Bluemoon Angling Thread

Well done mate and really good you are prioritising the well being of the fish rather than making sure you land one. That is the sign of a bloody good angler.
I agree mate. Saddens me to see experienced match anglers skull dragging fish in to then lob them in nets as soon as they can because every second counts. Fish welfare is of paramount importance for their wellbeing and our future in the sport. Every fish counts so any novice/beginner reading this i recommend searching YouTube. Lots of sound help and advice to be had on playing and handling fish correctly.

Last edited:
It is amazing on the big English waters like Rutland and Grafham watching the trout attack balls of fry. Both hunter and prey erupting the surface of the water. Gives the gulls a good feed too.

Well, just about thawed out from a day on Rutland fishing from a boat. We fished buzzers and, in my case, I had a "Foam-Arsed Blob" on the end of my line so I could fish what I think they call "washing line" style.

Huge lake and so windy I was still rocking when I got into bed. Hardly saw any sun and it was cold all day. Even though I put on some neoprene chest waders and my winter gear I could have fomr with more.

Anyway, there was plenty of sport which enabled the guide to give me pienty of advice on my technique so, with the wind at my back I could cast well and I learned to lift into the fish rather than striking. All in all a great day and I'll be doing it again soon although, in truth, I prefer rivers.

IMG-20210425-WA0014.jpg

Well, just about thawed out from a day on Rutland fishing from a boat. We fished buzzers and, in my case, I had a "Foam-Arsed Blob" on the end of my line so I could fish what I think they call "washing line" style.

Huge lake and so windy I was still rocking when I got into bed. Hardly saw any sun and it was cold all day. Even though I put on some neoprene chest waders and my winter gear I could have fomr with more.

Anyway, there was plenty of sport which enabled the guide to give me pienty of advice on my technique so, with the wind at my back I could cast well and I learned to lift into the fish rather than striking. All in all a great day and I'll be doing it again soon although, in truth, I prefer rivers.

View attachment 15124
Is that picture from the olden days:)

I blanked yesterday, went to the usual canal, there's a nice cafe and my plan was to fish the canal up until I got to the cafe then head back, when I was nearing the cafe I was ready for a smoke, rod in-between my knees bait in the water whilst I rolled my smoke, lit my ciggies, lifted the rod and a pike lunged out of the water right under my feet, fucking shit it, the people in the cafe and the walkers must of pissed themselves seeing this hunter gatherer shrieking all hands and legs flying in all directions haha, apart from that attack had a small perch that had no right following my lure, another great experience and more lessons learnt, also the bacon and sausage barm was delicious : )

Attachments

• IMG-20210425-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20210425-WA0001.jpeg
    1,017.1 KB · Views: 4
I blanked yesterday, went to the usual canal, there's a nice cafe and my plan was to fish the canal up until I got to the cafe then head back, when I was nearing the cafe I was ready for a smoke, rod in-between my knees bait in the water whilst I rolled my smoke, lit my ciggies, lifted the rod and a pike lunged out of the water right under my feet, fucking shit it, the people in the cafe and the walkers must of pissed themselves seeing this hunter gatherer shrieking all hands and legs flying in all directions haha, apart from that attack had a small perch that had no right following my lure, another great experience and more lessons learnt, also the bacon and sausage barm was delicious : )
The unexpected pike attack is one of the best moments in fishing!

I'm trying hard to do my first youtube video with the theme of me searching for an elusive 3lb perch in the local canals . I've been searching for clues and basically narrowed my search down to one short canal where I keep hearing of big fish including a four pounder. One of the strange things that's happened has been that I've found several dead massive perch, which I took as good signs.

All fucking winter I've walked and fished this canal. Lures, worms and livebaits. I've not even had a pluck. I was tearing my hair out, accumulating hours of footage, and decided just to "double down" on this canal, keep at it, in for a penny in for a pound, and sooner or later I'd win the war of attrition with these mythical monsters.

On Friday evening I got chatting to a barge owner who lives there. He told me that two months ago a gang of Eastern Europeans turned up in the middle of the night, opened the lock gate, drained the whole canal down and netted it of everything.

I've wasted an entire fucking winter, talking to a camera, on an empty canal.

View attachment 15124
Well done if you had good sport. Nothing like a good wave on Rutland to blow away the cobwebs! Last time I was down I was using a brand new boat seat and it was rough as fuck. I made the beginners mistake of sitting on the boat seat whilst crossing the south arm in a real squall. The seats been buggered since with popped rivets and the aluminium bent to buggery. My own fault.

I think that looks like the South arm in your picture but difficult to tell. Do you know where he took you?

If you were using a FAB then it is likely you were fishing washing line and the fish not too deep unless you were fishing a heavy sinking line. Glad you enjoyed it. Certainly my favourite of the big reservoirs although Eyebrook, Grafham and Pitsford are all brilliant too.

My mate is down on Rutland this weekend for three days fishing lucky bugger.

I rolled my smoke, lit my ciggies, lifted the rod and a pike lunged out of the water right under my feet, fucking shit it, the people in the cafe and the walkers must of pissed themselves seeing this hunter gatherer shrieking all hands and legs flying in all directions

I bloody hate it when that happens.

Ranking 13 of the Scariest Movie Monsters — Cinema76

I'm trying hard to do my first youtube video with the theme of me searching for an elusive 3lb perch in the local canals . I've been searching for clues and basically narrowed my search down to one short canal where I keep hearing of big fish including a four pounder. One of the strange things that's happened has been that I've found several dead massive perch, which I took as good signs.

All fucking winter I've walked and fished this canal. Lures, worms and livebaits. I've not even had a pluck. I was tearing my hair out, accumulating hours of footage, and decided just to "double down" on this canal, keep at it, in for a penny in for a pound, and sooner or later I'd win the war of attrition with these mythical monsters.

On Friday evening I got chatting to a barge owner who lives there. He told me that two months ago a gang of Eastern Europeans turned up in the middle of the night, opened the lock gate, drained the whole canal down and netted it of everything.

I've wasted an entire fucking winter, talking to a camera, on an empty canal.
Similar on some previously good canal stretches here, even with no fishing signs in several languages. Not sure what the answer is - genuine cultural difference with regards to fishing and they think we are nuts putting them back. Having said that, theft is theft....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.