkers of the World... Unite and Take Over...

I don't understand why it is that Mancini should suddenly be afforded some sort of bluemoon amnesty where his decisions, some of which are frankly baffling, cannot be questioned. He's obviously a nice guy, and his record says he's a top class coach, but that doesn't change the fact that on the face of it he is making some almighty cock ups in team selection and formation choice.

I asked this in another thread but nobody seems to want to acknowledge it - I guess because we're now talking about Mancini and not Hughes, but can anyone else think of a reason other than price tag, for why Ade and Tevez are continually played together by both manager's we've had this season, when it seems apparent to most laymen that they can't play together.

I also don't understand why it is that neither manager seems to want to play to the strengths of the squad we have, and instead constantly stick square pegs in round holes to play systems which they are comfortable with....make no mistakes, what we are seeing NOW is the way Roberto has always set his teams up. 4312. Little width. But we need players with the technique, agility, and engine of Cambiasso, Viera five years ago, and Stankovich to make the system itself work. It's clear that Barry and De Jong simply don't/won't cut it.

Strangely enough, I agree with you.

I think the last 4 games have been crap, poor performances, poor team selection, poor tactics, poor motivation. I actually mentioned the Tevez / Adebayor thing in a separate thread yesterday morning. But I'm prepared to show some patience and faith tha he will rectify this.

But the first 8 games had this messageboard waxing lyrically about Mancini.. so I think it's a bit harsh to demand the manager's head after 4 bad games!

While I was never a Hughes supporter I was willing to give him at least one full season before I expected action against him... he got a bonus half a season on top of that.

My view is that we, at least, give Mancini half a season to suggest what he can do.

A win on Tuesday... we go level top 4... things are not THAT bad surely that we are calling for his head now?

PS We didn't play 4312 yesterday... we played a traditional 442. But it didn't work either way.

fathellensbellend said:
for everyone who has raised doubts about mancini's ability, there have been a number who have shot the arguement down in flames, and slated the doubters, but i have not read one response anywhere where the shape and the team selection can be justified, so i throw down the gauntlet to anyone who can offer up sensible reasoned responses as to what mancini is currently doing with the side, and what the plan is.

lets try and do this without getting personal, and insulting.

In no way am i calling for his head, but he does confuse me sometimes and i have a few worry meself regarding his teams.

Boyata/Onouha- I know he has no choice but to play new players in a proper game but surely Ned should start before Boyata or Zab (at full back) if he's fit.

What is the idea behind having two left wingers on when SWP is on the bench? Andmore worryingly, why is SWP on the bench in the first place?

moomba said:
BillyShears said:
but can anyone else think of a reason other than price tag, for why Ade and Tevez are continually played together by both manager's we've had this season, when it seems apparent to most laymen that they can't play together.

I wonder what our record is like with Tevez and Adebayor playing together. I would have thought pretty good.

Still doesn't mean they can play together - they're two strikers who just don't compliment each other AT ALL, and in fact, are both better suited to playing up top by themselves...

The interesting thing with Mancini is that slowly but surely he is being given more options as players return to fitness and from the ACON, and we are actually getting worse. The last two performances have me worried and I don't mind admitting it.

Soulboy said:
Strangely enough, I agree with you.

I think the last 4 games have been crap, poor performances, poor team selection, poor tactics, poor motivation. I actually mentioned the Tevez / Adebayor thing in a separate thread yesterday morning. But I'm prepared to show some patience and faith tha he will rectify this.

But the first 8 games had this messageboard waxing lyrically about Mancini.. so I think it's a bit harsh to demand the manager's head after 4 bad games!

While I was never a Hughes supporter I was willing to give him at least one full season before I expected action against him... he got a bonus half a season on top of that.

My view is that we, at least, give Mancini half a season to suggest what he can do.

A win on Tuesday... we go level top 4... things are not THAT bad surely that we are calling for his head now?

PS We didn't play 4312 yesterday... we played a traditional 442. But it didn't work either way.

I agree, there's no need to call for his head. However, there's plenty to "discuss", "critique", however you want to phrase it.

We played 442 with Stevie on the right, until AJ and Viera came on. Then we saw the way I predict we will line up against Bolton on Tuesday. 4312, with AJ in the hole, and a sitting three of Viera, De Jong, and Barry or Ireland...

We have a tendancy to start very very slowly and really not improve on that, certainly over the last 4 games or so. We don't seem to have the width or creativity that pre Mancini we did show.
We all want City to be the best and a little entertainment wouldn't go amiss either. Generally our away form is absolute tosh and can't really be explained away.
Two wide men against Bolton would be a start.
It's a bit early to be condemning Mancini but it can be very stodgy at times and whilst there are no easy games in the Premiership we should be able to see the likes of Hull off and that is what makes yesterdays "performance" so disappointing.

moomba said:
de niro said:
how hard is it to see we have no shape whatsoever?

Do you think the way we've played the last two matches is the way Mancini wants us to play?

no, i dont think the players are getting to grip with his instructions, he knows what he wants but have differculty getting accross to the squad.

BillyShears said:
Still doesn't mean they can play together - they're two strikers who just don't compliment each other AT ALL, and in fact, are both better suited to playing up top by themselves...

I'd give it a bit more time yet, they have provided goals for each other and it takes time to work out each others games and how to work together (Tevez didn't have a pre season which wouldn't have helped.

FWIW, I'd rather see a front three with Tevez and Bellamy playing off Adebayor than just the two up front.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.