Bluemoon Angling Thread

Never done any coarse fishing apart from a bit of pole fishing with my Dad when I was a youngster, I do a fair bit of sea fishing but always kept it simple, my little lad has this week been pestering for me to take him to do a bit on a lake after seeing some youtube videos so I've promised to get the basics and take him before he starts back at school.

What do I need as far as a rod and reel? I'm thinking keep it traditional and just go for a float setup, I've been through all my sea fishing gear and somewhere over time I've picked up a random John Wilson avon rod (with quiver tips) is this any good for what I want paired with a cheap reel? I'm still going to get the lad a cheap rod and reel either way.

Thanks for any help, it will be much appreciated.

Big question that is hard to answer and quite a lot depends on what's in the lake you intend to take him to.

Starting with what you already have, the John Wilson Avon is a good rod but designed for river work. You could, however, use it as a float rod with the Avon end section (which I think would be really good on a carp commercial) or leger with it using the quiver section. If you are going to buy a float rod anyway, I'd start with a 13ft match rod. Even cheap ones are pretty good these days, same with reels.

I'd ask the tackle shop to recommend a decent cheap all-round reel for starters. You could use it for both float fishing and legering.

Big question that is hard to answer and quite a lot depends on what's in the lake you intend to take him to.

Starting with what you already have, the John Wilson Avon is a good rod but designed for river work. You could, however, use it as a float rod with the Avon end section (which I think would be really good on a carp commercial) or leger with it using the quiver section. If you are going to buy a float rod anyway, I'd start with a 13ft match rod. Even cheap ones are pretty good these days, same with reels.

I'd ask the tackle shop to recommend a decent cheap all-round reel for starters. You could use it for both float fishing and legering.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, much appreciated, I'm just going to take him to this place as it's only 15 mins away, going forwards probably take him on the canal as well if he enjoys it.

Stocks:Carp & ghost carp to 3lb,Koi Carp to 3lb, Rudd, Bream & Roach to 8oz & Ornamentals to 1.5lb

For now im just going to stick to the pleasure fishing lake out of the way of the Pros! I will keep the JW, absolutely no idea where it's come from, it looks brand new so I'm assuming I probably picked it up in a bunch of rods I bought years ago at a carboot so will ask about a suitable reel as you suggest and then look at a match rod and reel. Thank you.

Having a crack on the Welsh Dee for a couple of days.
Currently in a pub near Wrexhole.
I think they play Shrewsbury tomorrow, but all I am seeing is fucking scouse...

And a **** with a 'Sea Shepherd' top has just come in.
This will not end well.

Quick summary of my summer for anyone who is interested. It’s been a summer of biggish fish with no specimens or PBs. I had a campaign on a low stocked park lake, pre baiting in the week and fishing the weekend. Had 3 carp all low doubles, tench and bream to 8lb but no real specimens. I’ve taught my son and Ukrainian lad to lure fish and one had a perch of 1.5lb. My lure and live baiting for perch has been largely unsuccessful but I have caught perch to 2lb on worm. I’ve started to barbel fish a new stretch of a river I haven’t fished for over a decade (The Wharfe) and found a stunning stretxh which seems to be ignored and is producing for me. I’ve had a few and lost a couple but no doubles. Here’s a few pics.IMG_0117.jpegIMG_0117.jpegIMG_0118.jpegIMG_0120.jpegIMG_0121.jpegIMG_0119.jpeg

Last edited:
Quick summary of my summer for anyone who is interested. It’s been a summer of biggish fish with no specimens or PBs. I had a campaign on a low stocked park lake, pre baiting in the week and fishing the weekend. Had 3 carp all low doubles, tench and bream to 8lb but no real specimens. I’ve taught my son and Ukrainian lad to lure fish and one had a perch of 1.5lb. My lure and live baiting for perch has been largely unsuccessful but I have caught perch to 2lb on worm. I’ve started to barbel fish a new stretch of a river I haven’t fished for over a decade (The Wharfe) and found a stunning stretxh which seems to be ignored and is producing for me. I’ve had a few and lost a couple but no doubles. Here’s a few pics.View attachment 131068View attachment 131068View attachment 131067View attachment 131066View attachment 131066View attachment 131065View attachment 131064
'no specimens'!? I'd be chuffed to bits with those bream and perch - carp and barbel not too shabby either.

'no specimens'!? I'd be chuffed to bits with those bream and perch - carp and barbel not too shabby either.
I’m on a constant quest to improve my PBs and haven’t done one for a few years now. Been chasing a big pike and bream for a few years now with no success. It’s not easy in my adopted Yorkshire. Forgot to add these from the spring too. I suppose you could certainly say I’ve had a variety this year.IMG_0123.jpegIMG_0122.jpeg

Up in Alaska at the moment for three days of Ocean fishing, started out yesterday with several halibut, some Rock fish (bass), ling cod and some gray cod for some extra meat. Caught a nice little shark and one guy pulled up a huge Skate Ray. Got lucky with the weather, about to get some breakfast for today’s adventure
IMG_1135.jpeg

Up in Alaska at the moment for three days of Ocean fishing, started out yesterday with several halibut, some Rock fish (bass), ling cod and some gray cod for some extra meat. Caught a nice little shark and one guy pulled up a huge Skate Ray. Got lucky with the weather, about to get some breakfast for today’s adventure
View attachment 131095
Can't see your float?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.