Brandon Barker for Navas?

mosssideblue said:
Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
mosssideblue said:
Lets suppose we introduce an EDS player against borough and he has a reasonable /good game but we lose. He would probably not be seen again on the bench this season as all we have left to fight for will be the League and CL and as others have said, we would not have someone drop out to let an EDS player warm the bench on his behalf.

How would that affect his mental state. Was used, played well and now ignored.

There is only one right time to introduce these players and that is when the club deem them competent enough.
None of us on here can make that call

Wouldn't it effect them more if they never got a chance though. Was never used, never played and always ignored. As I said we could lose with our first team out. You seemed so scared and have so much fear in giving them a chance. If playing agaisnt boro for ten minutes isn't the right time then not one will play again this season. Going off what you've said and others the only time they should play is pre season or if we are 5-0 up.

It's as if you have to be 24, gone on ten loans or world class straight away, if not then you won't get a chance. And if we lose it's your fault. Well give players like mangala months to be good - make as many mistakes as you like. but if your not good straight from the off then Bye then. We are gonna end up like chelsea, loads of great young players who should be playing for chelsea probably save them Millions in transfer fees. You never know barker could do the same for us, maybe he is good enough.......................

I was trying to put another perspective on how someone might feel under a different scenario.

If you read my comments from earlier you will note I have no gripe with introducing youngsters but not whilst our first team needs to gel better than it has of late, partiularly when we want them to turn up and play like we know they can against the chavs.

Several have asked along this thread but no one has come back and said why they feel Barker is good enough. Offering he does it in the EDS is a bit of a false argument in my view.

I don't think any rational City fan would not want to see our youngsters on the pitch, but it has to be the right circumstances for the individual and the club.

He's lightning fast, possibly as quick as Navas, he's two footed, he's direct and he can cross and shoot. He deserves a shot as he's exactly what's missing from the first team, if he gets half an hour and is quiet then he realises how much more work has to be put in. There's a chance that he might just adapt and become an asset worth his place on the bench already though, similar to how Johnson was used. That's worth a gamble imo.

The consistent argument which keeps coming up about not risking young players in the cup because we might lose, is just so much bullshit. It's a worthless argument.

We equally might lose because the senior players are focused on the Chelsea game & play below par, like they did vs Newcastle in the League Cup, & it could be the inclusion of a couple of kids livens them, & the crowd, up & actually wins us the game. Or having a kid play for 45 mins leaves us the option of bringing on Navas with fresh legs against a tired defence.

It's not a black & white argument that we are worse off. We have seen many half arsed performances in such games over the years, by 'senior professionals' & we have seen some brilliant performances by kids in all levels of football many many many of them.

What is more, so have other teams with their kids, it must add up to 1000s of occasions in football where young kids have come in & played a blinder.

They haven't all trained with the first team for two years previously or any of that bollocks, they train a bit, play & do the business.

It's a common thing, & the idea we would be taking some huge risk by doing it, is utter shite.

mosssideblue said:
agyeiboateng said:
Didsbury Dave said:
You don't throw kids in "for the sake of it". You take a long term development strategy to ready them for top level football. Close to the top of that development pyramid is first team involvement: first training, then squad, then bit-part action, then games. Obviously each level of the pyramid must be successfully climbed to progress to the next.

But of course what you don't do is compromise precious points or trophies. That would be ridiculous. So, barring extenuating circumstances like we had with Pozo recently, you might give a player at the top of the pyramid 20 minutes when we are 3-0 up. And maybe progress from there.

It's not complicated stuff. The needs of the first team will always take priority. It is up to the Academy and the players whether they have it in them to reach that level. The days of "giving young players a go" went with the likes of Swales and Pearce.

I want us to play a strong team on Saturday so we progress in the cup and build a platform for the Chelsea game. That's priority. I would hazard a guess that a young player or two might be on the bench, because there's a good chance we could be in the "cruising" situation. But we don't take any risks on the result or the player's development.
What risks? This is so wrong. Toure is at the AFN, and Nasri is injured. Navas doesn't deserve to be starting as Arsenal showed. Why not play a youngster or let him come on as a sub. You honestly think a player like Barker can be much worse at the moment than Navas? Of course I am not saying Barker is better than Navas but sometimes a young player can inject a bit of buzz and fire that this city team is clearly lacking at the moment. This was evident against Burnely, Everton and Arsenal where we failed to take 3 points.

Oh dear. Navas might not have produced the final ball (to no one waiting in the box) but he put one hell of a shift in against the Arse and could walk off with his head held high.

Oh dear indeed. Putting in one hell of a shift should be a pre-requisite, not something that guarantees you a start in the next game.

agyeiboateng said:
what's the point of spending all this money on the academy if you are not going to bring through the talented players?

Only thing i miss from the pre take over days is the lack of academy players that have come through since. Neither Mancini or Pellegrini has shown faith in the youngsters. This was confirmed to me against Newcastle in the league cup where he fielded the first team and not one academy player. Newcastle played mostly their youngsters and won the game!

Of course I am not saying just put any average academy player in the starting line up just because they are from the academy, but Barker for example should be getting some minutes. Navas hasn't offered that much, and Barker surely deserves a shot even as a sub?

Barcelona has proven that giving talented players a chance can save you spending millions on players abroad. Look at Pool with Sterling and Spurs with Kane.
The likes of Bryan, and Barker deserve a chance

While there are no guarantees with the money spent on the Academy what it does give the kids is the best chance possible to try and break in to the first team.

No. Navas has been there done that and wore the T-shirt and in our team he, is doing what the manager expects him to do and has been training with the first team a lot longer. As I mentioned in my previous post Lopes struggled against Watford in the FA Cup after been given a starting place against West Ham in the Capital One Cup semi final second leg. He was loaned out this season to get more experience in a first team environment. By all means play him in today's friendly against Hamburg and take him on this summer's tour of Australia and a place on the bench, but for this season Barker has still a way to go before he doesn't look out of place in our first team.

mosssideblue said:
twosips said:
mosssideblue said:
I was trying to put another perspective on how someone might feel under a different scenario.

If you read my comments from earlier you will note I have no gripe with introducing youngsters but not whilst our first team needs to gel better than it has of late, partiularly when we want them to turn up and play like we know they can against the chavs.

Several have asked along this thread but no one has come back and said why they feel Barker is good enough. Offering he does it in the EDS is a bit of a false argument in my view.

I don't think any rational City fan would not want to see our youngsters on th epitch, but it has to be the right circumstances for the individual and the club.

So we're not allowed to think he has the potential and ability based on his viewings in the EDS game?

I think he's good enough cos i've watched his game and i think he just about everything you'd want from a modern footballer to succeed at the very highest level eventually and we need to give him game time to help push him on.

Arguing he's only ever done it in the EDS as a negative means that youre saying EDS means nowt and not one player EVER could go straight from the EDS into the first team by your standards which is, quite frankly, bullshit.

My goodness, I wish people would read a thread properly before responding with kneejerk typicality.

Where did I say in my post that your not allowed to think he has potential?
Youv'e watched him compete with PL or Championship players? thought not
He's everything youd want from a modern footballer - this was what you decided to throw back at me, but you havn't answered it (along with others who has stated the same) WHAT HAS HE GOT?
Doing it in the EDS is far different from doing it in the PL. Your counter argument suggests those two leagues are on the same level

Anyway, not wanting a pissing contest with you but would rather you read a post properly before going off on one.

he only gonna prove himself by getting a proper chance in games like the boro one. no one has said anything about the eds being on the same level at the premier league. But you've just basically said the eds doesn't count and its a false argument. theres no point in the eds then. Barkley, shaw, chambers, sterling, Stones all managed to get in there first team, because they were deemed good enough at youth level. How our young players meant to progress if your saying thew eds team doesn't count.

loads of of posters have described what he has got. Pace skill, goal scoring ability he's been amazing all year. how can you possibly describe what else he has got ?.

I am stunned at the responses in this thread.

If a team of Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Mangala, Clichy, Fernando, Fernandinho, Milner, Silva, Barker & Aguero cant beat Boro we have serious problems.

We need to use games against teams in lower leagues to blood the kids. This is a perfect opportunity. We give Barker a chance and in turn rest Navas for Chelsea.

Paulmcfc2703 said:
I am stunned at the responses in this thread.

If a team of Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Mangala, Clichy, Fernando, Fernandinho, Milner, Silva, Barker & Aguero cant beat Boro we have serious problems.

We need to use games against teams in lower leagues to blood the kids. This is a perfect opportunity. We give Barker a chance and in turn rest Navas for Chelsea.

Which is exactly what I said in my OP......

So many of the arguments against playing him seem strange to me.

The facts of the matter are that he's an outstanding young talent at his age group, and is showcasing regularly why he's ready for another step up.

He's quick, skilful, hungry to beat his man, tough, both footed and scores all types of goals. Those saying he's too weak haven't seen him play - he was kicked off the park against Schalke but got up every time to skin his man again.

As others have said before me it's always a risk putting any new player in the team, whether it's a new signing or youth. So playing him against Boro doesn't appear any different. Didn't Jordan Rossiter play for the scouse against them and score? Thus highlighting the impact they can have.

Barker could be as good as Sturridge one day and I hope it's with us.

Paulmcfc2703 said:
I am stunned at the responses in this thread (1).

If a team of Hart, Zabaleta, Kompany, Mangala, Clichy, Fernando, Fernandinho, Milner, Silva, Barker & Aguero cant beat Boro we have serious problems (2).

(3) We need to use games against teams in lower leagues to blood the kids. (4) This is a perfect opportunity. We give Barker a chance and in turn rest Navas for Chelsea.

(1) Why are you stunned, you have an arguement for and many have an argument against, that's human nature
(2) no one would disagree
(3) few would disagree
(4) I would diasgree (others may or may not) not because he's not good enough (I couldn't say he is or he isn't), but the first team need time collectively together the fix the things that are broken

Whatever our collective views on this whether in agreement or poles apart, youth will only get a chance when the boss determines that the circumstances are right.

Whoever plays on Sat, we will all be routing for

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.