Bluemoon Angling Thread

Ever try pike fishing at Thrapston gravel pits?

No mate. Work commitments mean I don't get out as much as I would like. I was an Ireland fanatic for more than 35 years, but now its the river for bream in the summer, barbel in the winter and carp puddles thrown in every now and then.

Not long back from a 03. 30 start with my mate on our local river after 4 nights of pre-baiting. Had 70 bream between us. 80% bream and 20% good skimmers. A number of the bream in the 7/8lb range. Totaleestimated weight around 280lb. Really, really odd thing is we caught mainly on worm and a few on corn. 9 hours fishing so 18 in total and not one single Perch, roach or rudd between us!!!!

Proper old school. You don’t meet bream anglers any more.

25-30 years ago we used to go to Ireland every summer and fish in the same way, even through the night if it was hot. I loved it. Haven’t caught a bream on purpose in 25 years.

Im avoiding the rivers for a while. I’ve seen pictures and the barbel rivers are packed to the rafters. Hardly any will be caught.

On another note, it’s the 40 year anniversary or possibly the most famous capture of all time: Chris Yates’ 51lb record fish, “The Bishop”, caught from Redmire.

25-30 years ago we used to go to Ireland every summer and fish in the same way, even through the night if it was hot. I loved it. Haven’t caught a bream on purpose in 25 years.

Im avoiding the rivers for a while. I’ve seen pictures and the barbel rivers are packed to the rafters. Hardly any will be caught.

On another note, it’s the 40 year anniversary or possibly the most famous capture of all time: Chris Yates’ 51lb record fish, “The Bishop”, caught from Redmire.

Cheers DD. Newman is on the Wye as we speak. I have DM'd him to see how he is getting on.

I agree DD, bream anglers are dying out mate. Never did fish Ireland in its heyday but have caught plenty of big bags in England. Foulridge reservoir was one of my fave big bream venues, not fished it in about 10 years. Still got all my ledger/feeder rods and have no excuse not to go on there again.

Went to the tackle shop last week, spent £60 on a few bits, pellets and groundbait. Not been on the bank fishing yet though, although I've been and watched my mates pole fishing a club match. Not my favourite style, even though bait presentation on the pole is second to none.

I'm starting off fishing on Thursday, a day on the Wye and a couple of small pools fished for tench carp and roach hopefully.

And I'll start fishing my club waters next week. One of the waters is a fairly large bleak and featureless looking reservoir not far from Saddleworth junction of M62. I've fished it years ago and it's a rock hard water to suss but contains some decent carp bream and pike. Can blow a hooley on there even in summer. Another water I'll target is relatively unknown water in that my club only acquired the fishing rights a few years ago. It contains at least two sturgeon to about 20lb, carp bream tench chub and barbel. It's hardly ever fished so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can catch on there.

Wow, 40 years ago since Chris Yates smashed the carp record with a magnificent 51lb mirror. Some thought Dick Walker's fully scaled 44lb common 'Clarissa' would never be beaten. Nowadays a 50lb plus carp is not too uncommon over here.

Tight lines all and happy fishing: )

I agree DD, bream anglers are dying out mate. Never did fish Ireland in its heyday but have caught plenty of big bags in England. Foulridge reservoir was one of my fave big bream venues, not fished it in about 10 years. Still got all my ledger/feeder rods and have no excuse not to go on there again.

Went to the tackle shop last week, spent £60 on a few bits, pellets and groundbait. Not been on the bank fishing yet though, although I've been and watched my mates pole fishing a club match. Not my favourite style, even though bait presentation on the pole is second to none.

I'm starting off fishing on Thursday, a day on the Wye and a couple of small pools fished for tench carp and roach hopefully.

And I'll start fishing my club waters next week. One of the waters is a fairly large bleak and featureless looking reservoir not far from Saddleworth junction of M62. I've fished it years ago and it's a rock hard water to suss but contains some decent carp bream and pike. Can blow a hooley on there even in summer. Another water I'll target is relatively unknown water in that my club only acquired the fishing rights a few years ago. It contains at least two sturgeon to about 20lb, carp bream tench chub and barbel. It's hardly ever fished so I'm looking forward to seeing what I can catch on there.

Wow, 40 years ago since Chris Yates smashed the carp record with a magnificent 51lb mirror. Some thought Dick Walker's fully scaled 44lb common 'Clarissa' would never be beaten. Nowadays a 50lb plus carp is not too uncommon over here.

Tight lines all and happy fishing: )

have you joined PA this year? If you’re on about a PA Reservoir near saddleworth I’ve been twice this year already.

I went out lure fishing on the Calder on June 16 and blanked. Took my lads out with whips on a local Res today and caught tons of roach, perch and skimmers.

I’ve got a foot Injury but assuming it’s better will be out barbel fishing on Friday.

have you joined PA this year? If you’re on about a PA Reservoir near saddleworth I’ve been twice this year already.

I went out lure fishing on the Calder on June 16 and blanked. Took my lads out with whips on a local Res today and caught tons of roach, perch and skimmers.

I’ve got a foot Injury but assuming it’s better will be out barbel fishing on Friday.
No but I intend to join Albert waiting list soon mate. Until I join I will concentrate on club and day ticket waters. The ressie isn't an Albert water it's called Dowry and available on a day ticket. It's a tough cookie to crack in bleak surroundings but those kind of waters I get a bit more satisfaction from fishing when I catch as it can be rock hard on there. I've had day's when I haven't even had a bite!

A bit disappointed that the Wye trip has been put back but Snorky said it was chocolate brown today. Hopefully next week it will be well oxygenated and fining off nicely for the barbel and chub to get a proper nose bag on. I'm keeping an eye on my local river as I may do a nighter or two on there when the early season noddy's get back on the carp puddles because they find a river is too challenging and not instant enough success.
I like peace and quiet and I don't mind waiting for big fish; )

Last edited:
Do any of you lot sit there at the side of a river/pond/lake/sea for hours on end when it is pissing down and blowing a gale. I have noticed some that do by the Weaver. WTF is all that about?
I have been guilty of this myself, on that river too,and its at those times that the old angling adage "I will be glad when ive had enough of this" springs to mind.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.