Boxing's just great.

a good one to look at is Roy Jones jnr v Montel Griffin 2, first fight Roy was winning but having more trouble than usual, he caught up with Griffin in the 9th i think and he took a knee but Jones let a couple go while he was down and got DQd. Not happy at seeing his perfect record go he made some statement in the rematch, post fight interview worth a watch also

bluemc1 said:
a good one to look at is Roy Jones jnr v Montel Griffin 2, first fight Roy was winning but having more trouble than usual, he caught up with Griffin in the 9th i think and he took a knee but Jones let a couple go while he was down and got DQd. Not happy at seeing his perfect record go he made some statement in the rematch, post fight interview worth a watch also

nice one i will watch when i get back in after.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhzjiVpnrOo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqMzpf39UU0[/youtube]

Dirty Harry said:
tidyman said:
Dirty Harry said:
Didn't Njaib Daho pass away a good few years ago ? Seem to remember he did as he was a 'friend of a friend' at the time, iirc he was a chef in town too.

Sadly, we've lost a lot of footage of great fights involving local and european level fighters from the 70's and 80's that are no longer available to watch anywhere, fights like Jimmy Cable v Said Skouma, a great shame that if you didn't see it at the time, you most likely never will (unless a copy is found in someone's attic one day), in fact, these days you're lucky if you can get even a brief summary of the fight, yet it had everything, and up there with any of the big name great fights of any era I've seen, I suppose it's a bit like the Jim Melrose goal against Notts County, just the memories now.

Amazingly it's almost 20 years to the day since Daho was killed. In a traffic accident while he was on holiday back home in Morrocco. You're right about him been a chef.

Thanks for confirming that mate, interestingly, the clip there is with Pat Cowdell (who to be fair was waaay past his best at that point) but he (Cowdell) actually lost on a split decision to the great Salvador Sanchez, who, a few years later also died in a car crash, seems fighting Pat Cowdell and driving aren't good for you.

Perhaps a little unfair to say Cowdell was that far gone. He was only 32. Not going to argue over it though. I don't think he ever really got over that one punch fight against Azumah Nelson a year earlier.

Over all, he was in a different class to Najib. As he proved in the rematch at Aston Villa. It's what made the first fight so special because it was so unexpected. Najib didn't really have a punch on him and Cowdell ( The Nelson fight apart ) was renowed for been able to take a heavy dig. That night in Birmingham was another lively evening too. But more for what went on outside the ring.

tidyman said:
Dirty Harry said:
tidyman said:
Amazingly it's almost 20 years to the day since Daho was killed. In a traffic accident while he was on holiday back home in Morrocco. You're right about him been a chef.

Thanks for confirming that mate, interestingly, the clip there is with Pat Cowdell (who to be fair was waaay past his best at that point) but he (Cowdell) actually lost on a split decision to the great Salvador Sanchez, who, a few years later also died in a car crash, seems fighting Pat Cowdell and driving aren't good for you.

Perhaps a little unfair to say Cowdell was that far gone. He was only 32. Not going to argue over it though. I don't think he ever really got over that one punch fight against Azumah Nelson a year earlier.

Over all, he was in a different class to Najib. As he proved in the rematch at Aston Villa. It's what made the first fight so special because it was so unexpected. Najib didn't really have a punch on him and Cowdell ( The Nelson fight apart ) was renowed for been able to take a heavy dig. That night in Birmingham was another lively evening too. But more for what went on outside the ring.

No probs mate and me neither, as I saw/see it, most fighters have one , maybe two absolute wars in them and they're never the same again, others just go through their whole career pretty much going to the wire, I saw Cowdell as the former, his fight with Sanchez was brutal and Pat gave it everything, was never the same fighter after that in my eyes.

Re the Nelson bout, tbh I worried about him in that fight, was all wrong for him, Nelson had given Sanchez a right old fright despite being a relative novice as I remember it at that point, so he had a really hard job to do, but suppose in many ways it was the way he had to go, I always remember pre fight Nelson being interviewed on 'Saint and Greavsie' by Jimmy Greaves, Greaves offered his hand out to test how hard Nelson could dig, he duly obliged, gave it a right crack and you could tell from Greaves's face and the sound that it fuckin hurt lol, later I'm sure it transpired he suffered numerous breaks and dislocations in his fingers, was funny at the time though.

Comrade Buka said:
Grown men beating each other up. Sport for confused neanderthals.

Grown men running round a field in shorts chasing a ball?

Ricky Burns fighting this weekend on Sky Sports a mandatory fight could be a good 1 as Burns looked IFFY last time out. He needs to put on a show and a good win could set up bigger fights.

bluemoon27 said:
really looking forward to next weeks Mayweather-Alvarez can see there being an upset
Is there a price at the bookies for Alvarez?
Can see an upset me self.<br /><br />-- Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:46 pm --<br /><br />
Comrade Buka said:
Grown men beating each other up. Sport for confused neanderthals.
No one asked you to come on this thread , did they?

billfromthehill said:
bluemoon27 said:
really looking forward to next weeks Mayweather-Alvarez can see there being an upset
Is there a price at the bookies for Alvarez?
Can see an upset me self.

Best priced 3/1 at Stan James at the moment.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.