Brandon Barker

Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeMercer'sWay said:
dajd1984 said:
He was brilliant tonight away at Spurs U21. Quiet during the first half up against Kyle Walker but switched to play on the right in the second half and was a real threat cutting inside and out. Always on the front foot looking to go past players and make an impact. Spurs fans were asking who he was too.

I'm sure Patrick will know when he's ready to start training with the first team, and once he shows there that he can compete he will hopefully get some game time in the cup.

if he was quiet against a not match-fit Kyle Walker then he's not ready for the first team yet.

In a world where we saw Connor Wickham make our side look like shite last season I don't think its fair to judge on one match, he's shown a huge amount of promise and it would be beneficial to him, and the academy as a whole to see that get rewarded, even if its 10minutes against say Burnley.

mad zab said:
I just have a feeling that Brandon would flourish with better players.

I don't see any reason why the odd game on the bench couldn't happen. If we are winning comfortably then he could get 10 or 15 minutes.
That is pozo's spot atm :p

The one thing that concerns me is that i just can't see these kids getting chances. Genuinely worry it'll be a case of 'we'll see' for a very long time and before we know it we've wasted em.

twosips said:
The one thing that concerns me is that i just can't see these kids getting chances. Genuinely worry it'll be a case of 'we'll see' for a very long time and before we know it we've wasted em.

Yep agree the only way to see if young player is good enough is to play them quit often not 1 or half a game then the player is not seen again in the pitch for another season! The main problem is if our manager is not told to play them they won play them because the manager is under pressure to win trophies, also he knows he won't be around for more that 3 seasons so why should he play them?!

waspish said:
twosips said:

Yep agree the only way to see if young player is good enough is to play them quit often not 1 or half a game then the player is not seen again in the pitch for another season! The main problem is if our manager is not told to play them they won play them because the manager is under pressure to win trophies, also he knows he won't be around for more that 3 seasons so why should he play them?!
And if he did and they cost us match's and perhaps trophies then you'd have people asking for his head on here for playing them.

ColinLee said:
waspish said:
twosips said:

And if he did and they cost us match's and perhaps trophies then you'd have people asking for his head on here for playing them.

Doubt it fans give younger players more leeway and we should try to play at least play 1 young player a game..

waspish said:
ColinLee said:
waspish said:

Doubt it fans give younger players more leeway and we should try to play at least play 1 young player a game..

None of the previous batch were good enough for where we are now, hopefully the next lot will be but they are only just reaching the level where we have to decide whether the odd game on the bench is better for their development or a couple of seasons on loan. I think it's only after a couple of seasons away if they are good enough the manager should be expected to use them if we don't want to jeopardize our chances of trophies.

ColinLee said:
waspish said:
twosips said:

Not a single city fan would have been disappointed to see 3/4 academy players in and around the squad for the Newcastle Carling cup game. Instead we got none and only first team players who put in an insipidly shite display anyway. If we're not gonna give them a chance in games like that then when do we?

twosips said:
ColinLee said:
waspish said:

Not a single city fan would have been disappointed to see 3/4 academy players in and around the squad for the Newcastle Carling cup game. Instead we got none and only first team players who put in an insipidly shite display anyway. If we're not gonna give them a chance in games like that then when do we?
I'm not saying they shouldn't have been there and given a chance (if good enough I've love to see at least one in EVERY match) but there would be a lot of whinging and whining on here if we did and they messed up.

I think we will see our academy players getting a chance because now some are starting to look like they can be good enough.

I don't see us doing what Liverpool did with Sterling for example and put him in at 17, I think unless we have someone truly exceptional then I don't see them getting regular game time until after a few loans.

It might be 21-22 until Brandon sees our first team in the league, same with Lopes and Pozo.

These players will get a few cup game experiences but to become a regular they will go on loan until they are ready in my opinion.

Like I said, unless we have the next Messi I can't see many becoming regulars before they are 21.

Ryan Mason at Tottenham has been on loan after loan until he was 23 and eventually properly broke into the Spurs team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.