Blue Moon Playlist Review Club - Season 2 - Episode 24 - RobMCFC – Primary and Secondary Colours (pg 412)

My favourite ballad. A superb vocal performance, haunting strings (or maybe it’s just a synth), sparse guitar with just the right notes and spaces, a moody atmospheric video shot in Prague (I walked past the location of the sax solo in the video a couple of years ago).

Most importantly, this has been covered so many times and murdered in every one of them because the original will never be bettered.

“Never Tear Us Apart” - INXS

Due to the fact that you can only now choose 3 songs to form this playlist I thought I'd make it a bit all encompassing. So with that in mind I've chosen a rather vast and unwieldy subject to make a rather smaller and less unwieldy list. If that makes sense.

Love.

wanting, fulfilled or fallen out of...it's your choice. Just make it surprising, beautiful and above all interesting. Or none of these!

Kaleo - I Can't Go On Without You

You might remember these lovely Icelandic bluesters from previous lists. A lament about losing love and trying to deal with it.

Thunder - When Love Walked In

Much unappreciated English rockers who were/ are fantastic in concert. This song was going to be our first dance at our wedding but sadly in those pre internet days DJ's didn't have it, or I forgot to bring the CD with me...this lead to dancing to Wet Wet Wet. The shame of it all.

Talk Talk - I Don't Believe In You

My favourite song from one of my favourite albums. As with all of Mr Hollis's compositions it's hauntingly beautiful.

Y&T - Forever

Another under appreciated band, all hair rock and sometimes of age questionable lyrics. This has a soaring chorus and some fantastic guitar work. If I had hair I'd be windmilling until my neck hurt which is approximately 20 seconds.

ABC - All Of My Heart

Another song from one of my favourite albums. This has some of my favourite lyrics ever. A great pop song which, with the help of some fantastic Trevor Horn production, captured my teenage angst perfectly. Even if I was all hard and never showed emotion if a girl dumped me.

Now if someone could pop up a Spotify playlist I'd be most grateful.

Y&T, not a band I’d have expected, but one I like.

All of today's songs should be there in the playlist now. Sorry for any delays as I wasn't able to do much earlier today outside of work after setting things up over lunch.

I'll take one of my three strikes at the bat today. I already had two in mind after first seeing the theme, one song among the best I've heard, and another is a pretty funny take on love from my childhood.

I figured I'd save the humour for another day and just start with one that probably many know, but it still gets me, even in listening to it today. I guess I just need to claim it first, as @threespires correctly noted many of these would probably be personal.

This song was the album finale to U2's mix of live/studio songs in 1989's Rattle and Hum. I remember seeing this movie in the theatre in college with my then girlfriend, in two years later, my wife. That time and that album brings back lots of memories.

Benmont Tench from Tom Petty's Heartbreakers adds the keyboards, and Van Dyke Parks who collaborated with the Beach Boys, Little Feat, Randy Newman, and many others, adds in the striking strings heard throughout, and especially at the end. And Edge of course sure can play that gee-tar!

"All I Want Is You" - U2

This song was the album finale to U2's mix of live/studio songs in 1989's Rattle and Hum. I remember seeing this movie in the theatre in college with my then girlfriend, in two years later, my wife. That time and that album brings back lots of memories.
1988 - October I think.

I know because I'm not a big U2 fan, but that is the only album of theirs that I bought.

Bad theme to go down to three on !!

When we got married the guest place names were actually CDs which had one of three sets of love songs depending on the age/musical proclivities of the guest in question. Each of the three sets started with a version of Blue Moon, which is of course in itself a great love song.

While Mrs Spires chose dining linen and flower arrangements I busied myself trying to curate three lists that worked together and reflected our collective and individual tastes. Looking back, out of the 60+ tracks across the three discs I'm comfortable that 90% have stood the test of time.

However, I have to admit we were probably quite tired and emotional when we made the decision to put Huey Morgan singing Fly Me To The Moon on one of them!!

Will have to have a listen and decide if any of them will make my two remaining picks.

i think without the 3 track rule this would be by far the longest playlist,I’ve got a long list already which I need to take my final sections from.
Bad theme to go down to three on !!

When we got married the guest place names were actually CDs which had one of three sets of love songs depending on the age/musical proclivities of the guest in question. Each of the three sets started with a version of Blue Moon, which is of course in itself a great love song.

While Mrs Spires chose dining linen and flower arrangements I busied myself trying to curate three lists that worked together and reflected our collective and individual tastes. Looking back, out of the 60+ tracks across the three discs I'm comfortable that 90% have stood the test of time.

However, I have to admit we were probably quite tired and emotional when we made the decision to put Huey Morgan singing Fly Me To The Moon on one of them!!

Will have to have a listen and decide if any of them will make my two remaining picks.

Bit late to the party in this one - apologies.
I was going to go full on soppy and have our wedding dance 36 years ago. It seems however that Get Your Feet Out Of My Shoes by The Boothill Foottappers, may not be on Spotify.
If not, I will revert to one of my all time favourite tunes… Since I’ve Been Loving You by the mighty Zepp

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.