Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

Stephin Merritt has fingers in a sufficient number of pies that even when he's in theory solo, he's got various members of The Magnetic Fields or his other projects on hand. But this soundtrack song is just him I think.

Stephin Merritt - One April Day

I already hinted this was coming, so this may not surprise some.

Apart from James Mercer's primary indie band The Shins, his collaboration efforts with Danger Mouse as the group Broken Bells has been equally enjoyable and powerful.

Since it is Sunday and I (we?) need a positive outlook on the world, regional, and local news and not letting all the negative going on drag the outlook on life down, this song usually does it for me.

It is especially timely for today after last night's adjacent state and sadly predictable primary results ("The face of evil is on the news tonight"). Despite life's uncertainties, it emphasizes the importance of staying hopeful no matter the circumstances. Take charge as much as you can of your destiny, do what you can do that you can control, and don't succumb to despair. Easier said than done at times, but a good reminder all the same.

This song never made one of their 3 albums, but it has made a heavy rotation with me since it came out in 2019 (heavy pandemic play too) and it is something I often find I need to hear more than I realize.

"Good Luck" - Broken Bells

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who put something up. Hopefully posters find something they like. I'm pretty sure I got everything on and I'd like to put one more on to take it just below 4 hours.
In an unusual move I'm putting one forward from a debut album not out until May.
Beth Gibbons was lead singer in the workshy Portishead. Apart from guest vocals elsewhere including the best song off Kendrick Lamars album she's only done one other full album with one of Talk Talk as Rustin Man. I'm a big fan of this one and as I began it's a nice mellow one.

Beth Gibbons - Floating On A Moment

Thanks to everyone who put something up. Hopefully posters find something they like. I'm pretty sure I got everything on and I'd like to put one more on to take it just below 4 hours.
In an unusual move I'm putting one forward from a debut album not out until May.
Beth Gibbons was lead singer in the workshy Portishead. Apart from guest vocals elsewhere including the best song off Kendrick Lamars album she's only done one other full album with one of Talk Talk as Rustin Man. I'm a big fan of this one and as I began it's a nice mellow one.

Beth Gibbons - Floating On A Moment

A top end to the playlist.

An excellent and very diverse playlist, filled with what I imagine is to most predominantly new/unheard before stuff. It is mostly for me at least, noticeably more than previous themes. Already listened to a lot of it, and a whole week to explore more as well.

Do we then have any volunteers for next Monday? We are back to the start of a round and anyone can go anytime. There is no order, first shout first go.

Think we will try a more reduced format though, as a few have noted that on average 70 songs a fortnight is a lot to get through or meaningfully take in.

Per Rob's suggestion, lets try:
- whoever sets the theme opens with 5 songs.
- everyone else contributes up to 3 during the first week, still one a day.
- whoever set it can close with a song should they wish to, once they see how the week has gone.
- second week gives time to listen what might end up beind 20-25 songs.

Might force us to be more selective. There may be days when nothing happens, nobody adds anything. Might find ourselves listening to the songs more, giving them more time. I would still encourage discussion and mentioning of other songs we think are pertinent to the theme and chat, as recommendations or comparisons for others to try in their own time. Which has been happening already. They don't get added to the playlist, but are there for anyone interested enough to try for themselves. If it turns out that we miss the volume of it or the routine of a daily rummage through our collections, we can agree to go back to that in another round, but lets give this a meaningful go and see.

I'm on a 5+ hour flight to Seattle, so the playlist not being long enough may require me to listen to some repeats or give Some Girls another go... think I'll stick with the playlist. ;-)

(btw, Delta wifi rocks)

I'm really enjoying the vast amount of new songs I've not heard before, which is great as @Coatigan had noted.

The good news is I land in time to get to a British pub for a proper lunch and a pint or two to catch today's FA Cup match at noon PT.

I don't ever envy those on the west coast having to struggle to catch a 12:30pm BT match at 4:30am PT. Thankfully none of those going on this midweek. Cheers from 10km above Iowa.

Anyone tempted for Monday?

Doesn't matter how recently or long ago you last went, new round, new order.

Just listened to that. Got some At The Drive-In in it and it's actually not long enough. I may well explore further at some point

You had a chance to look more into this? It is such a good album, particularly the second half. It is a bit of a one off.

Less for you perhaps and more for a few on the album thread, but he latest Colin Hay album Now and the Evermore is very good too. I noticed it come out last year and gave it a listen, but then got distracted and kinda forgot about it. This week reminded me to go back, lots of good songs on it. Conventional and possibly predictable, but works.

It is a really nice mood playlist this, easy going with only the odd bit of intensity to break it up here and there.

You had a chance to look more into this? It is such a good album, particularly the second half. It is a bit of a one off.

Less for you perhaps and more for a few on the album thread, but he latest Colin Hay album Now and the Evermore is very good too. I noticed it come out last year and gave it a listen, but then got distracted and kinda forgot about it. This week reminded me to go back, lots of good songs on it. Conventional and possibly predictable, but works.

It is a really nice mood playlist this, easy going with only the odd bit of intensity to break it up here and there.
Not yet but will. Had a load of new stuff this weekend so am getting through those first. Haven't even got to the Idles album yet

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.