Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

As we have Colin Hay , Don Fagan and all things mellow I am drawn to a cover version of the Ricky Lee Jones ( check out Flying Cowboys if you are not familiar with it ) , Walter Beckett song Horses sung by Daryl Braithwaite formerly lead singer of Sherbert or the ill fated Highway for those into teen idol pop music in the 70's and early 80's.

Horses is oz's unofficial national anthem now and the lead track on RLJ 89 classic album mentioned.

So I would like to add Horses by Daryl Braithwaite released in 1991 outside oz and maybe Rob (LOL) I don't think many on this forum would have heard of him but you might remember the song written by two very fine songwriters IMO.

Purely from memory and I hate googling to verify I think DB has recorded 7 solo albums.

As we have Colin Hay , Don Fagan and all things mellow I am drawn to a cover version of the Ricky Lee Jones ( check out Flying Cowboys if you are not familiar with it ) , Walter Beckett song Horses sung by Daryl Braithwaite formerly lead singer of Sherbert or the ill fated Highway for those into teen idol pop music in the 70's and early 80's.

Horses is oz's unofficial national anthem now and the lead track on RLJ 89 classic album mentioned.

So I would like to add Horses by Daryl Braithwaite released in 1991 outside oz and maybe Rob (LOL) I don't think many on this forum would have heard of him but you might remember the song written by two very fine songwriters IMO.

Purely from memory and I hate googling to verify I think DB has recorded 7 solo albums.
Never heard of him so I'll look forward to hearing this when I catch up on the playlist.

Decisions decisions:
Go with Morrissey...upset one group of people
Go with Michael McDonald...upset a completely different group of people
Go with Method Man or ODB...upset almost everyone.
Go with Aston Merrygold from JLS...get thread ban.

But as it's @Out on blue 6 's list and as we are keeping it mellow, but I want it to be gently subversive too...

Jenny Lewis - Love Feel

Decisions decisions:

But as it's @Out on blue 6 's list and as we are keeping it mellow, but I want it to be gently subversive too...

Jenny Lewis - Love Feel
Lovely song. Let's get some hip-hop on. I believe there is a skip function

For want of a better name I'm calling this The Associated. The basic premise is artists associated with other bands who released solo or started other bands to release e.g. Noel/Liam will release more solo albums probably but always be associated with Oasis.

First up is Beach Boys drummer, heartthrob of the band and the only member who could surf who somewhat ironically drowned. As a big fan of post Pet Sounds Beach Boys I only can across this through reviews in Mojo/Uncut for this re-release a few years ago. He didn't write much for the band so must have saved them up for his only solo album the great Pacific Ocean Blue. This is the lead off track.

Dennis Wilson - River Song

Gene Clark was an original member of The Byrds who I'm a big fan of and wrote some of their early original songs including Eight Miles High. He left in 66 and went solo releasing a number of albums before releasing No Other in 74. The album was lambasted by critics and a commercial flop but was re-released and re-assessed over the years and is now regarded as a bit of a lost masterpiece. This one sums it up.

Gene Clark - Strength Of Strings

This next one is a bit of a stretch but wanted a female artist on. One time member of sixties inspired girl group The Pipettes (2 top 40 hits) Rose Elinor Dougall has done 3 solo albums but now plies here trade in The Waeve with her now partner Graham Coxon of Blue. They released a great album early last year. This is from her 2nd album Stellular

Rose Elinor Dougall - Closer

Steve Mason is probably my favourite male solo artist. When The Beta Band up 3 members formed The Aliens (3 good albums) and Mason went solo first as King Biscuit Time then a electronic album as Black Affair. He then had the confidence to release under his own name and he's done 4 top albums including last year's Brothers and Sisters. Think is from my favourite of his Monkey Minds In The Devils Mind

Steve Mason - Seen It All Before

Supergrass front man and Planet Of The Apes lookalike Gaz Coombes went solo when the band went on hiatus. He's also done 4 solo albums including last year's standout Turn The Car Around. This is from his previous one Worlds Strongest Man
Gaz Coombes - Wounded Egos

I will probably indulge myself a couple more times in the week and the playlist is on my lads Spotify and I will add as we go along. I'm at City from Tuesday afternoon so may have to update Wednesday.
Hope you enjoy and add

Cheers OTB.
Decisions decisions:

Jenny Lewis - Love Feel
Nice as f'''k TS , haven't heard this one in a while , hard to toss so far despite some decent stuff on the playlist.

Lovely song. Let's get some hip-hop on. I believe there is a skip function

And so it shall be.

Body Count - Bum Rush

We all know of the Rap legend that is Ice T. But what is a lesser known fact is that in the 90s, (like a whole decade before the mainstream rap-metal fusion trend) he was in a heavy metal band, that he is rarely associated with. So here is that.

Late start today due to work obligations.

Been debating what to select all day today, and didn't want to offer up another band lead singer going solo artist.

After a tight 1-0 City win with its missed opportunities for more goals (and yes, I triple captained the Big Guy), I'm in the mood for something upbeat to celebrate what did happen and the needed win with the "Big Man"!

Bruce's right hand E Street Band man on the sax, Clarence Clemons hit it big as a solo artist with a little help from his buddy from LA:

You're A Friend of Mine - Clarence Clemons, Jackson Browne

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.