Brentford (H) | Post-Match Thread

I love Pep to bits, and will always be thankful for what he's achieved here. But he's a stubborn bastard, and it can sometimes be a detriment to the team. Substitutions have always been his blindspot; Jack played one of his best games in a City shirt on Wednesday night and didn't get a single minute today: that's an insult, not just to him as a player but to our collective intelligence. It was obvious the attack needed a fresh injection of impetus, (we'd still be out there now looking for a second goal) from the 60th minute onwards. It just wasn't working. And he completely ignored the one obvious change that would have livened up the attack. The one change he did make was made too late. His obstinacy got the better of him. The players were garbage, but he had several options to change the dynamic that, bewilderingly, he overlooked.

He chops and changes for too much for my liking. When we get our squad back from the World Cup, he needs to settle on a definitive, best 11. We need a settled team. Pick a formula, stick to it, and fuck off the experimenting. Those who don't make the cut can play the domestic cups, until one of the regulars plays themselves out of contention, shit bust. The reason Arsenal are where they are is not because they are head and shoulders above us, but because Arteta knows his best 11 and has been playing it since the season started. It's hard for us to build any rhythm when the team changes on a regular basis. And I don't buy into this bullshit that we don't have a best 11 and our squad needs to spread the appearances. We do have a best 11, and it's up to Pep to decide upon it; that's why he's paid the big bucks.

I'm still confident we'll win the League, but Christ we're making it difficult for ourselves. Onwards and upwards. CTID.
Basically we should start our best 11 and stick with them unless it isn't possible (for the usual reasons).
Pep needs to get the blinkers off sometimes and reduce the experiments too.
I am far from confident that we will win the league this season.

Let's start with allowing the time wasting
What is the point of waving your arm at the keeper and turning your back?
At another point he threw his head to one side in a "come on" type motion

Foden fouled, allows play to continue as it looks like an advantage, its broken up by Brentford, play on

Brentford player fouled, allows play to continue as it looks like an advantage, it's broken up by City, whistle blown foul awarded

Fouling when City were taking a corner. Play stopped and a retake, when a pen should be awarded

Haaland booked for turning his man who was totally committed

Added time
Laporte down for 7 and a half minutes
Play stopped for the linesman's equipment failure which was another minute and a half
Four subs (I think)
All the time wasting as above and more
Ten minutes time added

Brentford celebration was two minutes, he added a further 57 seconds

It was a pathetically weak refereeing performance
Add to that excellent list,
allowing Brentford to stand close to the corner kicker but insisting Foden stands way behind the white marker on their corners

Our movement off the ball was non existent at times. We don't seem to be able to cut inside to the byeline anymore either?

Personally I disagree with this comment, Not having a pop by the way everyone has their own opinion and that's what forums are about (Had to get that in their because still some salty people on here after the defeat)!

This City side work their socks off basically every week leaving everything on the pitch as we've seen last week against Fulham. Yesterday was a big big off day we just weren't at it, The line up and tactical changes hampered us too. I think a result like that has been coming a while now, Too many changes every week to the side especially defensively we can't keep changing our centre backs, 14 games in and we never know from week to week who our best centre backs actually are.
Haaland should have been nowhere near the side yesterday too, He's not fit he didn't look right. We had an in form Alvarez fully fit sitting on the bench.

It's clear as day to see how much we miss Kyle Walker and how vital he is to the way we set up, Hopefully he's back fully fit for us for the last few months of the season.
I agree. But would add that the midfield is not functioning right either if Kev is off key like yesterday we struggle.
We are not creating overloads play is congested, slow and lateral. The key feature of yesterday's game indeed Chelsea as well was the transition when we lost possession, with us always looking vulnerable and likely to concede.
The league is still there to be won but we need to be better as in reality a 5 point gap probably flatters us.

We’ve been off the pace for a while now. Hopefully this break will give Pep chance to have a think and turn this around. Can’t really blame the World Cup as others around us are on fire. Seem to have lost the drive and I’m not sure why

One of the best things about getting beat is all the weird nostalgia that comes over people.

"We lack a real leader like Kompany"
"Never replaced Ferna"
Lads around me at the game were missing Sane of all people.

I just want to remind people that Ferna's record at Anfield was as bad as this season's. Every player you want back after a single performance also got beat (and usually a few more times than this current lot get beat).

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.