Boxing's just great.

leighton said:
I used to love Koysta Tzyu he was 1 of the greatest light Wealterweight's of all time for me. Its a shame he was avoided but my god what a puncher he was. The kos he had were stunning. It was so sad to see him retiring in his corner against Hatton but what a top class fighter he was.

Yeah mate our kid sent me the video of this fight from L.A. way back then... for those that haven't seen the knockdown and wobble then get on this:0

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPBJoQp7aH4[/youtube]<br /><br />-- Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:21 pm --<br /><br />
buzzer1 said:
leighton said:
I used to love Koysta Tzyu he was 1 of the greatest light Wealterweight's of all time for me. Its a shame he was avoided but my god what a puncher he was. The kos he had were stunning. It was so sad to see him retiring in his corner against Hatton but what a top class fighter he was.

Yeah mate our kid sent me the video of this fight from L.A. way back then... for those that haven't seen the knockdown and wobble then get on this:0... infact Judah hits him with some fantastic shots and Tszyu just kept coming, hard as nails him.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPBJoQp7aH4[/youtube]

Re: Boxings just great.

tidyman said:
Watching a true all time great live in action is an experience that you'll never forget and I've been lucky enough to see quite a few of those mentioned in the flesh.

Watching boxing on TV is good but being ringside or not far away really shows you how tough those people are. It's why I have even defended Audley on here, when people have called him a shit house and a coward. No one who climbs through those ropes is a coward.

A lot of my favourite fighters over the years have not been world class or even close to it but grafters with limited ability but heart of a lion. Probably my favourite fighter in this catogory was the late Najib Daho.

Having watched most of Hatton's fights. Loads of the clashes between Benn/Eubank/ Watson/Collins and many more top fighters, I still think my favourite all time fight was that crazy Saturday afternoon at The Free Trade Hall when Daho put Pat Cowdell away in the first round.

This one...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsHs1dKtJ2o[/youtube]

ono said:
leighton said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Didn't see it myself but the reports were hardly glowing, he let Malignaggi control the speed and tempo of the fight. Split decision is probably because he was fighting in Malignaggi home but still if you struggle against Malignaggi you need to go away and work on some things as Mayweather would school him.

Money is to a higher level. I would back any boxer to have Broner's number. He's exciting and everyone wants to see him getting beaten. If someone is willing to trade or let him land at will he will dominate and win fights. Set the tempo against Broner and he struggles. Might see him dropping back down the weights. He isnt ready for that weight class yet.

Remember when Ricky Hatton moved up to Welterweight to win his Welterweight title it was like he lost a edge and didnt look great in winning the title thats just the way it goes at times. I wont knock Broner for winning the title he was up against a poor champion in my opinion. There were stronger champions than Paulie. Thats boxing for you.
Hatton didn't look great at 147 because he fought a severely underrated southpaw who had excellent skills and more importantly, threw punches in combinations. A stylistic nightmare for a fighter who has limited defensive and in-fighting (barring holding) skills. And the other guy he fought was Mayweather. He basically fought two far, far, far technically superior fighters. Such an underrated and unlucky fighter was Luis Collazo. He's back in title contention now after winning a few days ago.

I think the Broner - Malignaggi fight was close because Broner is an idiot. He could have easily gone up another few levels. The fight was close because Paulie was shoe-shining (whilst having no effect on Broner) and Broner was messing about. He's an idiot, and at some point he will come unstuck, unless he changes his behaviour. There's too many dangerous fighters between 140-147 for him to spend his time arseing around.

Oh I know there are some brilliant fighters in those weights. I think that they could do a super 6 in that weight section if they wanted but its highly unlikely. I know 1 other division were I would love to see it is in the Super Bamtamweight division and thats were we would see some amazing fights in that division. I honestly think this is the best division out there and the hardest division to win a World title as its stacked with dangerous fighters.

leighton said:
ono said:
leighton said:
Money is to a higher level. I would back any boxer to have Broner's number. He's exciting and everyone wants to see him getting beaten. If someone is willing to trade or let him land at will he will dominate and win fights. Set the tempo against Broner and he struggles. Might see him dropping back down the weights. He isnt ready for that weight class yet.

Remember when Ricky Hatton moved up to Welterweight to win his Welterweight title it was like he lost a edge and didnt look great in winning the title thats just the way it goes at times. I wont knock Broner for winning the title he was up against a poor champion in my opinion. There were stronger champions than Paulie. Thats boxing for you.
Hatton didn't look great at 147 because he fought a severely underrated southpaw who had excellent skills and more importantly, threw punches in combinations. A stylistic nightmare for a fighter who has limited defensive and in-fighting (barring holding) skills. And the other guy he fought was Mayweather. He basically fought two far, far, far technically superior fighters. Such an underrated and unlucky fighter was Luis Collazo. He's back in title contention now after winning a few days ago.

I think the Broner - Malignaggi fight was close because Broner is an idiot. He could have easily gone up another few levels. The fight was close because Paulie was shoe-shining (whilst having no effect on Broner) and Broner was messing about. He's an idiot, and at some point he will come unstuck, unless he changes his behaviour. There's too many dangerous fighters between 140-147 for him to spend his time arseing around.

Oh I know there are some brilliant fighters in those weights. I think that they could do a super 6 in that weight section if they wanted but its highly unlikely. I know 1 other division were I would love to see it is in the Super Bamtamweight division and thats were we would see some amazing fights in that division. I honestly think this is the best division out there and the hardest division to win a World title as its stacked with dangerous fighters.
Brodie was a very strong bantam don't you think?

buzzer1 said:
tidyman said:
I still think my favourite all time fight was that crazy Saturday afternoon at The Free Trade Hall when Daho put Pat Cowdell away in the first round[/b][/u].

This one...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsHs1dKtJ2o[/youtube]

That's the one mate.

Still gives me goosebumps watching that.

For all my admiration for true world class fighters, I think what professional boxing is all about is people like Daho.

Didn't Njaib Daho pass away a good few years ago ? Seem to remember he did as he was a 'friend of a friend' at the time, iirc he was a chef in town too.

Sadly, we've lost a lot of footage of great fights involving local and european level fighters from the 70's and 80's that are no longer available to watch anywhere, fights like Jimmy Cable v Said Skouma, a great shame that if you didn't see it at the time, you most likely never will (unless a copy is found in someone's attic one day), in fact, these days you're lucky if you can get even a brief summary of the fight, yet it had everything, and up there with any of the big name great fights of any era I've seen, I suppose it's a bit like the Jim Melrose goal against Notts County, just the memories now.

Dirty Harry said:
Didn't Njaib Daho pass away a good few years ago ? Seem to remember he did as he was a 'friend of a friend' at the time, iirc he was a chef in town too.

Sadly, we've lost a lot of footage of great fights involving local and european level fighters from the 70's and 80's that are no longer available to watch anywhere, fights like Jimmy Cable v Said Skouma, a great shame that if you didn't see it at the time, you most likely never will (unless a copy is found in someone's attic one day), in fact, these days you're lucky if you can get even a brief summary of the fight, yet it had everything, and up there with any of the big name great fights of any era I've seen, I suppose it's a bit like the Jim Melrose goal against Notts County, just the memories now.

Amazingly it's almost 20 years to the day since Daho was killed. In a traffic accident while he was on holiday back home in Morrocco. You're right about him been a chef.

tidyman said:
Dirty Harry said:

Amazingly it's almost 20 years to the day since Daho was killed. In a traffic accident while he was on holiday back home in Morrocco. You're right about him been a chef.

Thanks for confirming that mate, interestingly, the clip there is with Pat Cowdell (who to be fair was waaay past his best at that point) but he (Cowdell) actually lost on a split decision to the great Salvador Sanchez, who, a few years later also died in a car crash, seems fighting Pat Cowdell and driving aren't good for you.

billfromthehill said:
leighton said:
ono said:

Brodie was a very strong bantam don't you think?

IF your on about Michael Brodie then yes he was a good fighter so unlucky not to be a World Champion but at that level he was found out. So unlucky against Wille Jorrin if he didnt get put on the floor in the 10th round he could of won that fight. He was doing great in the fight up until the KD and lost in the end 1 judge had it a draw I think.
Theres a fight with In-Jin Chi thats well worth a look and again Brodie missed out as it was a draw but my god that was some war. Also lost to Scott Harrison in a World title fight. Back then Scott was a brilliant fighter strong and powerfull its a shame he messed up outside the ring as that lad in my opinion was the best Scottish fighter I have ever seen he was amazing strong and a warrior.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.