British and Irish Lions Tour - 2013

Justice pretty much done there. Aussies should be 2 up now. Both tests have seemed like two pretty average teams having an off day. Not good rugby.

Well done Australia you've actually won a sporting event this summer.

Seriously though they did deserve the win and I can't wait until next week.

JoeMercer'sWay said:
I find it quite pathetic that the best players from 4 northern hemisphere nations can't comfortably beat not the best side of not the best Southern hemisphere team, what does it say about the standard of our rugby?

Especially when it's comfortably their 4th possibly 5th Sport! If they held on to the ball that could've been convincing. Don't give us much hope next week if their back line clicks.

oman0115 said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:
I find it quite pathetic that the best players from 4 northern hemisphere nations can't comfortably beat not the best side of not the best Southern hemisphere team, what does it say about the standard of our rugby?

Especially when it's comfortably their 4th possibly 5th Sport! If they held on to the ball that could've been convincing. Don't give us much hope next week if their back line clicks.

Probably their 3rd in terms of winter sports, behind League and Rules. It has caught up a lot in the last couple of decades though, with the introduction of pro rugby and super rugby. There were only so many times NSW, QLD and, latterly, ACT could play each other in a season!

If Pocock was fit he would have made a hell of a difference in this series. Was thinking about how many players I would definitely want in an All Black team out of those 30 odd players; could only come up with Genia, who would stroll in.

ianw16 said:
oman0115 said:
JoeMercer'sWay said:

Probably their 3rd in terms of winter sports, behind League and Rules. It has caught up a lot in the last couple of decades though, with the introduction of pro rugby and super rugby. There were only so many times NSW, QLD and, latterly, ACT could play each other in a season!

If Pocock was fit he would have made a hell of a difference in this series. Was thinking about how many players I would definitely want in an All Black team out of those 30 odd players; could only come up with Genia, who would stroll in.

What about Folau? Give him space and he scores and was a top Origin player. Can't beleive he's had one attacking high ball kicked to him in two tests, Deans mustn't have seen any of his League highlights.

oman0115 said:
ianw16 said:
oman0115 said:

What about Folau? Give him space and he scores and was a top Origin player. Can't beleive he's had one attacking high ball kicked to him in two tests, Deans mustn't have seen any of his League highlights.

True, did consider him, but haven't seen enough of him yet. The AB's aren't exactly struggling for wingers though! One of the reasons I think they haven't really tested him under the high ball is possibly the fear of feeding him the ball in a broken field situation. We saw what he could do last week. In addition I think the Lions have struggled at 9 & 10. Both Phillips and Youngs have been awful, and I don't personally rate Sexton as anything other than a pretty average 10. Think the Lions were possibly expecting to be a lot more dominant up front than they have been, and the backline is very ordinary. Sacrilege to say it I suspect, but I reckon O'Driscoll is at least a couple of years past his sell by date.

ianw16 said:
oman0115 said:
ianw16 said:

True, did consider him, but haven't seen enough of him yet. The AB's aren't exactly struggling for wingers though! One of the reasons I think they haven't really tested him under the high ball is possibly the fear of feeding him the ball in a broken field situation. We saw what he could do last week. In addition I think the Lions have struggled at 9 & 10. Both Phillips and Youngs have been awful, and I don't personally rate Sexton as anything other than a pretty average 10. Think the Lions were possibly expecting to be a lot more dominant up front than they have been, and the backline is very ordinary. Sacrilege to say it I suspect, but I reckon O'Driscoll is at least a couple of years past his sell by date.

I was eluding to why haven't Aus hammered the balls to the corner for Folau to attack not the Lions peppering him, he's as good as unplayable in those situations. Yeah I think you're right about the forwards, think Gatland was hoping to strangle the Aussies but it hasn't worked that way.

oman0115 said:
ianw16 said:
oman0115 said:

I was eluding to why haven't Aus hammered the balls to the corner for Folau to attack not the Lions peppering him, he's as good as unplayable in those situations. Yeah I think you're right about the forwards, think Gatland was hoping to strangle the Aussies but it hasn't worked that way.

Got you. Possibly because they've not spent that much time in the opposition 22, and when they do some pillock knocks it on before anybody's got a chance to even think about that!
If they can get a settled backline for the Rugby Championship and cut out the errors they could still pose problems for NZ and SA, especially at home. On the other hand, play like they are currently and they could get turned over by a full strength Argentina.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.