Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

Glen Phillips ex TTWS ‘Drive By’
supposedly a true story that happened to Ben Folds.

ok - so I'm now intrigued exactly how old Ben Folds was when he was roped into this venture as the driver, I assume sufficiently young that he didn't feel able to say don't be a dick Dad ?

(as we're on Ben Folds, as Shatner is most 'associated' with the Star Trek franchise does that mean something from one of his albums is allowed on in this playlist??)

ok - so I'm now intrigued exactly how old Ben Folds was when he was roped into this venture as the driver, I assume sufficiently young that he didn't feel able to say don't be a dick Dad ?

(as we're on Ben Folds, as Shatner is most 'associated' with the Star Trek franchise does that mean something from one of his albums is allowed on in this playlist??)
Hahaha. Only if it gets put up for consideration on the album thread

Can think of a few who were kicked out of bands early doors to then form their own a la Dave Mustaine but really struggling to think of an established solo artist who did it. Bowie/Tin Machine maybe?
I have one who was in a band then solo then into a different band. I was going to put it on tomorrow to prove I'm not some chilled out hippy

Can think of a few who were kicked out of bands early doors to then form their own a la Dave Mustaine but really struggling to think of an established solo artist who did it. Bowie/Tin Machine maybe?

Yeah I think that's why I used the word established. It'll come to us I'm sure

I have one who was in a band then solo then into a different band. I was going to put it on tomorrow to prove I'm not some chilled out hippy

And then there is Josh Homme, who has been in like 70 different bands or something. I considered nominating something of his, but I imagine people will associate him mostly with QOTSA. But for me, I will allways associate him with Kyuss.

Edit. In fact that whole genre, is so heavily cross fertilised, that I could fill the week with just those artists. Like Brant Bjork, Mark Lanegan, Vista Chino etc.

Bowie wanted to rescue his reputation after 1987's Never Let Me Down and the Glass Spider tour, and this band did it.

I have to reference these quotes off of wiki as I was trying to remember how Tin Machine came together. First is from Bowie:

"I'd never wanted to be in a band until we got together. And as we were getting together, it wasn't really occurring to me that this is what I wanted to do. It took a week or so of actually being in the studio and working, and then I think we fully realized the potential, musically, for what we were doing and wanted to stick with it. I was quite happy to go off and make a solo album. I was quite excited about a couple of things I was doing, which I brought into the band and which were irrevocably changed. But that's the nature of the band."

"Their attitude was kind of, 'He's David Bowie, we're the Sales brothers, who the fuck are you?'" —Reeves Gabrels, on how the group bonded when they first came together.

Great stuff! ;-)

I'll put up established solo artist Sammy Hagar who joined established band Van Halen to still make it work. I'll take 5150 over anything David Lee Roth was putting out in his fullest self-obsessed Just-A-Gigolo timeframe.

James Gang, Barnstorm, and 3 album soloist Joe Walsh did fine in the Eagles as well, though I won't take some of you too far down that path. You can check out any time you like...

And there are plenty of other examples of bands who didn't make it work with their replacement band members.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.