Borussia Dortmund (H) Post-Match Thread

As covered by others, two great goals (and an average keeper) helped us over the line.

We are still trying to find our rhythm and tempo, which isn't helped by a few players being out of form / off the pace.

I'm not sure it's ever a good idea to have the combo of Grealish and Mahrez. And we all know that our central midfield struggles without Bernardo.

Let's hope we don't see that lineup again against a good side.

Bright notes: Cancelo's cross, Haaland's heroics and Akanji looking very stable again.
Let's hope we don't see that lineup again against anyone.

Decent footballer who's struggling at the moment. He's started trying too hard to make things happen. He was used to having an overlapping full back at Villa, that's clearly not going to happen here. Pep needs to redefine his role if we're going to see the best of him.
Spot on this.

Whilst Mahrez and Grealish were disappointing last night how much of that is linked to what Pep asks of them / the role of the full backs.

Mahrez loves using Kyle’s overlaps as a means of getting space.

Grealish has had some really good games but ones like last night are his standard one - looks to be a little bit too safe. Up to Pep to find a role / style that allows him to maximise his performances for us.

At some stage of the season we have players who drop in / out of top form. Ala Phil recently, I’m sure Jack and Riyad will have periods where they show their worth.

It’s was a flatter, controlled performance first half, we look so much better when there is a bit on intensity to our game.

There’s usually a reaction to such a slow start performance and hopefully Wolves are on the receiving end on Saturday.

I think the problem is he's not really an 8 either, i thought the plan was for him to play there eventually but i'm not sure he's shown the work rate.
But there is only one way to find out...

The issue there is that as i recall he had a fairly free role at Villa. They would have a striker and he would play anywhere along the front line where he could find space. And they would always look to him. Watkins would be the out and out striker and Targett would be an overlapping LB when he would start from the left wing position but he would just look for space anywhere.

He isn't going to get that with us. We asking him to hold a position so we have passing options. Maybe he is better suited to one of our 3 mid positions.
He needs to be given the freedom to roam that KDB and Bernardo have and therefore be used as a back up to either for now. Until he's given that opportunity rating him as a left wide player is a wasted exercise enjoyed principally by his detractors both City fans and non fans alike.

No chance that happens when we’ve got KDB, Gundo and Bernado who all play that role.
Gundo is not like KDB or Bernardo. Regardless, Grealish should be given the opportunity to rotate into that group. JMO

He needs to be given the freedom to roam that KDB and Bernardo have and therefore be used as a back up to either for now. Until he's given that opportunity rating him as a left wide player is a wasted exercise enjoyed principally by his detractors both City fans and non fans alike.
I agree. The passive role he has got doesn't suit his nature, needs to be up and at em having a go.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.