Brentford (H) - Post-Match Thread

we have the disscussion after most matches. Hit on the break is the default for nearly every opponent. Smash and grab has been successful in few games but teams do it because the alternative is suicide. I wonder what would the game be like if City matched tactic for tactic. We have the players to launch lightning fast counters, and a defence bolstered by deep mids verging on impregnable. In theory anyway. Why it wont happen is Pep's football ethos, "keep the ball, be patient, create gaps". Passing sideways and backwards is part of this, and the trophy cabinet is proof that it works. This puts a burden on the forward players to always be available or dragging players out of position, midfielders have to know who and when to pass to, which is just as crucial. Add to that the rotation that is necessary for success in the prem, and is why so few players fit Pep's blueprint.
As fans, who essentially are ball-watchers, reactive, it is hard to appreciate all that's going on off the ball we'd need four pair of eyes. Imo, it's only "boring" if you expect every pass to be a "killer", or at least forward.
It must be boring to opposition fans watching their teams chasing all over the pitch and then losing possession to the press or lumping it almost immediately. For years WE knew exactly what that felt like....

Quietest I've seen Bernie for a while, but we always have someone in the team who steps up for a few weeks.

It's Mahrez, Kev and Cancelo right now.

Think Foden has been struggling in that false nine for a bit, just doesn't get the most out of him.

Would rather see Gundo take up the false nine and have Phil replace Sterling wide left or on the right when Mahrez doesn't play.

Loved Stones' confidence in bringing the ball so far forward, including a few dribbles. Was hoping he was going to unleash one or two. Came deep into their half on quite a few occasions.

Quietest I've seen Bernie for a while, but we always have someone in the team who steps up for a few weeks.

It's Mahrez, Kev and Cancelo right now.

Think Foden has been struggling in that false nine for a bit, just doesn't get the most out of him.

Would rather see Gundo take up the false nine and have Phil replace Sterling wide left or on the right when Mahrez doesn't play.
i think foden playing is to close the keeper down when they waste time then try play from the back Jesus best option but out at present

Was going to post on that other thread regarding seats! But can’t be arsed encouraging threads like that they are laughable.

we have the disscussion after most matches. Hit on the break is the default for nearly every opponent. Smash and grab has been successful in few games but teams do it because the alternative is suicide. I wonder what would the game be like if City matched tactic for tactic. We have the players to launch lightning fast counters, and a defence bolstered by deep mids verging on impregnable. In theory anyway. Why it wont happen is Pep's football ethos, "keep the ball, be patient, create gaps". Passing sideways and backwards is part of this, and the trophy cabinet is proof that it works. This puts a burden on the forward players to always be available or dragging players out of position, midfielders have to know who and when to pass to, which is just as crucial. Add to that the rotation that is necessary for success in the prem, and is why so few players fit Pep's blueprint.
As fans, who essentially are ball-watchers, reactive, it is hard to appreciate all that's going on off the ball we'd need four pair of eyes. Imo, it's only "boring" if you expect every pass to be a "killer", or at least forward.
It must be boring to opposition fans watching their teams chasing all over the pitch and then losing possession to the press or lumping it almost immediately. For years WE knew exactly what that felt like....

Re fans being ball watchers. I completely agree. I do try to only have the ball in my peripheral vision. You get a totally different perspective.
However I didn't go last night as I don't get home until after 1.00am for night games, so watched it on TV. Totally different I tend to ball watch as impossible to watch it properly because of the constantly changing camera angles.
I suppose people who don't attend see a very different game.
City's movement is incredible, ball watchers cannot appreciate it.

If Chelsea came to park the bus why wouldn't Brentford.
Better get used to it because that's the way it is going to be for the remainder of the season.

It's simplistic, but the way I see it Pep's City 1.0 was much happier going punch for punch and being quicker in transition and we got dumped out of Europe by teams because it becomes like a heavyweight slogging boxing match and they only need to land a lucky punch and we are knocked out.

Pep's City 2.0 is built on control, and not giving the other team the opportunity to land a punch. Gary Neville described it as Mayweather boxing, and we've got to a CL final playing like that. It's a little slower to watch against some of the smaller teams, but it's more sustainable. Though the real test is Europe again. We'll know at the end of the season!

i think foden playing is to close the keeper down when they waste time then try play from the back Jesus best option but out at present
Yep, we don't get the best out of his offensively there, but his pressing and positional play is secondary only to Jesus.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.