British and Irish Lions Tour - 2013

ianw16 said:
Had to change something. Backline didn't make a single line break in the second test. Not sure what you can do when, IMHO, the 9 & 10, whoever he picks there, are not very good. The Aussies are used to playing the AB's and SA. One team has an extremely skillful backline, the other use bish bash. The Lions backline won't worry them. As always, this will be won up front. If it's inconclusive, then it may come down to one break. In that case the Aussies would be favourites with Genia and Falau.

Thats true in some respects but the back line were starved of possession in the second test because the Lions opted to play too narrow and bulldoze their way over the gain line. It didnt work and it wont work on Saturday, we have talented backs who are redundant at the moment, we need to use them or we will lose without a doubt.

Blue Til Death said:
ianw16 said:
Had to change something. Backline didn't make a single line break in the second test. Not sure what you can do when, IMHO, the 9 & 10, whoever he picks there, are not very good. The Aussies are used to playing the AB's and SA. One team has an extremely skillful backline, the other use bish bash. The Lions backline won't worry them. As always, this will be won up front. If it's inconclusive, then it may come down to one break. In that case the Aussies would be favourites with Genia and Falau.

Thats true in some respects but the back line were starved of possession in the second test because the Lions opted to play too narrow and bulldoze their way over the gain line. It didnt work and it wont work on Saturday, we have talented backs who are redundant at the moment, we need to use them or we will lose without a doubt.

Phillips and Roberts won't help this at all though, the ball you get from Phillips is so slow because he weighs up whether he thinks he can make yards around the fringes against the flankers and second rows, his kicking is shite too. Hibbard might help at scrum time but he's worse than Youngs at everyting else. O'Brien is good, better than Tipuric though? Roberts is a good player, the ball won't be getting past him very often though. AWJ is playing because O'Driscoll isn't, they need leadership, not because he's the best option.

Sat here waiting for Leightons rant ;-)
Seems strange to drop BOD I thought he went well in the last two tests bar one shit pass but you do not get dropped for that. I also thought he would have led the team, last game for the Lions and all that.BOD is one of the few players who has the class to do that something special.
Looks like a very smash and bash team, Roberts will need to get over the gain line but we'll need quick ball and that has not happened in the last two tests.

Plan B make a call to Gareth, Barry, JPR and Willie John and hope for the bast ;-)

Blue Til Death said:
ianw16 said:

It didnt work because they didnt get over the gain line. That may change with Roberts, who is good at that. He is also a natural inside centre who looks to hit the inside of that 10-12 channel, whereas O'Driscoll and Davies are both naturally outside centres. The effect was to drift wide and hit the outside of the defenders. Roberts running back in may encourage the forwards to set up better platforms or get over the gain line more. Once that happens, Phillips, who I dont rate btw, plays better. Thats how Wales have played last few years and its worked OK.
I like the look of this side, though I would have played Cuthbert instead of Bowe. Faletau is a big positive, he and Lydiate work well as a pair

Uncle Wally One Ball said:
Blue Til Death said:
ianw16 said:

It didnt work because they didnt get over the gain line. That may change with Roberts, who is good at that. He is also a natural inside centre who looks to hit the inside of that 10-12 channel, whereas O'Driscoll and Davies are both naturally outside centres. The effect was to drift wide and hit the outside of the defenders. Roberts running back in may encourage the forwards to set up better platforms or get over the gain line more. Once that happens, Phillips, who I dont rate btw, plays better. Thats how Wales have played last few years and its worked OK. I like the look of this side, though I would have played Cuthbert instead of Bowe. Faletau is a big positive, he and Lydiate work well as a pair

They've not beaten the Aussies in years though iirc.

Going to be a huge game on Saturday morning. Two fantastic teams, world class players and a lot at stake.

Crusaders v Chiefs 0835 SS4. ;)

ianw16 said:

Rugger not my game of choice seen less than 10 live so I am wary of giving my view on the Lions but will give it a go.Turgid is the word that comes to mind to describe the lions in the first two tests,not a fan of RL but the "flair" that Kyle Eastmond shows is what is sadly missing from the lions.
Away to look for my tin hat.

Going back to my first comment this morning, BOD should be playing, however, these games can be won in the dressing room and in the mind as well as on the pitch, i just hope BOD is hugely involved in the team talks and getting the lads ready for battle, the Lions can win this if they have belief.
Im shocked BOD is missing but I still feel the Lions will edge it and make history!!

Blue Til Death said:
Going back to my first comment this morning, BOD should be playing, however, these games can be won in the dressing room and in the mind as well as on the pitch, i just hope BOD is hugely involved in the team talks and getting the lads ready for battle, the Lions can win this if they have belief.
Im shocked BOD is missing but I still feel the Lions will edge it and make history!!

May be historic, but I don't think it'll live long in the memory. Couldn't be compared with the 71 and 74 teams. This is a pretty ordinary Aussie team missing some key players. If they take a team like this to NZ in 4 years it could be as embarrassing as last time.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.